Advice on buying washer-dryer

Posted 14th Dec 2019
Lack of space in my house I looking for washer dryer. I spend £2 a week in winter for drying my clothes. So thinking buying washer dryer to save money and time to go to laundry place.
Any advice on economical washer dryer.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
Beko are very good and great value for money. The below is a link for reviews and recommendations by T3

T3
I had a beko which had numerous faults, engineer out 3 times during the 12 month period. It completely failed after 13 months. I repaired it myself but wasn't a easy repair. Decided to insure it and after 3 months it died again, insurance couldn't repair it and instead gave me a hotpoint. The hotpoint has been troublesome ever since, engineer out 3 times for the same annoying issue.

Beko and Hotpoint are both cheapo brands, but they tend to be smaller washer dryers that fit under the worktops nicely without sticking out a mile like some other brands, hence why I opted for them.

If you want one that will likely last longer then get miele or bosch maybe. If you have a smaller budget, then get a beko, but be prepared, it will likely break down after a year.
My daughter in law decided to get a combi washer.dryer for space reasons (she wanted a dishwasher!) so they did pay a bit more for it and got a Bosch, they have been using it for just over a year now and she wouldn't go back to separate machines even if she had the room. It just amazes me that it takes 5 hours to wash and dry a full load!
Don't forget the drying capacity of a washer /dryer is around 30% less than it washes. As a general rule the bigger the capacity (Drum) the more efficient the washer will be. The big drums also spin better. I'd go for a 10Kg load machine and that would usually dry 7Kg , then you could wash and dry a 7Kg load in one cycle.
Yeah, don't.
Notorious for breaking down.
They're crap. Very inefficient and unreliable. So many more benefits having separates. Remember a condenser or better still and more efficient an heat pump dryer can go virtually anywhere.
never understood British obsession with dryers.
line dry, do a wash each day or less, all dries quickly. and for 8 months out of the year, hang outside.
AMaky14/12/2019 15:18

never understood British obsession with dryers.line dry, do a wash each …never understood British obsession with dryers.line dry, do a wash each day or less, all dries quickly. and for 8 months out of the year, hang outside.

Good luck keeping towels soft and fluffy line drying

never understood British obsession with dryers.line dry, do a wash each …never understood British obsession with dryers.line dry, do a wash each day or less, all dries quickly. and for 8 months out of the year, hang outside.

Not everyone is able to line dry. That's only for people who live in houses or flats that have access to gardens. Some people live in flats without gardens so only have the option of using dryers and indoor clothes racks. I use a washer dryer as I live in a flat. Indoor clothes racks can take ages to dry clothes, depending on the temperature of the room, so dryers are a good option for items that are able to be put into a dryer.
I have this Beko Washer Dryer. I got it in Black Friday 2 years ago. If you aren't in a rush, wait until the sales.

ao.com/pro…spx
Dont get a combi regardless. The amount it washes you then need to empty out half and split the load in two for drying! I just put a clothes rack by the radiator and it all dries within 24 hours. I will get a heat pump dryer when I move to another house as thats the best. In summer definitely use the line as less wear on the clothes than the machine.
Loubou14/12/2019 16:27

I have this Beko Washer Dryer. I got it in Black Friday 2 years ago. If …I have this Beko Washer Dryer. I got it in Black Friday 2 years ago. If you aren't in a rush, wait until the sales. https://ao.com/product/wdr7543121w-beko-washer-dryer-white-36592-2.aspx

How much you paid in sale? Looks reasonable at the moment
googley214/12/2019 16:27

Dont get a combi regardless. The amount it washes you then need to empty …Dont get a combi regardless. The amount it washes you then need to empty out half and split the load in two for drying! I just put a clothes rack by the radiator and it all dries within 24 hours. I will get a heat pump dryer when I move to another house as thats the best. In summer definitely use the line as less wear on the clothes than the machine.

We have a combi and sometime fill it full for washing & have never emptied and split the load for drying. It has sensor dry settings which work very well and have had no problems
paulj4814/12/2019 16:13

Good luck keeping towels soft and fluffy line drying

don't need luck just good quality towels and no conditioner.

I live in flats and I go to the laundry place to dry my clothes every week. It’s extremely tedious; I always have to wait up to an hour because they’re so busy. It’s honestly very time-consuming and annoying so I was thinking that maybe I should just buy a washer-dryer.
Djpal12314/12/2019 16:42

I live in flats and I go to the laundry place to dry my clothes every …I live in flats and I go to the laundry place to dry my clothes every week. It’s extremely tedious; I always have to wait up to an hour because they’re so busy. It’s honestly very time-consuming and annoying so I was thinking that maybe I should just buy a washer-dryer.

if it's just for 1 person, can you not just hang it on a drying rack?
be dry the next day?
Djpal12314/12/2019 16:33

How much you paid in sale? Looks reasonable at the moment

It was reduced to £319 when I bought it. However, I bought it over the phone and the adviser I spoke with gave me an extra £30 off so I paid £289. Plus he also threw in free named delivery, free disposal of my old machine, free disconnection of my old machine and free connection of the new one. I would have had to pay for all of those online. It all depends on who answers the phone though but it is worth calling them, rather than doing it online. If you buy it online now, you get £20 off with the code that is on the page, I'd try calling though. He gave me the extra £30 off as I was able to get £20 cashback from Top cashback if I did it online. He said he'd give me £30 if I got it over the phone with him. Have a look at Quidco and Top cashback to see what their cashback offers are are and tell them over the phone.
If you’re a Costco member, have a look there, they often have deals on
We were warned off them but we went for an AEG one and it's been great. We paid what we would have done for 2 seperate machines though. I think most people hope to save money by buying one machine and then moan that it's failed due to cost cuttng measures.
Loubou14/12/2019 17:11

It was reduced to £319 when I bought it. However, I bought it over the …It was reduced to £319 when I bought it. However, I bought it over the phone and the adviser I spoke with gave me an extra £30 off so I paid £289. Plus he also threw in free named delivery, free disposal of my old machine, free disconnection of my old machine and free connection of the new one. I would have had to pay for all of those online. It all depends on who answers the phone though but it is worth calling them, rather than doing it online. If you buy it online now, you get £20 off with the code that is on the page, I'd try calling though. He gave me the extra £30 off as I was able to get £20 cashback from Top cashback if I did it online. He said he'd give me £30 if I got it over the phone with him. Have a look at Quidco and Top cashback to see what their cashback offers are are and tell them over the phone.

39374600-1PlJR.jpg
£146 yearly cost its bit expensive.
Or it’s depends on individual use ?
Djpal12314/12/2019 23:21

[Image] £146 yearly cost its bit expensive. Or it’s depends on individual u …[Image] £146 yearly cost its bit expensive. Or it’s depends on individual use ?

That information says that it is based on 200 washing and drying cycles a year, which works out at using the machine about 4 times a week to wash and dry. Would you use it that much?
Edited by: "Loubou" 15th Dec 2019
Loubou15/12/2019 00:01

That information says that it is based on 200 washing and drying cycles a …That information says that it is based on 200 washing and drying cycles a year, which works out at using the machine about 4 times a week to wash and dry. Would you use it that much?

Not really, only once a week
Miele are the absolute best, expensive but last longer and do a better job. We used to have a beko and when we upgraded we realised how poor standard models are, they don’t dry evenly and things come out creased. Not with a Miele

What to do for the other 4 months of the year?

I hang my washing whenever possible and have an heatpump dryer for when it's not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions