Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Advice on ebay sale

Posted 13th Jan
Hi
Need a bit of advice

I sold a brand new sealed xbox one s 3 months ago on ebay , the buyer left me feedback saying he was hapoy a week later

Then last week (7th jan) he opens a paypal case stating its not as described and controller is damaged !

Paypal closed the case on my side

Has he got a leg to stand on now? Can he come back again through paypal ?

Im just shocked at the cheek of it tbh
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Opps forgot to say thanks in advance !
just ignore from now on and move on. Nothing buyer can do.
chocci13/01/2020 10:39

just ignore from now on and move on. Nothing buyer can do.

Thanks
When you say "Opened a case on Paypal" did you really mean Ebay? As Ebay/Paypal are two separate entities then it makes a difference. People have lost cases on Ebay - but then open a Paypal investigation (who rule in their favour) and got their money back via that.

Was the controller actually damaged? I.e. had you stated in the description as such (and they are just trying it on) or have they provided any evidence to back up the statement? How was the case decided in your favour?

I'm just wondering if they will come at you from whatever avenue they didn't try first. I don't think one takes into account the decision made by the other in ALL cases.

Anyway, lets hope it's the end of it, eh? Love the username, by the way!

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix13/01/2020 11:20

When you say "Opened a case on Paypal" did you really mean Ebay? As …When you say "Opened a case on Paypal" did you really mean Ebay? As Ebay/Paypal are two separate entities then it makes a difference. People have lost cases on Ebay - but then open a Paypal investigation (who rule in their favour) and got their money back via that.Was the controller actually damaged? I.e. had you stated in the description as such (and they are just trying it on) or have they provided any evidence to back up the statement? How was the case decided in your favour?I'm just wondering if they will come at you from whatever avenue they didn't try first. I don't think one takes into account the decision made by the other in ALL cases.Anyway, lets hope it's the end of it, eh? Love the username, by the way! Regards, Phsy.

Ebay basivally told him to do one as it ess over 30 days
Ithe console was brand new sealed
He originally told me he used the console and the controller stopped working, then when he contacted paypal he changed it to opened on christmas day
Paypal looked at what i told then also at the fact he left feedback that all was ok and then he suddenly contacts me 3 months later.. and was pretty rude to me even though i offered him money to buy himself a new controller

Lol and thanks
Phsycronix13/01/2020 11:20

When you say "Opened a case on Paypal" did you really mean Ebay? As …When you say "Opened a case on Paypal" did you really mean Ebay? As Ebay/Paypal are two separate entities then it makes a difference. People have lost cases on Ebay - but then open a Paypal investigation (who rule in their favour) and got their money back via that.Was the controller actually damaged? I.e. had you stated in the description as such (and they are just trying it on) or have they provided any evidence to back up the statement? How was the case decided in your favour?I'm just wondering if they will come at you from whatever avenue they didn't try first. I don't think one takes into account the decision made by the other in ALL cases.Anyway, lets hope it's the end of it, eh? Love the username, by the way! Regards, Phsy.

I think im going to take a break from ebay, just last week i sold a ps4 pro to someone who had hacked an account, luckily just as i was booking the courier i got contacted by the actual account holder....so feeling slightly jinxed at the moment lol
You got two chances to open a case. First with eBay and then with Paypal. Since the buyer opened a case with Paypal first then you only get one chance, Paypal supersedes eBay, meaning you can't go running to eBay if you lose. If Paypal sided with you then that's the end of the matter.
Still a wee bit confused but it doesn't matter as you are sorted.

From what you say, it seems the buyer opened the case originally with Ebay - who ruled in your favour. Then they tried to go via Paypal dispute - who also looked at the transaction/circumstances and also ruled in your favour - so win/win. No more worries.

I suppose there is always the chance (if it was a new, sealed console) that the controller IS faulty (which you of course wouldn't have known) so that's kinda sad for the buyer but if you even offered them money for a replacement then that is very good/kind form from you. I don't suppose they could use the warranty (through you) to obtain a replacement? Mind you, if they were rude to you then I guess you don't feel like being very helpful now! Totally understandable...
Phsycronix13/01/2020 11:47

Still a wee bit confused but it doesn't matter as you are sorted.From what …Still a wee bit confused but it doesn't matter as you are sorted.From what you say, it seems the buyer opened the case originally with Ebay - who ruled in your favour. Then they tried to go via Paypal dispute - who also looked at the transaction/circumstances and also ruled in your favour - so win/win. No more worries.I suppose there is always the chance (if it was a new, sealed console) that the controller IS faulty (which you of course wouldn't have known) so that's kinda sad for the buyer but if you even offered them money for a replacement then that is very good/kind form from you. I don't suppose they could use the warranty (through you) to obtain a replacement? Mind you, if they were rude to you then I guess you don't feel like being very helpful now! Totally understandable...

Also the fact that i sold my xbox to them on the 7th of october and they left feedback to say all was good...

Was just a bit shocked as 13 years with ebay ive never dealt with anyone like this

And Im just a very paranoid person lol
RiverDragon813/01/2020 11:45

You got two chances to open a case. First with eBay and then with Paypal. …You got two chances to open a case. First with eBay and then with Paypal. Since the buyer opened a case with Paypal first then you only get one chance, Paypal supersedes eBay, meaning you can't go running to eBay if you lose. If Paypal sided with you then that's the end of the matter.

Thanks.. 13 years on ebay and still learning lol
ThaCheezBurglar13/01/2020 11:41

I think im going to take a break from ebay, just last week i sold a ps4 …I think im going to take a break from ebay, just last week i sold a ps4 pro to someone who had hacked an account, luckily just as i was booking the courier i got contacted by the actual account holder....so feeling slightly jinxed at the moment lol

Ebay has sadly become a scammers paradise. I haven't used them to 'sell' for many years now. I know it's not strictly Ebay's fault but the "baddies" know it's an easy touch and when something is easy to attack - they all get in on the action. Even not so bad "baddies" are using Ebay's 'easy' nature towards refunding buyers to scam sellers. It's become a far too regular occurrence on this very site to read thread upon thread of people who have fallen foul to the same well-trodden scams - because Tom, Dix & Harry are in the knowledge that Ebay will no doubt side with them almost immediately. Sadly it's an ever growing culture...
Phsycronix13/01/2020 12:01

Ebay has sadly become a scammers paradise. I haven't used them to 'sell' …Ebay has sadly become a scammers paradise. I haven't used them to 'sell' for many years now. I know it's not strictly Ebay's fault but the "baddies" know it's an easy touch and when something is easy to attack - they all get in on the action. Even not so bad "baddies" are using Ebay's 'easy' nature towards refunding buyers to scam sellers. It's become a far too regular occurrence on this very site to read thread upon thread of people who have fallen foul to the same well-trodden scams - because Tom, Dix & Harry are in the knowledge that Ebay will no doubt side with them almost immediately. Sadly it's an ever growing culture...

Just have to be mega careful i guess

Thanks for your advice
Thanks for the advice guys, will expire
Waits for buyer to attempt the card chargeback route, resulting in seller being forced to cover full refund to buyer and seller also paying PPs chargeback admin fees, so effectively costs the buyer money not to have sold the item that is no longer in the buyer's possession. Nice.
AndyRoyd13/01/2020 12:15

Waits for buyer to attempt the card chargeback route, resulting in seller …Waits for buyer to attempt the card chargeback route, resulting in seller being forced to cover full refund to buyer and seller also paying PPs chargeback admin fees, so effectively costs the buyer money not to have sold the item that is no longer in the buyer's possession. Nice.

Your covered against chargebacks if you complied with the seller protection rules, tracked delivery to the Paypal address.
Lots of scammers out there. I have sold a few sealed new items. And luckily taken photos, and had receipts of purchases. - Boxes sealed 100%. Yet the buyer had a cheek to say the item was used/damaged/Faulty exactly 3 months after purchasing it from me. When he sent me a email i said i had all the proof needed that the item sold was brand new sealed, and i was happy for him to open a case which he won't win. I heard nothing back.
Edited by: "Tiddly_fiddly" 13th Jan
Azwipe13/01/2020 12:50

Your covered against chargebacks if you complied with the seller …Your covered against chargebacks if you complied with the seller protection rules, tracked delivery to the Paypal address.

Irrelevant as the buyer's payment card issuer has zero interest in whatever arrangement the seller has with PayPal and the card issuer will enforce a chargeback on behalf of the buyer if it (the card issuer) deems to do so is appropriate, when PayPal will then bill the seller, and levy PPs chargeback fee as per PPs seller t&c.
Unless you mean PayPal will reimburse the seller against card issuer's chargeback enforcement which I have not seen in PP t&c, and which presumably is kinda unlikely to be on offer as PP levies a fee to seller to process the payment card issuer's chargeback enforcement.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions