Groups

Advice on computer. please.

Hi,
    If I try to watch a video for instance on the bbc iplayer My picture stops and starts as though the computer is not running fast enough. It has a p4 2.8 ghz processor and 512 mb of ram. Can anyone advise me if it would be worth increasing the memory or something else that would help. I don't really want to buy a new comp as funds won't allow it!
    Thanks,
    Mike.

10 Comments

i think its more to do with your internet connection. close any other programs you're running and you should be fine. My PC has similar specs and it runs it fine, although we recently upgraded out internet for the first time in about 5/6 years since getting broadband - turns out orange now offer faster internet cheaper!

upgrade ram

Run MSCONFIG and disable everything that isn't necessary, then try it again. If it's still flaky, try running a speed test (use google - "broadband speed test").

You don't have a lot of RAM, but its enough to watch the iplayer.

Best just download it first and watch later.

I doubt it is caused by RAM.

Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replys! I have just carried out a broadband speed test and the results were : download speed 1.15 mb, upload 0.37mb. They don't mean alot to me but I'm sure you can tell me more. Also I'm not sure what to turn off in msconfig and don't want to disable something thats needed! Look forward to any replys. Mike.

If it's happening for video steaming online like the iPlayer then I'd first suspect your internet connection.

Your P4 may have trouble with high-resolution (large) videos but it should cope fine with TV quality.

Basically you are watching the video quicker than you can download it.

1.15Mbs is pretty slow broadband nowadays (I use 20Mbs with Virgin).

See what you are paying for and consider upgrading it to 5mbs or above.

guilbert53;4993475

Basically you are watching the video quicker than you can download … Basically you are watching the video quicker than you can download it.1.15Mbs is pretty slow broadband nowadays (I use 20Mbs with Virgin).See what you are paying for and consider upgrading it to 5mbs or above.

Actually, 1.15Mbps is a bit high for the fixed 1mbps so it's likely to be an ADSLMax 8mbps package and just a long way from the local exchange.

But 1.15Mbps should be fine for iPlayer. Apart from their new high quality 1.5Mbps stream introduced a couple of days ago the iPlayer only uses 500-800kbps.

Banned

Sounds like lag to me, not a RAM issue.

Give your ISP a call and ask them to test the line, and possibly reset your profile.

Hope it helps
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)3143
      2. Your dream gaming set up?2555
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …246805
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846312

See more discussions