Advice on misleading advertising CPW

Found 26th Feb
Hi, I have been told today by more than 1 Carphone Warehouse adviser,that they do not have to honour the deals that are on their website.

The deal was for my mum, who wanted the iPhone 6 with 2gb of data for £29.99 upfront and £23 a month.

However the telephone advisers said that deal was going to be changed soon so she couldn’t have it.

Isn’t advertising that deliberately misleads consumers illegal?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
From my understanding and past experience in store colleagues are not obliged to honour the any errors or deals online. Due to the Term and Conditions online.

As you have stated that it was a deal you saw online and was told by an operator over the phone it was due to change. You should have at this point asked to speak to a Manager to have the deal honoured. They would honour it if it was online.

The only times where they wouldn’t honour it is if you searched via google and it picked up the deals from an outdated google search then they are not obliged to honour the deal as their website has been updated and you chose to search for the deal via the search engine.
Unfortunately as long as they are not making misleading comments about the product any shop or online trader can choose to not sell to anyone without reason.
pricesavvy1 h, 5 m ago

From my understanding and past experience in store colleagues are not …From my understanding and past experience in store colleagues are not obliged to honour the any errors or deals online. Due to the Term and Conditions online. As you have stated that it was a deal you saw online and was told by an operator over the phone it was due to change. You should have at this point asked to speak to a Manager to have the deal honoured. They would honour it if it was online. The only times where they wouldn’t honour it is if you searched via google and it picked up the deals from an outdated google search then they are not obliged to honour the deal as their website has been updated and you chose to search for the deal via the search engine.

It’s live online now and the online sales team will not honour it
mrty1 h, 16 m ago

Unfortunately as long as they are not making misleading comments about the …Unfortunately as long as they are not making misleading comments about the product any shop or online trader can choose to not sell to anyone without reason.

Surely the deal is misleading as they will not let anyone take it out but are still advertising it
jamierichardson12930 m ago

It’s live online now and the online sales team will not honour it

What network? I cannot seem to find it. However there are far much better deals on thier website for iPhone 6 with more data no upfront cost for less than £30 per month. It all depends on the network.
pricesavvy3 m ago

What network? I cannot seem to find it. However there are far much better …What network? I cannot seem to find it. However there are far much better deals on thier website for iPhone 6 with more data no upfront cost for less than £30 per month. It all depends on the network.

It’s only £23 on ee
Is it an upgrade? I can only find that tariff on an EE upgrade
carphonewarehouse.com/mob…tml

You can get the same tariff non-upgrade from mobiles.co.uk (same company as CPW) 2GB on EE for £23 with no upfront or with 4GB data for same price on Vodafone. Plus £30 cashback from topcashback, just clear cookies before proceeding.

I use phoneslimited when I look for mobiles offers.
phonesltd.co.uk/App…hly
The advert is only an invitation to treat and will state subject to availability in small print at bottom. As long as they had some to sell at some point when the advert was made they have done nothing wrong.
mug516 h, 18 m ago

Is it an upgrade? I can only find that tariff on an EE upgrade …Is it an upgrade? I can only find that tariff on an EE upgrade https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly-tariff.html#!/t_network/EE/sort/relevance/tab/upgrade/model/APPIPH632SGYou can get the same tariff non-upgrade from mobiles.co.uk (same company as CPW) 2GB on EE for £23 with no upfront or with 4GB data for same price on Vodafone. Plus £30 cashback from topcashback, just clear cookies before proceeding.I use phoneslimited when I look for mobiles offers.http://www.phonesltd.co.uk/Apple/iPhone_6_32GB_Deals/?data=2000&handsetcost=50&sort=monthly

Sorry yes it’s an uggrade
cmdr_elito1 h, 21 m ago

The advert is only an invitation to treat and will state subject to …The advert is only an invitation to treat and will state subject to availability in small print at bottom. As long as they had some to sell at some point when the advert was made they have done nothing wrong.

They still have the handset in stock online
mug516 h, 22 m ago

Is it an upgrade? I can only find that tariff on an EE upgrade …Is it an upgrade? I can only find that tariff on an EE upgrade https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly-tariff.html#!/t_network/EE/sort/relevance/tab/upgrade/model/APPIPH632SGYou can get the same tariff non-upgrade from mobiles.co.uk (same company as CPW) 2GB on EE for £23 with no upfront or with 4GB data for same price on Vodafone. Plus £30 cashback from topcashback, just clear cookies before proceeding.I use phoneslimited when I look for mobiles offers.http://www.phonesltd.co.uk/Apple/iPhone_6_32GB_Deals/?data=2000&handsetcost=50&sort=monthly

Thanks for the heads up, she just wanted to keep the same number. The phones in stock and the deals still live now.
She can keep the same number ;). Get a pac code, transfer her number to another network PAYG sim, then get another pac code and transfer it to your new contract.
She just didn’t want to have to do that,she’s 68 and struggles with things like this
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone, it’s great to be able to get advice from a great community like this
jamierichardson12912 h, 0 m ago

They still have the handset in stock online

Well then you have the option to order it online. Online sides of retail businesses are often operated separately with different supply chains.
cmdr_elito3 h, 28 m ago

Well then you have the option to order it online. Online sides of retail …Well then you have the option to order it online. Online sides of retail businesses are often operated separately with different supply chains.

That’s the point, it’s in stock online but they won’t let you order it online
jamierichardson1297 h, 6 m ago

That’s the point, it’s in stock online but they won’t let you order it onli …That’s the point, it’s in stock online but they won’t let you order it online

Well then the stock levels may be the issue (incorrect) or credit checks are the issue (subject to status).
cmdr_elito8 h, 12 m ago

Well then the stock levels may be the issue (incorrect) or credit checks …Well then the stock levels may be the issue (incorrect) or credit checks are the issue (subject to status).

Nope it’s in stock and the credit checks weren’t an issue. She’s had the same deal on a new contract as opposed to an upgrade. They will just not do that deal on upgrade even though that’s what is being advertised
jamierichardson1293 h, 32 m ago

Nope it’s in stock and the credit checks weren’t an issue. She’s had the sa …Nope it’s in stock and the credit checks weren’t an issue. She’s had the same deal on a new contract as opposed to an upgrade. They will just not do that deal on upgrade even though that’s what is being advertised

Well there must be reasons for it.
cmdr_elito3 h, 26 m ago

Well there must be reasons for it.

Yep Carphone have dropped a b*****k
jamierichardson12952 m ago

Yep Carphone have dropped a b*****k

You just ask them for the PAC code. They then a brick and offer a retention deal. Odds on better than the upgrade option.
If they ask why, quote one of the deals above that you prefer. Only if prompted though let them come up with a better deal and say sorry I saw X had a better offer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions