Advice on buying from Gearbest

Found 23rd Jan 2016
Guys, I am planning to buy a phone from Gearbest. The device is in stock at their EU warehouse.

I have looked at few threads on and off, and need some suggestions on these points:

- How do I save on getting hit by foreign currency transactions charges? I have a post office credit card which has no fee on overseas transactions, however I wish to pay by paypal and can add this card to my paypal account. But, is there any other option I need to take care of like paying in dollars or pounds?

- Will I still be charged import taxes if the phone is shipped from EU warehouse?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Banned
no tax on eu transactions
I would advise you use paypal. gearbest arent the best when it comes to problems or returns. Also any returns do not get shipped back to the eu but china. So beware of this as return postage is for you to cover.
hotukdeals.com/tag…695
I've had no customs/tax charges from Gearbest of late from the EU warehouse .My recent purchase was a quadcopter .The value was over £200 and paid nothing extra and was delivered in 4 days. My mate ordered a similar quad ,similar price but from Banggood ,waited 2 to 3 weeks and was charged an extra £33 customs fee. I suppose this must have been sent from China.
I've used gearbest 3 times this year , all low value orders under £10 each , paid using PayPal. I've had no issues , no issues with any duty or tax .
Original Poster
kash2013

I would advise you use paypal. gearbest arent the best when it comes to … I would advise you use paypal. gearbest arent the best when it comes to problems or returns. Also any returns do not get shipped back to the eu but china. So beware of this as return postage is for you to cover. http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/refund-problem-with-gearbest-2378695

When paying by Paypal, do I pay in Dollars or Pounds?
kaku_lala

When paying by Paypal, do I pay in Dollars or Pounds?

You pay in pounds but paypal pay gearbest in dollars and their currency exchange rate will be slightly higher than gearbest - on £40 spend expect the cost to be between 10p and 50p approx different

Also purchased 4 items in as many months all small value with no issues so far (except as mentioned above for returns).
philphil61

You pay in pounds but paypal pay gearbest in dollars and their currency … You pay in pounds but paypal pay gearbest in dollars and their currency exchange rate will be slightly higher than gearbest - on £40 spend expect the cost to be between 10p and 50p approx different Also purchased 4 items in as many months all small value with no issues so far (except as mentioned above for returns).

I pay paypal in dollars, if you use a card not a bank account in paypal you can get it to not convert and charge you the direct amount.
you don't pay any tax within the EU
and if you ever buy from China, don't use whatever their courier service is, DHL etc will automatically charge you customs at point of delivery
suck up the wait time and use China mail, 9 1/2 times out of 10 you won't get stung by customs
Banned
NO, don't buy anything from them, you need to be an fool TO BUY THESE FAKE ITEMS
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions