Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Advice on buying a used car please?

Posted 5th Feb
Hello, I’m after some advice on buying a used car from a private seller. The vehicle is currently SORN so I’m under the impression I cannot test drive it due to no tax and therefore no insurance. Is there anyway around this other than seller taxing etc? What should I look out for please? I’ve put the reg into the DVLA site & it shows an mot was done last week. Anything else I should do beforehand? I just don’t want to complete the sale and the car go horribly wrong. I really don’t know much about cars so would appreciate any advice. Thanks very much
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 10:40

No I won’t buy it if I can’t take it for a test drive. This must happen a l …No I won’t buy it if I can’t take it for a test drive. This must happen a lot though so was wondering how people go about it

People probably take a chance and take it for a quick drive around the block
24 Comments
I’ve also checked the price vs value & the mileage is about average
Do not buy it if you buy it if you can't drive it.
No tax not a huge issue but consider getting a days insurance to drive it.
What is the car and how much is it
adamderak05/02/2020 09:44

Do not buy it if you buy it if you can't drive it.No tax not a huge issue …Do not buy it if you buy it if you can't drive it.No tax not a huge issue but consider getting a days insurance to drive it.What is the car and how much is it

It’s a Zafira 08 plate, £1500
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 09:46

It's not even that cheap. Loads on for sale.
First rule of buying a used car.
If for any reason you are unsure, walk away.
Plenty around
I'd check to see what recalls it's had as they have a known problem where they can catch fire. Google it for your own peace of mind.
have you checked its details according to the number plate reg for pass / fails mileage etc?
if its not roadworthy it is a questionable purchase
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:10

have you checked its details according to the number plate reg for pass / …have you checked its details according to the number plate reg for pass / fails mileage etc?if its not roadworthy it is a questionable purchase

No I haven’t but will look into it. I asked them why it was now sorn and they have bought a new car so it’s now sat on their driveway. I guess to save money?
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 10:13

No I haven’t but will look into it. I asked them why it was now sorn and t …No I haven’t but will look into it. I asked them why it was now sorn and they have bought a new car so it’s now sat on their driveway. I guess to save money?

input the details at caranalytics.co.uk OP.... & read up the free details.
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:15

input the details at caranalytics.co.uk OP.... & read up the free …input the details at caranalytics.co.uk OP.... & read up the free details.

That’s very kind. Will do that now. Thanks
Have you looked at the previous MOT history to see what advisories it has, what issues it had, how the mileage has crept up, whether the MOT's were done on time each year... etc etc.
dufflecoat_moon_turkey05/02/2020 10:33

Comment deleted

No I won’t buy it if I can’t take it for a test drive. This must happen a lot though so was wondering how people go about it
smashed05/02/2020 10:38

Have you looked at the previous MOT history to see what advisories it has, …Have you looked at the previous MOT history to see what advisories it has, what issues it had, how the mileage has crept up, whether the MOT's were done on time each year... etc etc.

No I haven’t done that. Where could I do that please?
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 10:41

No I haven’t done that. Where could I do that please?

thats what the liks of the site I listed does, ..very useful, I access a few of them when at car auctions to add confidence to my potential purchases, seeing as"we buy any car" is owned by BCA you need to if buying an older vehicle.
Mr_Gus05/02/2020 10:44

thats what the liks of the site I listed does, ..very useful, I access a …thats what the liks of the site I listed does, ..very useful, I access a few of them when at car auctions to add confidence to my potential purchases, seeing as"we buy any car" is owned by BCA you need to if buying an older vehicle.

Didn’t realise it showed mot history too. Crazy what you can find out. Really didn’t know you could do any of these checks so really appreciate all input. Thanks
I like useing totalcarcheck.co.uk/
You just need to register free
Look for advisories in the mot history, then ask if work has been done, otherwise you'll be doing it!
And things like fails for sold needing welding year after year.
Bald tyres and empty washer fluid tell you how much the owner actually check their car etc.
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 09:46

If it's got 12 months MOT then it should be ok!
I'd definitely do a test drive first before I handed over any money. You can tax a car online instantly and set a direct debit up. If you don't buy it cancel the direct debit and you won't have to pay.
ChanceYourArm05/02/2020 10:40

No I won’t buy it if I can’t take it for a test drive. This must happen a l …No I won’t buy it if I can’t take it for a test drive. This must happen a lot though so was wondering how people go about it

People probably take a chance and take it for a quick drive around the block
Not to spook you but I bought a 64 plate Zafira from new and had to get rid of it. After 3 recalls it still wasn’t safe to drive. I wouldn’t risk my family in it. It was a fire risk. There is a Facebook group called Zafira car fires that you can join and ask any questions.
ding05/02/2020 10:56

People probably take a chance and take it for a quick drive around the …People probably take a chance and take it for a quick drive around the block

Yep I would.
Minefield. Tread carefully. Might cost you an arm & a leg.
No insurance is 6 points, Murphy's law, police don't need around and let you off anymore
Check everything works. When I last bought a car from a used car dealer I failed to check the heaters worked! I soon found out there was a block in the heater matrix & the associated work totalled £2k. Now, because I’d bought it from a dealership I didn’t pay, they did. Test drive it. Check everything works. Check history. Look at a few examples of the same car too, that’s a good one, if you don’t do that you’ve nothing to compare this one too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants