Expired

Advice on incorrect details on ticket from trafic cop wanted

Found 2nd Jul 2011
A friend of mines is asking this on Facebook.

Ok folks !!! I got myself a pink slip from the cops for not wearing my seatbelt .. I know.. Slap slap .. However.. I noticed that the pig got the last 2 letters the wrong way round while writing down my registration number. Will I get away with not paying??

Anyone got any advice to offer? cheers
Community Updates
Misc
30 Comments
and the pig may have saved his/her life?

i would pay up anyway maybe he/she will remember to wear it next time x
i don't know about not paying, but just to be a busy body, where they not wearing a seatbelt , i saw an interview yesterday that a woman's husband had fallen asleep at the wheel, with no seatbelt on and he died, she was asleep with her belt on, heels broke but other than that fine, her son and girlfriend in th back asleep with no belts on died, the back doors had flown open and they had fallen out, baby in babyseat was fine. i hate weaing a seatbelt they are uncomfy and cut into my neck but would rather that than being dead or in a wheel chair.

Edited by: "happyshopper1" 2nd Jul 2011
I think you will get away with it.

Because simular situation happened to my friend, got some details wrong on the slip and it didnt come back to him.... 4 years on now.
Forget the fine your home dry, but just to be on the safe side, sell the car and move to mexico no one will find you!!!!!!
Hopefully your friend will have an accident soon whilst not wearing his seatbelt again,only he will be hurt and the police will refuse to help as he has called them pigs and he will suffer a lot of pain and financial loss
Some things which are wrong can be corrected in court. That is how it works in Scotland. I know that of they name the wrong road that it can be changed in court and it makes no difference, you are still guilty!

Your "friend" is lucky to get a fine rather than be in a crash and need major surgery.
tell them to stop getting out of something that was imposed to save their life
Does a mistake on a fixed penalty ticket invalidate it?

We get lots of question from people who have spotted that there is a mistake on the fixed penalty ticket they have received from the police.

This can be in relation to a speeding matter, or a red traffic light offence, or contravening a traffic sign etc etc.

The question we get asked is whether or not the mistake on the ticket invalidates it..?

The answer is normally no !!

The fixed penalty ticket is an offer made by the police to allow you to get the matter over and done with in a quick and cost effective way.

The ticket is not a reflection of the evidence that the police have against you. Its just a summary of the offence and an indication that, if you so choose, you can deal with it by paying £60/£200 and getting 3/6 points on your licence.

The people I speak to normally argue that the ticket is defective because the police officer has put the wrong date of offence, or the wrong registration number for the vehicle, or slightly the wrong name, or maybe the wrong date of birth.

Remeber - the ticket isn't the officer's evidence.

If you reject the ticket the officer will ask for a court summons to be issued and he will draft a formal statement outlining the offence in more detail. The officer is unlikely to make the same mistake on his statement and will take the details from his pocket notebook entry.

Now - if you take issue with the offence itself, for example, you don't accept that you were speeding, or you don't accept that you contravened the traffic light then you should ask for a court hearing and contest the allegation.

The fact that the officer has made a mistake may help you to show the court that the officer is "slapdash" in his approach and therefore the rest of his evidence is unreliable....

But - you will not win the case simply by standing up in court, accepting that you committed the offence, but pointing out that the officer made a mistake.

The officer's job at court is to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you committed the offence in question. If he can do that a mistake on the ticket will not save you.
Edited by: "davelfc" 2nd Jul 2011
I never knew pigs could write, what ever next flying pigs maybe!!!!
I was pulled a couple of years ago for not wearing a seatbelt ( having never worn 1 in all my life).....i took the 60 quid fine on the chin.

P.S. I have worn my seat belt ever since. i mean who else is gonna bring home the BACON.
ah yes I found what the "pig" wrote down & your mate is right, he did indeed get the last two letters round the wrong way, I'd tell him to get a better personalised number plate to avoid any confusion again.

http://www.demonplates.com/regplate/composite/b6ucc1970s9u1fmkubc4uoof55_15.png
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/19/article-0-09A77597000005DC-783_634x413.jpg
Davelfc above is correct, errors on the fixed penalty notice are pretty much irrelevant as it's simply an offer for you to avoid court and pay a fine instead. If you choose to go to court the fixed penalty notice becomes a piece of waste paper as it will have nothing to do with the court procedure.

Errors on the Notice of Intention to Prosecute ('NIP') are different and can be a bar to prosecution.

John
People are weird.

I like the police. I think they're great. I think this because they've never been anything but good to me. They also do an excellent job of keeping criminal scum away from me, which I really do appreciate them for.

These people that hate the police, I really have to wonder why.
I suggest the op watch this video
The law makes me laugh. You can't drive without a seatbelt or eat but you can smoke. You can't use your mobile phone but you can a cb radio.
You can't operate a satnav but you can a radio.

seatbelts should be a choice but I do agree with child car seats.

Your mate will be alright, I murdered someone last week and they spelt my name wrong so I got off.
dxx

People are weird.I like the police. I think they're great. I think this … People are weird.I like the police. I think they're great. I think this because they've never been anything but good to me. They also do an excellent job of keeping criminal scum away from me, which I really do appreciate them for. These people that hate the police, I really have to wonder why.

It's horrible when they unlawfully kill innocent people though
Its horrible when anyone unlawfully kills innocent people this isn't exclusive to the police.

People in England just need someone to hate to make themselves feel better, especially the lowest common denominators out there. At home it was there parents, at school I was teachers, in the world it's police. They are brought up not to respect authority or anyone who has made more of there life.
The police do themselves no favours, a lot of them have a poor attitude and of course they've appeared to become revenue collectors for the government.

Years ago if you were stopped by a copper for a minor offense you'd get a warning, a ticking off. Most of the time that would be enough, you'd make sure you didn't do that again. At worst you'd make sure you didn't get caught again.

Now it's straight to the fixed penalty notice, it's so bad that people can't see that they committed and offence, they just want a way to get out of it. It's almost as if it's the fault of the police that you've got this penalty.

They have a difficult job made worse by what successive governments have turned them into. It's only going to get worse.

so in an accident you kill the kids in the child seats? cos your a fat missile?

markvirgo

The law makes me laugh. You can't drive without a seatbelt or eat but you … The law makes me laugh. You can't drive without a seatbelt or eat but you can smoke. You can't use your mobile phone but you can a cb radio.You can't operate a satnav but you can a radio.seatbelts should be a choice but I do agree with child car seats.

plumberman01

so in an accident you kill the kids in the child seats? cos your a fat … so in an accident you kill the kids in the child seats? cos your a fat missile?

I disagree on the seatbelt being optional, if I have someone behind me that refuses to belt up and we have and accident then chances are they'll kill me as they hit the back of my seat. I don't want them having the choice. Besides the law was introduced to stop stupid people killing themselves, I think you've helped to make my point.

Oh and on smoking, operation radio etc.

Highway Code
The new Highway Code includes a revised rule 148 which now affects smokers. This reads:

148: Safe driving and riding needs concentration.

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as:

loud music (this may mask other sounds)
trying to read maps
inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
eating and drinking
smoking
You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances.

Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.

Comment
The Highway Code does not make it a specific offence to smoke while driving, any more than it is currently an offence to change a cassette, read a map or eat.

However, if any of these behaviours are coupled with bad driving, or lead to an accident, a charge of careless driving, or not being in a position to control the vehicle becomes a distinct possibility.

They can also be used to show dangerous driving, an offence which could lead to imprisonment, particularly if the dangerous driving causes a death.

A good comparison would be with using mobile telephones. Being seen to use a hand-held phone is now a specific offence (the Highway Code says 'MUST NOT'). Using a hands-free phone is not a specific offence, but provides grounds for a careless or dangerous driving prosecution in the event of erratic driving or an accident.
I would offer advice but it seems to me you a prize male chicken as well as your mate if you had come on here and shown some sort of respect for those who choose to do a difficult job and have to take the abuse from the minority would have been more than happy to give you advice as I have during my service issued a ticket and have made an error with the index of the car, but as far as I am concerned you can whistle Dixie until you learn some manners
Edited by: "dog_cop" 3rd Jul 2011
dog_cop

I would offer advice but it seems to me you a prize male chicken as wells … I would offer advice but it seems to me you a prize male chicken as wells your mate if you had come on here and shown some sort of respect for those who choose to do a difficult job and have to take the abuse from the minority would have been more than happy to give you advice as I have during my service issued a ticket and have made an error with the index of the car, but as far as I am concerned you can whistle Dixie until you learn some manners

to be fair, I think the quote is directly from the original facebook comment, not from the OP.

Still, could have tidied it up somewhat!
Agreed
plumberman01

so in an accident you kill the kids in the child seats? cos your a fat … so in an accident you kill the kids in the child seats? cos your a fat missile?

So Im fat now?. I better diet from size medium to small then.

So i'm in the drivers seat and my child is in the seat behind me how can I be a missile.

Im 40 and have never had an insurance claim or anything so im not an idiot I do wear my seatbelt because its the law.

What about buses? how many "fat missiles are on there without belts?"

no not implying you need a diet lol just anyone at 70mph is a heavy missile..and i wasnt just thinking of you driving tbh i was considering rear passengers.

my grandfather died after breaking the steering wheel of his car with his chest..his car didnt have them fitted it was years ago...but if it had it would surely have been s different result..oh and he had a clean licence just at night you dont see an artic lorry over a dual carraigeway with no lights on its side...so excuse me if im a little sensitive on this subject..

markvirgo

So Im fat now?. I better diet from size medium to small then.So i'm in … So Im fat now?. I better diet from size medium to small then.So i'm in the drivers seat and my child is in the seat behind me how can I be a missile.Im 40 and have never had an insurance claim or anything so im not an idiot I do wear my seatbelt because its the law.What about buses? how many "fat missiles are on there without belts?"

and buses i agree with..we have them on coaches so why not?

our buses go about 40 round roundabouts..never again x

What a spectacularly random thing to say. Does that make sense inside your brain?

whatsThePoint

Then why not offer to swop places with the people who are in prison or … Then why not offer to swop places with the people who are in prison or worst because the police have broken the law in dealing with them

I have same thing Policeman wrote reg wrong. And conditional offer states I was driving vehicle xxx. My argument is to tick box stating I was driving vehicle xxx is providing false information to Police. And is that not illegal in itself? And therefore is not form with incorrect registration entrapment? If they send me form with correct detials I have no problem ticking box and paying fine!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions