Expired

Advice on eBay account & not paying fees

Found 26th Nov 2014
I stupidly let my brother use my eBay account to sell and he got it suspended for selling something counterfeit (he buys from charity shops and sells online but something was fake adidas) anyway he's left me high and dry as the fees have not been paid £460 and eBay are threatening ME! I have tried contacting them to explain and give them my brothers details to chase him but they won't listen to me! I'm frantic with worry coz if hubby finds out he will hit the roof as we don't wanna get blacklisted!! What can I do!?
Community Updates
14 Comments
Ebay don't blacklist you
Probably not much you can do as it's your account and your responsibility.

Comment

claire7519

Ebay don't blacklist you

They are threatening me with collection agency etc.. Can't they put a mark on your credit file or something? We have impeccable credit, and need it to stay that way for renewing mortgage
You can get the money from your brother and pay up.
Pay up, get the money from your brother and change your E-Bay password
traythegreat

CommentThey are threatening me with collection agency etc.. Can't they … CommentThey are threatening me with collection agency etc.. Can't they put a mark on your credit file or something? We have impeccable credit, and need it to stay that way for renewing mortgage

It's what they do and the collection agency are a pain up the ****, they call constantly, I owed ebay fees for about 8 months, paid it eventually but the collection agency they used kept calling and calling ... For over a month afterwards because I paid directly through ebay & the agency wanted their ten pound fee lol .. They did give up when I told them they were harassing me, nothing went on my credit file.
....so assuming he sold via PayPal, he used your PayPal account too? How did he get hold of the sales proceeds?
Tell your hubby & let him sort your bad brother out .. I would!
traythegreat

I stupidly let my brother use my eBay account to sell and he got it … I stupidly let my brother use my eBay account to sell and he got it suspended for selling something counterfeit (he buys from charity shops and sells online but something was fake adidas) anyway he's left me high and dry as the fees have not been paid £460 and eBay are threatening ME! I have tried contacting them to explain and give them my brothers details to chase him but they won't listen to me! I'm frantic with worry coz if hubby finds out he will hit the roof as we don't wanna get blacklisted!! What can I do!?

£460 in fees? assuming you have a private account that would mean £4600 in sales. Quite a few pairs of adidas eh?

Anyway, if not paid ebay will send you email for a couple of months before passing/selling the debt onto a debt collection agency. I believe they currently use iQor. Debt collection agencies are not bailiffs so can not just come and take anything but they will send letters and call you constantly for months. If it is £460 I would assume they would go down the legal route and not write it off, this will probably involve the small claims court which can lead to bailiffs. If it's £46 and the £460 was a typo I wouldn't be too worried.

PS: eBay will blacklist you, in the sense that all accounts that are linked via the same address etc will be closed and you will not be allowed to open further accounts until you settle the fees owed. Also note these debts can appear on your credit report so if you need a mortgage etc later on I would pay up.
Edited by: "ipodandlaptops" 26th Nov 2014
Since you violated their terms and conditions by allowing someone else to use your account I am afraid you haven't a leg to stand on.

They are due their fees, they don't care who pays them but they will only chase you.

If you don't pay they will eventually apply to the country court for a judgment against you and this will adversely affect your future ability to obtain credit.

The fees have to be paid. Your concern right now is how that can happen. Find a way to pay and then chase your brother. Since he was doing something illegal and you helped facilitate this, willingly/knowingly or not, I fear you will have to sort that out personally without the help of the court system.

Secrets cause problems, tell your husband so he isn't blind sided by this and potentially embarrassed when you renew the mortgage.

To summarize:

eBay's issue is with you
Your issue is with your brother

Two separate issues that should be addressed in that order. The first to be addressed immediately and the second however you can. Allow him to pay you back monthly perhaps.
my friend had a ebay account but never paid. u probably get a few letters of demand but thats as far as it go. just unlink your paypal account to stop any payments going out. its simply letters and account suspension.
deleted79467
get money from brother
pay off ebay
job done
Horse bolted
Shut the door
Poor mare
MightyName

Since you violated their terms and conditions by allowing someone else to … Since you violated their terms and conditions by allowing someone else to use your account I am afraid you haven't a leg to stand on.They are due their fees, they don't care who pays them but they will only chase you.If you don't pay they will eventually apply to the country court for a judgment against you and this will adversely affect your future ability to obtain credit.The fees have to be paid. Your concern right now is how that can happen. Find a way to pay and then chase your brother. Since he was doing something illegal and you helped facilitate this, willingly/knowingly or not, I fear you will have to sort that out personally without the help of the court system.Secrets cause problems, tell your husband so he isn't blind sided by this and potentially embarrassed when you renew the mortgage.To summarize:eBay's issue is with youYour issue is with your brotherTwo separate issues that should be addressed in that order. The first to be addressed immediately and the second however you can. Allow him to pay you back monthly perhaps.

Here here, best answer yet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants