EXPIRED

advice on faulty 7 month old sony tv from currys

sony x9005a purchased end of april 2014 from currys online

on the weekend when an advert for broadchurch was on the screen looked really bad nowhere near black bright patches and lines running down the sides and along the bottom looks like a back light issue / fault

called currys they said i need to call sony to get it repaired basicly passed the buck

i know sales of goods act states contract is with retailer what sould be done
keep at currys and due to the age of item

or ring sony

23 Comments

Personally I would try Sony directly as Currys are utterly **** when it comes to repairs!

Original Poster

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss178/deadlydave1990/20141207_210325_zps86f8d824.jpg

your covered by 12months warantty, and your contract is with Currys not Sony. It is the stores responsability to fix or replace

Original Poster

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss178/deadlydave1990/20141207_214400_zps981f3e94.jpg

Original Poster

last pic of right hand side http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss178/deadlydave1990/20141207_214605_zps3c930457.jpg

Original Poster

nightdove4771

your covered by 12months warantty, and your contract is with Currys not … your covered by 12months warantty, and your contract is with Currys not Sony. It is the stores responsability to fix or replace

they just keep telling me the repair agent is sony for this order and to call them

kind of feel like telling them its not my issue who the repair agent is
Edited by: "davver99" 10th Dec 2014

Curry's. Phone customer services.

davver99

Looks like an LED edge lit screen. It looks fine to me except for the brightness looks to be at maximum . Try lowering your brightness and increasing the gamma. The washed out effect is the LCD not able to block all the light. Look into bias lighting as it will let you achieve better blacks and stop you from straining your eyes, it's a bad idea to watch tv in a poorly lit room.

Original Poster

kester76

Looks like an LED edge lit screen. It looks fine to me except for the … Looks like an LED edge lit screen. It looks fine to me except for the brightness looks to be at maximum . Try lowering your brightness and increasing the gamma. The washed out effect is the LCD not able to block all the light. Look into bias lighting as it will let you achieve better blacks and stop you from straining your eyes, it's a bad idea to watch tv in a poorly lit room.

these lines down the side are still there and were not when brand new also its just on default tv settings not been changed same on other settings just not as bad

Have you maybe just changed the picture settings by accident? Try contrast at nearly 100% and reduce brightness by quite a bit.

Original Poster

MIDURIX

Have you maybe just changed the picture settings by accident? Try … Have you maybe just changed the picture settings by accident? Try contrast at nearly 100% and reduce brightness by quite a bit.

even dropping the backlight to lowest the lines are there really annoying

Currys is you point of contact, it was them that sold you the item under the sale of goods act 1979. If they want to send it to Sony, they can, but that is their responsibility not yours.
Summary
All goods must be:
as described
of satisfactory quality and
fit for purpose (This includes the durability)
If they're not, the retailer is in breach of contract and you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act
Edited by: "James_dean" 10th Dec 2014

avforums.com/thr…54/
Looks like it's not such a good 4k. Could be the passive 3d filter that's causing the issue and you're just more aware of the problem

Look at the Currys Link Question No.1

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Over the phone: In the case of large products such as white goods and TVs, please call our contact centre on 0344 561 1234 where our colleagues in Sheffield will arrange either a repair or exchange.

Original Poster

rewdy

Look at the Currys Link Question No.1 … Look at the Currys Link Question No.1 http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/faqs-1121-theme.htmlOver the phone: In the case of large products such as white goods and TVs, please call our contact centre on 0344 561 1234 where our colleagues in Sheffield will arrange either a repair or exchange.

yep i called them they said i need to call sony

although you bought the item from currys, wouldnt it just be easier to talk to sony your self. it would avoid chinese whispers of everything going through Currys then on to sony. You are making the phone call to currys why not just make it to sony instead? is it just to stick it to the big man. Seems like the easiest thing (and least likely to cause you issues during the fixing of the problem) for you would be to phone sony like they suggest. I suppose you could take it to store and do it that way, but as it is a hard to explain picture fault that you are aware of it would be easy to run any diagnostics or fixes that sony may have from your house as it would be really annoying if you cant replicate the problem in store and they tell you there is no fault.

chezzy

although you bought the item from currys, wouldnt it just be easier to … although you bought the item from currys, wouldnt it just be easier to talk to sony your self. it would avoid chinese whispers of everything going through Currys then on to sony. You are making the phone call to currys why not just make it to sony instead? is it just to stick it to the big man. Seems like the easiest thing (and least likely to cause you issues during the fixing of the problem) for you would be to phone sony like they suggest. I suppose you could take it to store and do it that way, but as it is a hard to explain picture fault that you are aware of it would be easy to run any diagnostics or fixes that sony may have from your house as it would be really annoying if you cant replicate the problem in store and they tell you there is no fault.

Doing this you have to pay to send the item back to where Sony is instead of dropping off at a Curry's store. Not a good idea.

chezzy

although you bought the item from currys, wouldnt it just be easier to … although you bought the item from currys, wouldnt it just be easier to talk to sony your self. it would avoid chinese whispers of everything going through Currys then on to sony. You are making the phone call to currys why not just make it to sony instead? is it just to stick it to the big man. Seems like the easiest thing (and least likely to cause you issues during the fixing of the problem) for you would be to phone sony like they suggest. I suppose you could take it to store and do it that way, but as it is a hard to explain picture fault that you are aware of it would be easy to run any diagnostics or fixes that sony may have from your house as it would be really annoying if you cant replicate the problem in store and they tell you there is no fault.

Because Currys are trying to get out of their responsibilities and if everyone took that view then they'd get away with a lot more than they do, consumers seem to forget that we are (Or supposed to be) protected by Laws that many retailers just flaunt and can only be a bad thing if retailers are allowed to carry on taking the urine....

Just take it back to currys and tell them you aint moving untill they sort the problem to your satisfaction...currys only employ lazy s.o.d.s who will do their utmost to pass the buck so they can continue doing nothing...

Likely2

Because Currys are trying to get out of their responsibilities and if … Because Currys are trying to get out of their responsibilities and if everyone took that view then they'd get away with a lot more than they do, consumers seem to forget that we are (Or supposed to be) protected by Laws that many retailers just flaunt and can only be a bad thing if retailers are allowed to carry on taking the urine....

So yes it is to stick it to the man like i said you go mate! Good on You

technically after 6 months the onus is on the customer to prove the goods were unfit for purpose at the time of purchase not on the retailer, yes you would be reimbursed for the cost of the independant engineers report if it is proven correct, but that wont be till the end of the process, should he do that, now on top of christmas, or does the fact that you as a consumer want to flout that part of the SOGA not matter?

OP, sorry i was not trying to Troll your thread, i really think it would be easiest for you to ring Sony with the TV in your house at time of phone call.

If they do try charging you for anything (which i dont see why they should) then i would ring currys and tell them you contacted sony and they have tried charging you, sony will have all your information of the fault straight from the horses mouth at this point so not much can go wrong, currys cant argue as you have done what they asked you.

Sorry to say but you are wasting your time with Sony.
TV will be returned no fault found however obvious the fault is........
I have been through it and will never buy another Sony product again.
The fault you have is very common and well documented on AV forums but unfortunately Sony dont recognise it as a problem ???
Best to pester Currys if you want a result in your favour

avforums.com/thr…-43
Edited by: "aabs" 10th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Asked citizens advise

Will call sony tomorrow and then call currys
Thanks for replys
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927377
    2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2462
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767370
    4. word association Game74044538

See more discussions