Groups

Advice on movie downloads

What's the best format to download them in if I want to burn them to dvd? Plus what resolution should I look for to play on my 37" TV? Theres pages and pages of links for certain films but I'm not sure what one to go for.

16 Comments

AVI, Divx etc can easily be converted with little loss of quality, ISO.

ISO's probably best if it's a direct DVD disc image.

convertXtodvd will convert anything to DVD so i wouldn't worry.

Although if you have a DVD player that plays DivX go for that as it's quicker to burn, and you can get more discs, or even better use something like an xbox360 to stream it to, no need to burn disks

Original Poster

shauneco;6168874

AVI, Divx etc can easily be converted with little loss of quality, … AVI, Divx etc can easily be converted with little loss of quality, ISO.ISO's probably best if it's a direct DVD disc image.

what's a direct dvd disc image? Also what resolution should I look for?

Original Poster

sancho1983;6168883

convertXtodvd will convert anything to DVD so i wouldn't worry.Although … convertXtodvd will convert anything to DVD so i wouldn't worry.Although if you have a DVD player that plays DivX go for that as it's quicker to burn, and you can get more discs, or even better use something like an xbox360 to stream it to, no need to burn disks

I downloaded a file that turned out to be a mkv file and I can't find any program at all to convert it so that's why I'm asking the best ones to go for.

avi.divx/xvid-then convert to dvd with a proggy like vso convertx2dvd,alternatively buy a cheap dvd player that plays divx,burn it as a data disc and watch without converting.

some divx dvd players even have a usb input so you can just copy the downloaded files to a memory stick and watch on tv.

mkv is a HD rip, well it's the container for it, i don't fully understand it tbh. convertXtodvd will convert mkv files though. Or if you have a PS3 that will stream it, or a Popcorn hour WDTV etc.

for PC playback download and install the klite pack, most 37" lcds are 1366x768(a few differ so check your manual)
    if your machine is hooked up set your desktop res to that and the codecs will do the rest

xxnic0laxx;6168890

what's a direct dvd disc image? Also what resolution should I look for?

It's basically a direct copy from the source but compressed into a single file, Most dvd burning software will do a direct burn from the image without the need to encode to dvd.

It's basically like doing a straight copy from dvd.

As for resolution, If the source is a dvd then it should be pretty standard resolution.

Problem with ISO is the size of the image.

Divx for example can fit a dvd into around 700-800MB with little loss of quality.

Banned

hope you bought and paid for your download legally.............

Original Poster

maddogb;6168980

for PC playback download and install the klite pack, most 37" lcds are … for PC playback download and install the klite pack, most 37" lcds are 1366x768(a few differ so check your manual) if your machine is hooked up set your desktop res to that and the codecs will do the rest

Well the mkv I downloaded is 720 by something or other but if I hook up my mac to my tv wont it upscale it and make it look all pixellated?

Original Poster

dimebars;6168993

hope you bought and paid for your download legally.............

Of course

xxnic0laxx;6169001

Well the mkv I downloaded is 720 by something or other but if I hook up … Well the mkv I downloaded is 720 by something or other but if I hook up my mac to my tv wont it upscale it and make it look all pixellated?

sorry didn't realise it was a mac, think you might be a bit restricted there
    but no( on a pc anyway ) the image looks superb

If you want to know what resolution to play on your TV, it depends what the max res of your TV is.

Is it "HD Ready" - most likely 720p
    or is it "Full HD" - 1080p

If it is 720p, then anything up to 720, if its full then anything up to 1080 obviously.

But it depends how fast your downlaods are and how much space you have, a 1080 film can be like 8GB.

So it depends on your internet speed, storage available, and how good you want it to look!

Original Poster

Luke Hero;6169043

If you want to know what resolution to play on your TV, it depends what … If you want to know what resolution to play on your TV, it depends what the max res of your TV is.Is it "HD Ready" - most likely 720por is it "Full HD" - 1080pIf it is 720p, then anything up to 720, if its full then anything up to 1080 obviously.But it depends how fast your downlaods are and how much space you have, a 1080 film can be like 8GB.So it depends on your internet speed, storage available, and how good you want it to look!

So when it said 720 by whatever, is that not 720 pixels? Because I thought thats what it was so all the films were therefore tiny and for watching on a laptop?

xxnic0laxx;6169073

So when it said 720 by whatever, is that not 720 pixels? Because I … So when it said 720 by whatever, is that not 720 pixels? Because I thought thats what it was so all the films were therefore tiny and for watching on a laptop?

the term 720p or 1080p is the measurement of the horizontal lines so
    horiz. x vertical
    720 x 1280
    1080 X 1920

as i said most sets panels of tis size are actually 1366x768 so there is upscaling done on 720p content by the tv, i generally find it is better to have the set running at its native panel res and use the pc to do the upscaling where ii have much better control.

edit oh and 8GB is a small 1080p film, most are 12-15GB some can hit 18-19GB

The resolution doesn't matter all that much, as your dvd player/tv will scale the image to fit the screen.

The problem here is that you've not said what you intend to play the file through, as when you convert a .mkv file, you will need to change it to something like .mpg format (I used mkv2vob).

Be back later - heading for dinner.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635
      2. What is there free to do in your town?25
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …278965
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020

See more discussions