Advice on Coffee machines...

Found 18th Feb
Hi, looking for advice on the type of coffee machine to buy.

I have a coffee at home usually 2 or maybe 3 times a week. I like medium to strong black expresso.

I was inclined to buy a traditional pump machine rather than a pod machine.

But, if I go down that route, I will end up with ground coffee in my fridge which will be unsealed for about 2 weeks before it is finished off.

Would I be better off with a pod machine and using the best quality pods I can buy, which will always be sealed before use?

Or, is ground coffee and a pump machine always going to be the better product?

thanks for any comments
Community Updates
AskGroceries
16 Comments
I’ll be honest I haven’t had a ground coffee machine at home, but I have tried both a tassimo machine and more recently a nespresso. The nespresso is far superior and there are many types of coffee pods to choose from. They range from 31p - 44p a pod normally from the nespresso store online.

Depending on the machine you choose you may also have the ability to froth milk too (incase you fancy a change or your guest wants a latte).nespresso en550.b lattissima touch automatic coffee machine, black https//ww…D7E
I hand a dolce gusto machine and the coffee is quick and without me, the taste of the coffee is dependent on the coffee pods. You would think they the best pigs would be the nescafe own band but it's not the case. Not in my opinion. I have found a compatible pod that is far superior (in my opinion) and cheaper So the choice is all about taste.
One thing to note is that pods have coffee 'weighed' into them under packers rules, which means the choice can vary from one pod to the next by up to 60% ( though the amount of times that variance is permitted is minute, most of the time the variance will be less than 5% approx). The only way to make the coffee either stronger or weaker is to vary the water.
I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. I decided on the plus machine simply because it says the cheaper option, abs if I felt I had bought badly I would lose less money than if I bought a table top 'bean to cup' coffee maker first and changed my mind. Did that make sense?
With so many coffee machines out there, have none of your family or friends got a coffee machine that you could buy a pack of coffee nabs to try one or two?
Just remember though, if you do, the coffee you buy may not be the best one for you, but you get some idea of the convenience.
Edited by: "mrty" 18th Feb
Meant to say, enough a dolce gusto coffee machine. Great machine, but the nescafe coffee didn't be sold as coffee - is like drinking sand. I buy Tiziano Bonini pods, Italian coffee that is like silk compared to nescafe - but, to use cb parlance about quality, the flavour is 'wall to wall'. Best flavour I have found, and I've tried loads ' so far. Every time I see a new one I buy it, but I still go back to Tiziano.
For how often you have a coffee, without a doubt, go for a Nespresso.

I have experience of several types of machines, and the Nespresso is perfect for you.

If you decide that you want to branch out into a cappuccino or latte, the Nespresso Aeroccino would be a good extra to buy.

Keep an eye out, as there are regular offers on Nespresso machines.

Do a forum search so you can see some of the past offers and get a feel for how much to pay, and how long you should wait for an offer.
DeLonghi bean to cup machines are great and more economical than pods in the long run. They are regularly heavily discounted.
Edited by: "termite" 18th Feb
100% bean to cup, they often have there own grinders on so you can just buy beans. If not you can buy a cheap grinder and grind your own beans. The beans remain fresh longer and the flavour is locked in. Pod machines are crap in comparison, expensive to run and you only get a luke warm coffee. Plus they're bad for the environment etc.

Personally I have got a Delonghi, cost £179 it's fantastic.
mrty1 h, 28 m ago

Meant to say, enough a dolce gusto coffee machine. Great machine, but the …Meant to say, enough a dolce gusto coffee machine. Great machine, but the nescafe coffee didn't be sold as coffee - is like drinking sand. I buy Tiziano Bonini pods, Italian coffee that is like silk compared to nescafe - but, to use cb parlance about quality, the flavour is 'wall to wall'. Best flavour I have found, and I've tried loads ' so far. Every time I see a new one I buy it, but I still go back to Tiziano.

From reading your comments you actually have a Nespresso machine not the Dolce Gusto, the Dolce Gusto more or less does not have any other pods apart from the Nescafe ones (Aldi pods being about the only one).
Personally I've had the Dolce Gusto, Nespresso and now a Melitta Caffeo Barista TSP Espresso machine (bean to cup) and by far the bean to cup if better, although you do have a bigger outlay for one.

For both the DeLonghi and Melitta machines you can sometimes pickup on Amazon warehouse deals cheap, also check the prices on Amazon.de as also sometimes cheaper than the .co.uk site for both brands.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Feb
Thanks for the replies.
I'd have a bean-to-cup if i was drinking coffee at home every day, but I'm not able to justify the expense or footprint of the machine until I retire :-)
Are there any of the Nesspresso machines that turn out coffee at a reasonable temp? The limitation of these machines seems to be the Thermoblock heaters.
airbus33011 m ago

Thanks for the replies.I'd have a bean-to-cup if i was drinking coffee at …Thanks for the replies.I'd have a bean-to-cup if i was drinking coffee at home every day, but I'm not able to justify the expense or footprint of the machine until I retire :-)Are there any of the Nesspresso machines that turn out coffee at a reasonable temp? The limitation of these machines seems to be the Thermoblock heaters.

Look up and see if you have a "Home & Cook" store nearby as my local let you sample them from the different nespresso machine (Debenhams might also - no idea about JL as we don't have them in N.Ireland). Or even one of the outlet stores (ours closed down though). Personally when I was trying I didn't notice much difference between them although still was warmer than my old Dolce Gusto at the time. The Nespresso one I had was the "Inissia" by Krups and at the time my favourite pods where the Starbucks Guatemala, though off course a zillion choices on the market.

I've seen "proper" Nespresso stores in Spain and France unsure if any in Mainland UK. If you ever happen to be in Malaga city lovely one there and free coffee if you ask lol.

Home & Cook

33283817-ECJyO.jpg
33283817-qVRHg.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Feb
if you want a quality coffee dont buy pod machines
mattsk16 m ago

if you want a quality coffee dont buy pod machines

Sure, I realise the bean2cup is the best.
The point is I'm limited to Pump Machine with ground coffee or Nespresso.
I'm debating whether the loss of freshness by storing ground coffee for a month at a time, means that for the occaisional coffee drinker, the pod may be a better option.
cecilmcroberts1 h, 15 m ago

From reading your comments you actually have a Nespresso machine not the …From reading your comments you actually have a Nespresso machine not the Dolce Gusto, the Dolce Gusto more or less does not have any other pods apart from the Nescafe ones (Aldi pods being about the only one). Personally I've had the Dolce Gusto, Nespresso and now a Melitta Caffeo Barista TSP Espresso machine (bean to cup) and by far the bean to cup if better, although you do have a bigger outlay for one.For both the DeLonghi and Melitta machines you can sometimes pickup on Amazon warehouse deals cheap, also check the prices on Amazon.de as also sometimes cheaper than the .co.uk site for both brands.

Is definitely a dolce gusto. Here is the coffee pods I buy. Lovely coffee, smooth and strong. Storm brew.
I've kept coffee in the fridge in the past and now keep it on the side (no direct sunlight), but in tins (like this from Illy). Probably using one every 2 weeks or so, similar to you. I really can't tell the difference, but happy to be told I'm doing it all wrong!

I'd been using a cafetiere for years and finally made the jump to a machine in January when this De'Longhi was reduced to £69.99 - hotukdeals.com/dea…158 (currently £99.99 at Argos). Lots of similar machines from them out there, but be worth a review of current deals? This machine allows you to use ESE pods or ground coffee. Could be the best of both for you if you find another at a decent price? I think it's fairly common with the De'Longhi machines.

A friend has a mid range Nespresso pod machine. More expensive to run, smaller footprint, coffee is quite nice.
Edited by: "morgie" 18th Feb
airbus3301 h, 34 m ago

Thanks for the replies.I'd have a bean-to-cup if i was drinking coffee at …Thanks for the replies.I'd have a bean-to-cup if i was drinking coffee at home every day, but I'm not able to justify the expense or footprint of the machine until I retire :-)Are there any of the Nesspresso machines that turn out coffee at a reasonable temp? The limitation of these machines seems to be the Thermoblock heaters.

I agree the nespresso isn’t the hottest, but I get around this by putting a shot of hot water into the cup to allow the cup to warm then empty it and have a shot of coffee. This way, the cup is already warm and won’t suck the warmth out of the coffee.
If you’re concerned about the freshness of the coffee, nespresso is ideal for you. They regularly have deals where you buy the machine then get £25 / £50 / £75 voucher to spend on coffee in their store.
Poundland also currently have 10 x Taylor’s pods for sale at £1.
Ok, thanks for all the advice, only way is to buy one and see how it goes.
Just happened to be by a Currys and found one of these as a yellow ticket item for £43, so not too much risk if I hate it.
hotukdeals.com/dea…897
And the results are surprisingly good
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants