Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage

Found 22nd Oct 2017
Hi there. Went over HUGE pot hole and completely buckled my alloy wheel. All caught on dash cam. Rang the council. They want EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink before I claim: have to inform insurance (reluctant to have to do that!!) it seems a nightmare to claim but I’m not being shafted by the council for the state of our roads!! Not happy!! Has anyone else had the misfortune of this happening. And was it as difficult as they’re making out to get my wheel paid for? Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Never claimed but had to replace two front coil springs and a front wheel bearing/abs sensor due to this so I feel your pain there

Hi!
This sounds like everyones worst nightmare! But don’t worry you have the Law on your side as it sounds like (by the damage you have stated) that they are in breach of Section 41 of the Highways Act 1980 the Council has a duty to maintain the highway, When contact the Council make sure everything is in writing and do so as such as if you were collecting evidence. I could understand if you didn’t want to contact a Solicitor as there is high cost involved, however, if the Council are reluctant it may the only way to get your money back, furthermore if you are worried about legal costs or any other such matters I highly suggest that you visit the National Citizens advice bureau, either instore if they have one near you, online or on the phone, They can offer advice to you and make sure you are taking the best option! I hope this all gets sorted out soon! So tragic to hear about these cases as crashes via council negligence has resulted in fatalities.

Had damage to alloy, axle and tracking from pot hole, cost Me £500, didn't claim, didn't know I could at the time. It's been too long now.

There's a page on MSE for that. One thing to bear in mind, if you are a resident of the borough, you are effectively claiming against yourself - it's your council tax that will pay for your claim and will result in less money for the council to do the repairs. Another factor will be whether it has a white line around it - ie it had been reported already and they hadn't fixed it - or if it was an unreported pothole. Good luck if you do go ahead.

Get in touch with Rebeca Bailey, see if she'll fight for you

Ar460rn22nd Oct

One thing to bear in mind, if you are a resident of the borough, you are …One thing to bear in mind, if you are a resident of the borough, you are effectively claiming against yourself - it's your council tax that will pay for your claim and will result in less money for the council to do the repairs.

Yeah, it's one thing to claim when they've made a poor job of a particular road or are neglecting one area, but if the local roads are bad all over then they're obviously struggling for money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants