Groups

Advice on my neighbours - what do you think?

I moved into a private rented house back in July. Its a newish build and is a terraced (middle). I am happy here and so is my daughter. However, the stupid neighbours causing me aggro! They have been round once and now put a letter through my door about the "noise" I am apparently making.

This "noise" they inform me is me slamming cupboard doors, me in the kitchen putting stuff away, me slamming front door and they have complained that I make too much noise when we get up and when I got to bed. I think I am very considerate neighbour and dont play loud music and dont do anything which I consider to be an annoyance to the neighbours and I just go about my daily life at home.

Their stupid letter was dropped through my door the other night, at about 10pm. I am incredibly angry as I dont think I make much noise and complaing that when I was cooking the dinner the other night - their letter said it was a "continual distrubance!!!". To be honest I think they are really pathetic, as when the man who lives next door came round before to complain he said that past tenants had made too much noise too. I think its them, being really pathetic and fussy. I dont slam and bang around the house as they suggest.

I work in a legal environment and I know there is nothing they can do as the council would probably tell them to do one, but I am just so angry!]

Edit - I dont hear much from them. Just the odd noise and I dont think the walls are as bad as the neighbour suggests as they say the soundproofing really bad. I dont think it is

47 Comments

Sounds like the build of the house is not every noise proof. I'd ignore them. If you know your not making noise.

You could just be quieter in the kitchen as that sounds like their biggest issue.

Original Poster

gary_rip;6495978

You could just be quieter in the kitchen as that sounds like their … You could just be quieter in the kitchen as that sounds like their biggest issue.

I dont think I can! I dont slam cupboards anyway!

put some loud music on while your in the kitchen so he cant here the cupboards.

Original Poster

landofdan;6496010

put some loud music on while your in the kitchen so he cant here the … put some loud music on while your in the kitchen so he cant here the cupboards.

haha - think I might do!

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6495999

I dont think I can! I dont slam cupboards anyway!

tell em to turn the hearing aids down, and stop being so damn nosey :thumbsup:

landofdan;6496010

put some loud music on while your in the kitchen so he cant here the … put some loud music on while your in the kitchen so he cant here the cupboards.

lol

Banned

Play this really loud at them, give them summit to talk about :lol:

youtube.com/wat…aeE

Original Poster

sculpturatus;6496060

Play this really loud at them, give them summit to talk about … Play this really loud at them, give them summit to talk about :lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bsf2x-aeE

hahaha - when he first came round I thought he was going to mention that he heard the noise in my bedroom from when my bf comes over!!! :oops:

I think you sholud make some more....then when they come around...say THIS is real NOISE

or even leave home....leave the music on loud and....if they complain...say it must have come on itself

Banned

maybe you dont hear them because they are considerate of what they can hear, you say "i think" alot, so maybe you do make more noise than you think, just a thought

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6496067

hahaha - when he first came round I thought he was going to mention that … hahaha - when he first came round I thought he was going to mention that he heard the noise in my bedroom from when my bf comes over!!! :oops:

they probably dont mind that noise ;-)

id go down and speak to them - amicably (not suggesting that you wouldnt)
    ive had a couple of neighbours that started out as pains. Once id spoken to them a few times - got up a repor, they seem to stop whinging, i think probably because the less you know a person, the easier it is to be a jerk, and make up in your head that theyre upstairs stomping their feet on purpose

Notes and complaints are no way to clear up a problem - i hate it when people do that. It is pathetic.
    Explain to them that you dont slam anything and that if they have a problem - they should speak to the landlord themselves about better soundproofing, as its obviously not your problem.

could get some of those little rubber stick-on blobs that go on the cupboard carcase to reduce noise, to make it look like your making an effort with the kitchen sounds and then play the harry met sally clip every night on loop for an hour until they mention that and tell them they should try having sex its rather hard to not make noise when its good

Does your cupboard doors have little rubber pads on them to dampen the noise? Most cupboard doors are fitted with them but the fitters may have missed them offf...........

As Narfette says try talking to them........

Banned

Narfette;6496120

id go down and speak to them - amicably (not suggesting that you wouldnt) … id go down and speak to them - amicably (not suggesting that you wouldnt) ive had a couple of neighbours that started out as pains. Once id spoken to them a few times - got up a repor, they seem to stop whinging, i think probably because the less you know a person, the easier it is to be a jerk, and make up in your head that theyre upstairs stomping their feet on purposeNotes and complaints are no way to clear up a problem - i hate it when people do that. It is pathetic.Explain to them that you dont slam anything and that if they have a problem - they should speak to the landlord themselves about better soundproofing, as its obviously not your problem.

very good advice :thumbsup: sometimes the best method to diffuse a situation is to face it head on, with all the intention of building a strong relationship/friendship :thumbsup:

Can you not get little sticky rubber things to put on the inside of the doors to stop them banging.

If you do this and they still complain then they are just being petty.

Original Poster

sassie;6496075

maybe you dont hear them because they are considerate of what they can … maybe you dont hear them because they are considerate of what they can hear, you say "i think" alot, so maybe you do make more noise than you think, just a thought

No they do make noise, I hear their washing machine for example. But it doesnt bother me, its normal. They speak in their letter of the intolerable and strssful noise. There is no constant banging and slamming that they suggest. Me and my daughter get up, have shower,s have breakfast and go out. There is not slamming or banging. Also cooking dinner is not a continual distrubance as they suggest.

Narfette;6496120

id go down and speak to them - amicably (not suggesting that you wouldnt) … id go down and speak to them - amicably (not suggesting that you wouldnt) ive had a couple of neighbours that started out as pains. Once id spoken to them a few times - got up a repor, they seem to stop whinging, i think probably because the less you know a person, the easier it is to be a jerk, and make up in your head that theyre upstairs stomping their feet on purposeNotes and complaints are no way to clear up a problem - i hate it when people do that. It is pathetic.Explain to them that you dont slam anything and that if they have a problem - they should speak to the landlord themselves about better soundproofing, as its obviously not your problem.

100% agree couldn't have said it better:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Narfette;6496120

Could not agree more - pathetic notes!

Chuckles1001;6496136

could get some of those little rubber stick-on blobs that go on the … could get some of those little rubber stick-on blobs that go on the cupboard carcase to reduce noise, to make it look like your making an effort with the kitchen sounds and then play the harry met sally clip every night on loop for an hour until they mention that and tell them they should try having sex its rather hard to not make noise when its good

I could get those pads but they complain I make too much noise all time, just walking around house. Apparently when I get in bed (all I do is go to loo, brush teeth and get in bed!) they say I make too much noise. Seems to me they like complaining

Sounds like your walls are made of paper. Think that is the problem really.

Original Poster

greg_68;6496247

Sounds like your walls are made of paper. Think that is the problem … Sounds like your walls are made of paper. Think that is the problem really.

possibly - but I dont hear them talking or anything which I did in my last place I lived.

Ive had neighbors like these & talking to them will do you no good, they probably spend all day listening for things to complain about.
    Just go about your business & ignore them :thumbsup:

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6496266

possibly - but I dont hear them talking or anything which I did in my … possibly - but I dont hear them talking or anything which I did in my last place I lived.

if they married, they probabloy dont - pmsl

Original Poster

:thumbsup:

sassie;6496277

if they married, they probabloy dont - pmsl

hahahahahaha - good comment Sassie!

It could be a lot worse, they could be noisy neighbours, where I used to live they used to put the stereo on really loud and then go out leaving the music on full blast just to annoy everyone in the street! I would go round like the other person said and try to have a amicable conversation with them, explaining that you don't think that they are justified in what they are saying and the problems being caused are due to the build of the house in which case they should get in touch with the council and complain to them and stop harassing you. If that doesn't work and they still keep harassing you like this I'd be tempted to let them know just how bad it could be and just let loose and and take it to extremes and make one hell of a racket, they will then quickly start to regret annoying you in the first place and wish that they could go back in time and not say a jot!

Banned

bargainhunter2009;6496266

possibly - but I dont hear them talking or anything which I did in my … possibly - but I dont hear them talking or anything which I did in my last place I lived.

live in 1930's house with really thick walls but can hear their microwave every night, when their baby is crying and when they have loads of friends round in the living room. There are old pipes connecting the house which allow sound to travel around. It's barely audible but they hear us at it when in bed.

Also you might consider these for your cupboard much better than those rubber buttons

wickes.co.uk/Kit…425
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/145425/145425-ab0-00_full.jpg

Original Poster

lumoruk;6496699

live in 1930's house with really thick walls but can hear their microwave … live in 1930's house with really thick walls but can hear their microwave every night, when their baby is crying and when they have loads of friends round in the living room. There are old pipes connecting the house which allow sound to travel around. It's barely audible but they hear us at it when in bed.Also you might consider these for your cupboard much better than those rubber buttonshttp://www.wickes.co.uk/Kitchen-Soft-Close-Buffer/invt/145425

Thanks, dont think cupboards really "bang anyway". The kitchen is cheap wood and doors flimsy. I wont be spending money on catches or stoppers unless the neighbours buy them for me!

the usual baseball bat does the trick hope that helps

ignore them. I had the same with my neighbour when I moved in, my daughter was young then (under 2 then went onto the terrible twos) We also live in a terraced, and our living room is right next to hers and we have wooden flooring. She used to moan that my daughter was making too much noise (she was only doing what any normal 2 year old does). She used to come round and moan every now and then.

The neighbours on the other side used to bang on the walls, when she was playing running with her toys etc.

Its really hard with a terraced house and especially when you have children.

almost 3 years on, they never say or do anything.

Hope they back off and leave you alone.

bargainhunter2009;6496193

No they do make noise, I hear their washing machine for example. But it … No they do make noise, I hear their washing machine for example. But it doesnt bother me, its normal. They speak in their letter of the intolerable and strssful noise. There is no constant banging and slamming that they suggest. Me and my daughter get up, have shower,s have breakfast and go out. There is not slamming or banging. Also cooking dinner is not a continual distrubance as they suggest.

do they have children?

Original Poster

4lyons09;6497211

do they have children?

NO they are a couple in their thirties. He works shifts so I think they get annoyed if any noise made during day as well which isn tmy problem! Thanks for the advice

bargainhunter2009;6497246

NO they are a couple in their thirties. He works shifts so I think they … NO they are a couple in their thirties. He works shifts so I think they get annoyed if any noise made during day as well which isn tmy problem! Thanks for the advice

My neighbours dont have children either, I dont think they were aware that kids play,run,have tantrums etc.

More than likely they will just leave it soon, my neighbours just put up with us now :whistling:

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

4lyons09;6497276

My neighbours dont have children either, I dont think they were aware … My neighbours dont have children either, I dont think they were aware that kids play,run,have tantrums etc.More than likely they will just leave it soon, my neighbours just put up with us now :whistling: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I hope they get lost and leave us alone! Lol the letter the sent me is hilarious really

bargainhunter2009;6497246

NO they are a couple in their thirties. He works shifts so I think they … NO they are a couple in their thirties. He works shifts so I think they get annoyed if any noise made during day as well which isn tmy problem! Thanks for the advice

it sounds like they're used to quiet hun, when you have children your tolerance levels for noise rise quickly... lol

bargainhunter2009;6497287

Thanks, I hope they get lost and leave us alone! Lol the letter the sent … Thanks, I hope they get lost and leave us alone! Lol the letter the sent me is hilarious really

what did they put hun?

sorry if you've already said, I havent had time to read all the way through yet x

ClarityofMind;6497302

it sounds like they're used to quiet hun, when you have children your … it sounds like they're used to quiet hun, when you have children your tolerance levels for noise rise quickly... lol

+1 totally agree.

But gosh when I get peace I make the most of it :-D

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6497314

what did they put hun?sorry if you've already said, I havent had time to … what did they put hun?sorry if you've already said, I havent had time to read all the way through yet x

Thats ok, they just moaning - a lot! They talk of "the intolerable noise" which is stressful and annoying etc. They say i make too much noise closing kitchen cupboards and getting up and going to bed. They said when I was cooking dinner the other day it was a "continual disturbance". Three quarters of a page typed up moaning!

bargainhunter2009;6497332

They talk of "the intolerable noise" which is stressful and annoying etc. … They talk of "the intolerable noise" which is stressful and annoying etc. They say i make too much noise closing kitchen cupboards and getting up and going to bed. They said when I was cooking dinner the other day it was a "continual disturbance". Three quarters of a page typed up moaning!

How can cooking a meal be a continual disturbance? It hardly takes a full day just to cook dinner?

Perhaps they're just very intolerant hun xx

The wise thing to do would be to go speak to them and see if you can diffuse the situation at all...

.. but personally I'd perfectly understand if you felt the need to slam a few cupboard doors once their lights go out tonight :giggle:

to be fair....if ur gonna live in a terrace property then u gotta expect a bit of noise. Sounds to me like it's just normal every day noise...they'll have to get used to it!! I live in a semi and b4 my neighbour moved in we had an old man living there...we never heard him at all. Now though we have a family of 4 so the comparison between them is quite big.....but still, I don't complain and it doesn't really bother me as I know that it is expected!! Slightly different to if ur playing loud music all the time or shouting around the house all day! :thumbsup:
    I would have to go and speak to them though....tell them, they are being unreasonable! ;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944513
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047127
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1024
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.68

See more discussions