Groups

Advice on car/garage problems - main dealer

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you could shed any light on where I stand concering this issue:

The car is a 05 1.9 CDTI Astra Design - 30K

On the 8th September the car developed a fault which was as follows:
    The engine lost power and went it to a limp mode meaning loss of turbo and acceleration, the engine management light came on.
    After stopping and restarting the car the engine management light went out and was replaced with the emission light.
    Later that week the car was taken to Vauxhall.
    They identified the issue as an issue with the inlet manifold and sensors, but as the parts went not available the work could not be carried out. The error code was reset and price reduction was discussed with Vauxhall.
    The car was booked on the 18th September to have the parts replaced, Vauxhall had agreed to 40% discount on parts and labour. During the time I had the car no further problems occur, the car drove normally and not lights or engine problems happened.
    A bill of £417.07 (£583.90 inc Vauxhall) was paid on the understanding that the issue had been fixed.
    On the 11th of November the fault occurred again in the circumstances, the engine lost power and went it to a limp mode meaning loss of turbo and acceleration, the engine management light came on. Once again after stopping and restarting the car the engine management light went out and was replaced with the emission light - the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

The garage have had the car for 6 days and are now saying that the work they carried out last time is not the reason for this problem and they will start to charge me to find the fault.
    I can't see how they can do this as as far as I am concerned it is the same fault.

All advice welcome.

16 Comments

tricky one would like to hear how this turns out,
    would have thought a refund on the unnecessary work done originally would be a minimum and correction would involve same discount agreement.

Banned

Just tell them that is OK as long as they deduct the original £583.90 from the bill as the original work wwas totally unnecessary

Try joining a Vauxhall forum, they have probably experienced this issue before & can tell you what it is, so you can take it to an independant garage which will cost you a lot less.

Is there any software you can download that identifies the fault code ? I have VAG COM for mine which I use to diagnose any problems (light on dash the other week, I plugged in VAG COM, got the fault code, looked it up & it turned out to be a faulty brake switch. £6 in the dealers & fitted it myself).

VAG COM is for Audi/VW/SEAT/Skoda - sure they will be something similar for Vauxhall.

What do they say the fault is now with the car and what part needs replacing ??

I bet all they did was clean the old sensors and reset the ECU, Hence the same problem, In truth probably faulty parts which I would assume theirs some sort of warranty on them, When I had my car fixed at Ford I usually get 2 years parts guarantee.

Could be fitted incorrectly, Possibly some dodgy fuel causing them to go faulty?

I'd defo insist that they sort it out, It could possibly be a different problem, i,e Lamba sensor etc but like you say it seems funny that the same problem as returned.

Has it got more than one sensor? If it's got more than one it's twin could have become faulty?

Original Poster

yogi99;3494197

What do they say the fault is now with the car and what part needs … What do they say the fault is now with the car and what part needs replacing ??

That is the best bit - as of today they still have no idea what the problem is.
    They are "Currently working on it"

I just can't believe that this is the only consumer sector that they can attempt to fix something, charge you and then say it is something else when the orginal problem hasn't been fixed :x

Try contacting vauxhall customer services direct - I have a 05 Zafira out of warranty but Vauxhall agreed to pay for a repair - you can but ask.

This is a common Vauxhall problem so thery should know how to fix it!

Original Poster

Tried customer services but spun me a yarn about they can't do anything until the garage identifiy the problem correctly.
    I quoted the supply of goods act to them but he seem to be under the impression that it didn't apply to them as the work they carried out was not the cause of the fault - I pointed out that the work that they did carry out didn't fix it either, he then said it could be any number of reasons.

Cheeky *******s.... hope you get it sorted.

Isn't this the kind of thing that gives Vauxhall it's oh-so-wonderful rep in the first place?

Original Poster

TGB;3495051

Cheeky *******s.... hope you get it sorted.Isn't this the kind of thing … Cheeky *******s.... hope you get it sorted.Isn't this the kind of thing that gives Vauxhall it's oh-so-wonderful rep in the first place?

Needless to say this is and will be the last vauxhall I purchase, considering I have had it since it was 6 months old and it has only been used as a family car and low miles it really takes the p1ss

Is it any wonder that General Motor's are on the point of bankruptcy.:whistling:

Even Hyundai give a 5 year warranty.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Inactive;3495379

Is it any wonder that General Motor's are on the point of … Is it any wonder that General Motor's are on the point of bankruptcy.:whistling:Even Hyundai give a 5 year warranty.:thumbsup:

Pant's customer service - when I rang the customer line I asked about extended warrenty his reply was "we don't do those as a company"
    Easy to see why now!!

Very difficult to pin point these sorts of problems . I own 2 Vauxhalls [ Zafira 1.6club [03] & Vectra 2.0DI[ R]] and dred when the EML goes on . It did on the Zafira not long after I bought it , it turned out to be a coil pack , it was replaced under a warrenty I took out when I bought it .If you take your car to a Vauxhall dealer it's about £50/60 just for the diagnostic test . For this reason alone I bought a Tech2 kit and have it installed on a laptop .Only used it once though and even then I can never understand the blooming codes .There seems to be so many sensors on these cars nowadys , just abit of dirt on them can cause all sorts of problems.

Original Poster

another 2 days and they are still no closer to finding the problem - still the loan car is racking up the miles!!

Did you get an solution for this problem?
    Currently, I have similar problem in vauxhall vectra car. The engine is lossing power and went it to a limp mode meaning loss of turbo and acceleration. I have a dual fuel car and I am observing this problem only when running on Petrol. On LPG, the car is still working fine.

Original Poster

jai123;3971434

Did you get an solution for this problem? Currently, I have similar … Did you get an solution for this problem? Currently, I have similar problem in vauxhall vectra car. The engine is lossing power and went it to a limp mode meaning loss of turbo and acceleration. I have a dual fuel car and I am observing this problem only when running on Petrol. On LPG, the car is still working fine.

Turns out it was the ECU and EGR valve - cost over £1000 and took them until the 2nd Jan 2009 to get the car back to me.
    Hopefully yours will not be as expensive or as long to correct the problem.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Feels weird!921
      2. What a bunch of brassed necked barstewards811
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814509
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563820

See more discussions