Advice on digging up a small tree

Found 21st AprEdited by:"bettz1"
We've a small cherry blossom tree in our garden that we'd like to dig up and replant in a large pot as we're worried in a few years time it'll get out of hand.

Is there a best time to dig it once it flowered?

And im guessing the roots will have spread do I just cut them back? I don't want to kill the tree as it's lovely
2929153-3q7LC.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Best time to move is when it's dormant , when it's not flowering or in bud, but you also want any chance of frost to have passed . Normally I would put the peak time as March , but since we had late snow this year it's not an exact science. I was always taught that as a rule of thumb roots will cover roughly the width that a tree is tall . It's a shame someone planted yours so close to your wall, but when you do dig it up you need to go carefully and take as much root with it as possible . Do you have any other area of the garden you can put it in , otherwise you will need a very large pot to give it the best chance , and that will obviously come with the joys of being another tub to water regularly through the drier months .
I think it stops flowering at the end May.

We've no where else to put it we've only a small garden.
Just put some stuff in the pot that promotes root growth, dig it up once it’s finished flowering. It won’t hurt it too much if you replant it straight away.
Depends on what you mean out of control. We have one in the front garden, beside the front wall beside the boundary and the wall is fine. The tree is about 25-35 years old.
In our previous flat there was one right next to the wall under our kitchen window. Even when it was 10 years old it wasn’t that big. Though I did cut the crap out it at one point to see out the window. 2 years later even after I removed all branches. It looked like I’d not touched it. It came back with lots of growth and branches.
Well we're in two minds reason the Mrs wants it gone is because she wants to put a garden arbour in where the tree is and grow clematis around it and it'll nice to sit out in the evening.Only prob with that is the ground is quite damp at the top of the garden and I can just see the arbour rotting very quickly.

If we decide to remove the tree we were going to put it in a big wooden barrell,that way we can keep an eye on how big it grows
bettz141 m ago

Well we're in two minds reason the Mrs wants it gone is because she wants …Well we're in two minds reason the Mrs wants it gone is because she wants to put a garden arbour in where the tree is and grow clematis around it and it'll nice to sit out in the evening.Only prob with that is the ground is quite damp at the top of the garden and I can just see the arbour rotting very quickly.If we decide to remove the tree we were going to put it in a big wooden barrell,that way we can keep an eye on how big it grows

If your going to put an arbour in then put a few slabs with some block paving around the edge in the grass and stand it on it. That way it shouldn’t rot as long as you treat it with fence paint.

Something like this that I did in front of my shed.

33675343-FAJzg.jpg
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Apr
cmdr_elito1 h, 17 m ago

If your going to put an arbour in then put a few slabs with some block …If your going to put an arbour in then put a few slabs with some block paving around the edge in the grass and stand it on it. That way it shouldn’t rot as long as you treat it with fence paint.Something like this that I did in front of my shed.[Image]

Yes we've just thought about buying 4 small slabs to stand the feet on then we'll push the slate chippings over the top to hide the slabs
bettz18 h, 47 m ago

Yes we've just thought about buying 4 small slabs to stand the feet on …Yes we've just thought about buying 4 small slabs to stand the feet on then we'll push the slate chippings over the top to hide the slabs

Being honest chippings are a nightmare near grass when your cutting it. The slabs are great as provided they are level with the grass you can run the mower over them no problem and it cuts the grass up to the edge beautifully without the need to get the strimmer out!

Would suggest slate slabs if you really like that colour.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Apr
I know what you mean with the slate chippings being a nightmare!! I bought some gravel boards last year which are sat in the garage waiting to be cut up to create a boarder between the slate and grass.
You should be able to dig up and plant a "tree" that small into a bucket ,no problem.
The flowering cherry tree trunk at my house got to 2 feet thick !!
Thats a sapling, just ease it out, it won't have a massive root system and should survive. If the trees at wilko and aldi can survive for months without soil, yours has a fighting chance of surviving, it looks healthy enough. Do it now, before summer.
Post a pic next year so I can say "told you so"
Well I went ahead and dug the tree up got near enough all the roots.

There wasn't much room for it to grow with it being thick clay underneath,also the hole filled with water within 5 mins no wonder it's. Boggy at the top of the garden

33718971-cqDz3.jpg
33718971-KlJ0n.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants