Advice on extending Internet in house.

Found 3rd Feb
Little but confused as to what I should be buying so thought I would post here for some advice.

Will be shortly moving into a 2 bed house, the router is in the kitchen and my room is at the opposite end of the house on the 2nd floor so the WiFi signal is rubbish (1 bar)

Now ill be setting up my smart TV, xbox, pc, dreamcast so would it be just a case of buying some powerine adapters? Any advice on which ones to get to to cover all devices? (I'm using an ethernet hub at the moment) would be nice to somehow boost the signal (just for my phone)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Review of above here:
Does Dreamcast still have working online? Genuine question
Run a hard wired LAN.
Cheaper, faster and more secure.
krazyasif78639 m ago

If budget allows these are good …If budget allows these are good https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L9O08PW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2UDPAGPA4PAM6&colid=A97IVE60YW0V&psc=0

Ooof I'm sure they're good but don't fancy spending that much as it'll be a temporary thing for like 3 months.
jco8333 m ago

Does Dreamcast still have working online? Genuine question

It certainly does, using a raspberry pi and a couple of other devices I can quite happily sit and play Phantasy Star Online again
parsimony33 m ago

Run a hard wired LAN.Cheaper, faster and more secure.

Unfortunately not an option to run a cable through the house, thus is just a temporary thing for 3 months
why is running a cable not an option? Just buy a long cable, and tuck it away. If it is only for 3months what does it matter?

Saves you spending/wasting money on powerline adapters etc which may not work all that well anyway, or signal boosters which usually go the same way.
Back to basics; A 2 bed house and router performance doesn't reach the whole property suggests you have a poor router. Which ISP are you with? If it's BT or Plusnet, sourcing a Home Hub 6 off ebay or gumtree may be a good solution
ccnp30 m ago

Back to basics; A 2 bed house and router performance doesn't reach the …Back to basics; A 2 bed house and router performance doesn't reach the whole property suggests you have a poor router. Which ISP are you with? If it's BT or Plusnet, sourcing a Home Hub 6 off ebay or gumtree may be a good solution

I have a Virgin super hub 100 meg speeds in a 3 bed house . And needs to get through 2 brick walls to get to my man cave ! So over wifi speeds drop to 10 meg in that room sometimes and next to the router the speeds hit 100 meg over WiFi . So lots of variations depending on property and materials the home is built with .
If its just wifi to boost what about these £12.99 ... alternatively if you want to connect PC / Laptop via ethernet then the cheapest way is as stated - a long ethernet cable connected to your router ...

amazon.co.uk/Xia…der

Mesh wifi network. Few different brands available Inc Google
We got the NETGEAR Mini N300,
Best £15 iv spent - sorted out the bad signal upstairs from no signal bars, to Full bars
yozzman12342 h, 24 m ago

I have a Virgin super hub 100 meg speeds in a 3 bed house . And needs to …I have a Virgin super hub 100 meg speeds in a 3 bed house . And needs to get through 2 brick walls to get to my man cave ! So over wifi speeds drop to 10 meg in that room sometimes and next to the router the speeds hit 100 meg over WiFi . So lots of variations depending on property and materials the home is built with .

That hub gets some poor reviews. 2 brick walls is going to impact performance but this sounds extreme in a 2 bed house. Have you spoken to Virgin tech support? Try for a replacement hub to check it isnt a duffer.
Try the new mesh routers. You’ll only probably need two, far superior to extenders and are the future of WiFi.

Google home WiFi or BT home WiFi are two well known brands.
Let’s go back to the cable 30m run it outside the house sorted
not sure why but every time I hear people on here talking about doing random cables runs this image pops into my head:

33194364-ii7Rc.jpg
Trouble is.. The power of some routers is drowning out the signals. I can pick up 25+ wifi signals at home and walk half way down the close before my home signal drops, yet... I can stand next to my router and get no Internet. Its because I'm getting blasted out with all this WiFi. I hear good things about mesh but when everyone gets a set of these mesh extenders I feel we will be back here complaining again.. Maybe
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Feb
yozzman12346 h, 22 m ago

I have a Virgin super hub 100 meg speeds in a 3 bed house . And needs to …I have a Virgin super hub 100 meg speeds in a 3 bed house . And needs to get through 2 brick walls to get to my man cave ! So over wifi speeds drop to 10 meg in that room sometimes and next to the router the speeds hit 100 meg over WiFi . So lots of variations depending on property and materials the home is built with .

Virgin give you a long high quality coax cable whilst VDSL modems tend to come with some cheap crap so they keep the length sort. Ends up with a lot of WiFi routers being left on the floor by the front door. ISPs love it as a slow internet connection means more profit.
WiFi Booster Belkin about £15 good if you have solid concrete walls
Edited by: "ASongOfFireAndIce" 3rd Feb
I'd give this a try if budget stretches to £45:
amazon.co.uk/Pow…lug

Or this at £35:
amazon.co.uk/TL-…lug

I have an older version of the Devolo set for a good 5-6 years and I think I've had to reset them maybe once in all that time, amazingly reliable. You'd plug the non-wifi end into the router in the kitchen, and the wifi-end in your room. I guess you could plug your ethernet hub in to this also for the extra ports.

And I guess you could try flogging it after your 3 months if no longer required...
I had a similar issue with sky and their router. So I got hold of an old bt hub 5, bridged the routes together with hard cable.

Turned off the sky WiFi network and placed the BT hub in the middle of the house so it covers every inch of the house from the BT routers WiFi.

Then I hard wire into the BT hub for things like the PS4 pro and pc.

Should be able to get a cheap bt hub off eBay.
Edited by: "kos1c" 4th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants