Advice on Freesat

Found 30th Jan
Can anyone advice what is the best box to move over to Freesat.
I want to cancel my sky,
I am looking for a box that records and has all the catch up apps such as itv player etc and needs to be WiFi. Does anyone also know if NOW TV can also be added.

Thanks all.
Community Updates
9 Comments
I'd go for the Humax HDR-1100S.
But, there isn't much choice really.
I use a Sky box for freesat ( never had sky)

lol
You can use existing sky box but will need a new card from sky for £25 or poss ebay for £5
Flynn.Jack1 h, 26 m ago

You can use existing sky box but will need a new card from sky for £25 or …You can use existing sky box but will need a new card from sky for £25 or poss ebay for £5

Doesn't the old viewing card still work for Freesat?
Mine used to.

Another vote for Humax from me.
Hi, if its worth anything this is what I done as I wanted to save money...

I got a refurbished HB-1000s and attached an old usb hard-drive so I can record (albeit without the ability to watch another channel at the same time) on to it using both the epg on the tv and my mobile. Total cost of that would probably be £70 for a second-hand/refurbed box and a 500gb usb hard-drive. Oh and under a tenner for a wifi adapter from Amazon if you cant connect it to your router via a cable (it needs a specific type but theyre a lot cheaper than the official ones and work just as well!).

The Freesat recordable boxes that are like Sky+ ie record one channel and watch another are just under £200 brand new, maybe £140 refurbished.

The Freesat box gives the usual of HD & SD channels and radio; and even allows the non-freesat mode for a handful of extra ones; also has all UK catch-ups & Netflix, backwards epg, Showcase to name a few. No Amazon, NowTV or WWE etc though.

I paired this with a second hand Roku stick for £15 (new express version is just under £30 for same channels/UI etc but runs a bit speedier) to give all the apps youll ever need with lots of decent free content too.

Sadly there isnt "one box to rule them all" and tbh nor will there ever be but imho you cant go far wrong with the above if youre aiming to make savings! :-)
Id also recommend a second-hand Youview recording box with TalkTalk branding (should be under £50 and will have 320gb storage as well as on-demand) on if youre torn between just having Freesat and Freeview but its personal preference.
Bobbajob4 h, 26 m ago

Doesn't the old viewing card still work for Freesat?Mine used to.Another …Doesn't the old viewing card still work for Freesat?Mine used to.Another vote for Humax from me.

Might do, ours didn't think they may be able to knoble them(?)
Original Poster
Flynn.Jack31st Jan

You can use existing sky box but will need a new card from sky for £25 or …You can use existing sky box but will need a new card from sky for £25 or poss ebay for £5

Will this allow you to record as I thought the sky box won’t record without subscription?
No recording
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions