Advice on buying a coffee machine, like Tassimo?

Found 22nd Mar 2009
Hi all.

Am considering buying my Mum-in Law a coffee machine but haven't a clue about them - all I drink is fizzy LOL!

I don't know whether to go for one of the pod machines like the Tassimo or Dolce Gusto or just a standard machine? I like the look of the pod ones but worry that the cost will be too much for her to keep up with?
Can anyone give me some ideas on the prices of these pods, please?

MIL at the moment just drinks Nescafe Instant but I saw her eyeing up the pod machines when they first came out and I don't know anything else I could get her (very fussy!)

I would really appreciate some help with this as would like to treat her as she really looks out for me and deserves a treat.

Ideally, I am looking to buy one from the Littlewoods group so I can use a discount code, which will help me and so maybe I can buy her some pods to start her off.
I will post a link to the machines available from them in post 2.

Thanks all!

13 Comments

If you have a search round on this site you'll prob come up with threads where pro's and con's have been weighed up before, might help:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned kettle ffs.

I can recommend the Tassimo, have had the two models and they are great.

My only beef with them is the lack of variety of t discs stocked in our supermarket, tend to have to get them online instead.

imo you should get one that takes normal ground coffee, cheaper and makes better coffee.

are you sure your mum in law needs one? just asking because most people who get these hardly ever use them.

I love my tassimo but if you buy the cappuccino you only get 8 for £3.29 so if you drink a lot its expensive. But most drinks you can get for it are very nice

I love my Dolce Gusto machine-i use it most days-its really easy and there are loads of choice of drinks

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;4710618

If you have a search round on this site you'll prob come up with threads … If you have a search round on this site you'll prob come up with threads where pro's and con's have been weighed up before, might help:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I didn't even think to look to be honest

AshleyRFC;4710627

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned kettle ffs.

She has a kettle already so that wouldn't make such a good present. I did say in my OP that I am considering buying her one and I did say that I am very stuck as to what to buy her as a present, so I feel your comment was a little bit harsh

Ginner;4710642

I can recommend the Tassimo, have had the two models and they are … I can recommend the Tassimo, have had the two models and they are great.My only beef with them is the lack of variety of t discs stocked in our supermarket, tend to have to get them online instead.

That is the kind of thing I am worried about, something she can just pick up when she is shopping would be best

michelleleemoo;4710650

]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/298142/tassimo-or-nespresso/]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/305360/tassimo-or-dolce-gusto-which-is-the/

Thank you! Didn't really swing one way or the other, though

phatboy123;4710657

imo you should get one that takes normal ground coffee, cheaper and makes … imo you should get one that takes normal ground coffee, cheaper and makes better coffee.are you sure your mum in law needs one? just asking because most people who get these hardly ever use them.

I think a normal one may be better by the sound of it. She just drinks normal coffee as far as I am aware, not espresso or cappacino. I don't want to buy something she won't use, but I know she drinks coffee a lot. Are the normal machines expensive to run? Like do you have to buy the beans?

alfie73;4710666

I love my tassimo but if you buy the cappuccino you only get 8 for £3.29 … I love my tassimo but if you buy the cappuccino you only get 8 for £3.29 so if you drink a lot its expensive. But most drinks you can get for it are very nice

See, I don't think she would really be after all different drinks in the long term, maybe a standard coffee machine would be better?

lucerysmum;4710954

I love my Dolce Gusto machine-i use it most days-its really easy and … I love my Dolce Gusto machine-i use it most days-its really easy and there are loads of choice of drinks

As above, thanks

So, can anyone advise me about a standard coffee machine, please?
What is the benefit of one over a kettle? (Sorry if thats a retard question! :giggle::)

Well i highly recommend you check out amazon, as there are loads of reviews to read :thumbsup:
]http//ww…y=0

you just buy pre-ground coffee for most of them, loads of good ones in tesco etc

benefit over a kettle, well lol a kettle just heats the water........
These machines heat the water and then push it through the coffee grounds to make coffee. Many have a steam output so you can make some lovely frothy milk (very nice for hot chocolate lol)

Original Poster

phatboy123;4711815

Well i highly recommend you check out amazon, as there are loads of … Well i highly recommend you check out amazon, as there are loads of reviews to read :thumbsup:]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coffee+machine&x=0&y=0you just buy pre-ground coffee for most of them, loads of good ones in tesco etcbenefit over a kettle, well lol a kettle just heats the water........These machines heat the water and then push it through the coffee grounds to make coffee. Many have a steam output so you can make some lovely frothy milk (very nice for hot chocolate lol)

Thank you I was reading through them after I posted and decided to go for ]this one

Great choice, it looks really stylish.

Original Poster

phatboy123;4711986

Great choice, it looks really stylish.

Good, good - it will look nice in her kitchen as she has black worktops and silver appliances
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. amazon echo idiots guide812
    2. Credit Card Debt Question...1017
    3. Google maps on Plusnet44
    4. What is gearbest like on warranty?55

See more discussions