EXPIRED

Advice on cancelling mobile contract - URGENT!

I'm currently on a contract with o2 which costs me around £40 per month, as Im going travelling this summer im not gona need the phone as much, and obviously I dont wana be paying for something Im not going to be using

I just found my mobile contract which states that 30 days written notice must be given to end the contract. The contract started on the 16.10.07 and was for 18 months. As such it will in theory expire on the 15.04.09, but from experience the tariff provider will say that a new contract will begin on that date on the same terms - but I cannot afford to carry it on!

I ideally wanted to convert my current o2 contract to a o2 pay as you go keeping the same number

can anybody advise on what I can do to get out of it?

14 Comments

Why not phone O2? With my orange contract, it just goes to a sort of 30 day rolling contract at the end of the 18 months, they don't automatically sign you up to a 18 month contract unless you get a new phone etc.

They cannot just start a new contract without your authority.

As suggested, contact them.

You can give notice to 02 on the phone that you want to cancel the contract. Make it crystal clear to them what the end date is and when the final bill will be taken, then after that, cancel the Direct debit.

Also write a letter to keep yourself a record of what and when will happen.

I did this and had no issues with O2 at all.....:thumbsup:

Just ring o2 and they'll switch you over to payg.

pghstochaj;4769512

Why not phone O2? With my orange contract, it just goes to a sort of 30 … Why not phone O2? With my orange contract, it just goes to a sort of 30 day rolling contract at the end of the 18 months, they don't automatically sign you up to a 18 month contract unless you get a new phone etc.

Once your term is over you are out of contract but will still need to give 30 Days notice, this you can do 30 days before the cotract ends so that you stop paying on the last day.

I do not think they will allow you to keep the number without renewing, you may need to change provders and then you can transfer the number easier :thumbsup:

if you dont cancel tho they will just carry on taking money u must ring and give yr notice to cancel asap

lol, once the 18 month contract is up you don't suddenly get a new 18 month contract!

call them! Then write a letter saying you want to cancel your agreement, you will prob have to pay an extra month

I mean no offence to the OP, but why do people post questions such as this? Surely the time you took to write it would have been better spent just phoning them and explaining the situation? Noone knows more about your O2 contract than O2 themselves, so just ring them and ask! :thumbsup:

I have been in your situation, albeit with Orange....

1st Orange used to offer a six-month suspension, in effect putting your contract on hold for upto six months, this is useful if you are going abroad, and you are in the middle of your contract. Maybe O2 and the others offer something similar

2nd. the virgin PayG tariff doesn't have a minumum monthly top-up, at first Orange matched this, but since then I have moved to Virgin proper. You just pay for the calls you make, if you don't use your phone for a month, you don't get charged. If you do, it gets taken by direct debit.

I live in spain six months a year, and in the UK the rest of the time, the virgin system works quite well for me

StevenA2000_uk;4769525

You can give notice to 02 on the phone that you want to cancel the … You can give notice to 02 on the phone that you want to cancel the contract. Make it crystal clear to them what the end date is and when the final bill will be taken, then after that, cancel the Direct debit.Also write a letter to keep yourself a record of what and when will happen.I did this and had no issues with O2 at all.....:thumbsup:

I'd strongly advise against cancelling the direct debit even if advised by O2 as this led to a lot of problems for me - O2 completely mucked up a cancelled contract then advised me to reverse and cancel the direct debit as it would be quicker than a refund. I did so and ended up with the debt collectors at my door and no-one at O2 could be bothered to do anything about it, took numerous phone calls before eventually getting through to someone who could call off the debt collectors and finally close the account.

John

Johnmcl7;4769745

I'd strongly advise against cancelling the direct debit even if advised … I'd strongly advise against cancelling the direct debit even if advised by O2 as this led to a lot of problems for me - O2 completely mucked up a cancelled contract then advised me to reverse and cancel the direct debit as it would be quicker than a refund. I did so and ended up with the debt collectors at my door and no-one at O2 could be bothered to do anything about it, took numerous phone calls before eventually getting through to someone who could call off the debt collectors and finally close the account.John

Agreed. But everybody's situation is different. And as long as I can evidence payment for the full term of a contract then I would be wanting to cancel the direct debit asap to avoid unnecessary overpayments that the company can take from you if you dont cancel the direct debit.

Debt collectors or not, the company and the debt collection agency will be picking up the tab in court after you present the court with the evidence of payment for the full term of the contract. Dont let the threat of debt collectors deter you from taking the action that needs to be taken.

In most cases it's likely to be far easier to correct an overpayment than to reverse debt collectors - it's not the threat of debt collectors that bothers me, it's getting constant calls and letters from them daily that was more than irritating and I certainly would not want to waste time and money going all the way to court for an error made by the network.

John

phone them up to cancel it, if you read your contract, (assuming it's the same as mine) paragraph 3.2 states "At the end of any Minimum Period or following commencement of the agreementif you have selected a SIM only tariff, this agreement will continue until it is terminated in accordance with paragraph 8 below."
Paragraph 8 says 30 days written notice.
they will take notice via a phone call and give you a finish date as long as you confirm in writing,
don't forget if they put you through to Retention department they will probably offer you a deal at half the price of your existing plan and double the minutes and texts, if you are very lucky they will also apply a credit to your account, they gave me £150 plus vat. (10 months credit on a new 18 month agreement)
I was well pleased!
may be cheaper to stay than to go PAYGO.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona79
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!11
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213606
    4. Pink Balls25

See more discussions