Advice on cooker installation

Found 4th Oct 2015
I'm having a new kitchen installed and have purchased a new range cooker which has a Max. Elec load @230v 10.8kW. I've had quotes from a couple of electricians as the cooker socket needs to be moved and have had conflicting advice regarding the wiring.
One thinks that the existing wiring is ok (current cooker has a max load of c.6.5kw) and he can just utilise the existing to move the socket.
The other wants to install 10mm wiring (I'm not sure the size that is there currently) and change the circuit breaker to 50A (current is 32A).
Obviously there is a big cost differential between the two approaches! Anyone have any views on which sounds most sensible?
Community Updates
AskCooker
10 Comments
The key to this is diversity. The cooker is never going to have all elements turned on together. This may help, a little more googling may or may not help but I would speak to a number of electricians to see what their opinion is. I think some of this depends on whether you are likely to use all hobs and ovens at the same time.
diynot.com/diy…80/
Both suggestions are fine ....but it's basically for your piece of mind and how much difference the cost is between the quotes.

If it were me and there's an opportunity to upgrade it i'd change the cable and CB just so it's done and won't need doing again.
I was thinking about that, it's 2x electric ovens, ceramic hotplate and a grill - two ovens may be used at the same time, and maybe the hotplate but i can't foresee the grill also being used. Most of the time only one oven will be used. The hobs are gas so that's ok.
I'm leaning towards the cable change but there is about £250 difference in the price of the quotes.
Parfy

I was thinking about that, it's 2x electric ovens, ceramic hotplate and a … I was thinking about that, it's 2x electric ovens, ceramic hotplate and a grill - two ovens may be used at the same time, and maybe the hotplate but i can't foresee the grill also being used. Most of the time only one oven will be used. The hobs are gas so that's ok.I'm leaning towards the cable change but there is about £250 difference in the price of the quotes.

There a good piece of advice from Mecoconuts. To change the cable and CB gives you a complete peace of mind. If you're not planning on moving soon, a £250 investment for peace of mind may be worth it. liamf12's suggestion getting several quotes and opinions is also sound advice.

Think very carefully before you make a decision. I personally err on the side of caution when dealing with electric, gas and water.
Ignore the electrician who thinks the existing installation will be ok, it's not. It's all clearly defined in the Electrical Regulations.
The 32A MCB will trip if you have the oven going flat out - Christmas dinner ?
10mm cable is the correct sizing, and a 50MCB is correct.
How much has the electrician quoted you ?
Shortcut was £150 (thinks 4 hours work), new cable etc was £480.
For the new cabling he thinks he'll need to take up floorboards upstairs and then channel and repair wall in kitchen (2 days work). So at an hourly rate there isn't much difference.
I'm erring on the side of caution...
I would change the cable, with everything flat out it is going to draw well over 45 Amps, and it is a waste of time having all that cooking capacity if you can't use it, you may as well stick to a smaller cooker
gizmouk

Ignore the electrician who thinks the existing installation will be ok, … Ignore the electrician who thinks the existing installation will be ok, it's not. It's all clearly defined in the Electrical Regulations.The 32A MCB will trip if you have the oven going flat out - Christmas dinner ? 10mm cable is the correct sizing, and a 50MCB is correct.How much has the electrician quoted you ?

​You'd best get your household electrics sorted out because I'll bet that if every appliance in your house is turned on together your main fuse wouldn't like it. Diversity is fully explained in the 17th edition regs. The only reason I won't say the current supply will be OK is that I don't have all the details, fixing method, distance from consumer unit, condition of current cable etc. If it's someone who has a massive family or holds huge dinner parties then I would pay out for new uprated stuff, especially if putting a cable in later is going to be difficult, if it's easy like mine and conforms to regs then I would use what's there and upgrade if there's issues.
if u apply diversity its 10a plus 30% of the rest of the load. 47a - 10a = 37a x 30% = 11.1a
10a + 11.1 = 21.1A

So its 21a u need to calculate for not the whole 47a. This is how a cooker circuit is calculated by a electrician when working out cable size. Also u add on 5a if the switch has a plug socket on it to. so a 6mm cable would be correct imo by the calculation. I use to make the same mistake before i did my part p taking the whole 10.8kw (47a) when wiring to the cooker.
Edited by: "kash2013" 5th Oct 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants