Advice on painting a wooden fireplace surround in my flat...

Found 15th May 2012
Hey guys, I am sure there's quite a few diy'ers amongst all you HUKD'ers. Just needed to pick your brains on how to paint an old (disconnected) wooded fireplace surround.

Just wanted to know whats the best procedure to follow interms of type paint/s to use etc.

All your advice will be much appreciated, thanking you in advance guys!!!
Community Updates
12 Comments
Original Poster
This is the wooden fireplace surround I am talking about guy...
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz334/rimz790/IMAG0105.jpg
sorry not the best quality of picture
Edited by: "rimz790" 15th May 2012
I know WIHAD is working her way through her book. She said she has covered varnishing but made no mention of painting.

I would make sure the surface is clean, sand it down. Then prime with undercoat before coating with the finish of your choice. Some sort of gloss paint
If your wanting to paint it this is what i would do

1) sand it down predy for prime.
2) wipe it down properly with a damp cloth
3) use a put down a base coat
4) put down the proper colour/paint you want
5) give it a light sand
6) put down second coat
7) crack open a bottle of beer

try the above but not before youve had clearance from WIHAD
Banned
If that is varnished it won't stripping with something like nitromors.

once the wood is prepared I'd use a quick drying satin wood paint as you don't need to use a primer with most satin wood paints.
Rupz

If your wanting to paint it this is what i would do 1) sand it down predy … If your wanting to paint it this is what i would do 1) sand it down predy for prime.2) wipe it down properly with a damp cloth3) use a put down a base coat 4) put down the proper colour/paint you want5) give it a light sand6) put down second coat7) crack open a bottle of beertry the above but not before youve had clearance from WIHAD

X)

I think she may be seeking advice for you from the man at B&Q. I am sure she will be along in a while
Mod & Ed
WoolyM

X)I think she may be seeking advice for you from the man at B&Q. I am … X)I think she may be seeking advice for you from the man at B&Q. I am sure she will be along in a while

I am here, I'm just perusing the tome so I give a proper reply
slamdunkin

If that is varnished it won't stripping with something like … If that is varnished it won't stripping with something like nitromors.once the wood is prepared I'd use a quick drying satin wood paint as you don't need to use a primer with most satin wood paints.

I was trying the remember that name. Not as much sheen as gloss. Preferred by many
Mod & Ed
aha,

ok op, you need to sugar soap the surface, give it a quick sand over with a fine grade sand paper, then I would recommend using this product here wait ti dry & then paint with the colour of your choice, I haven't done different types of paint yet ie gloss / matt but I prefer matt to shiny
My wooden fireplace was the same colour as yours. I agree as above re the preparation. For the colour, I took the dulux colour chart to the fireplaces instore, matched the colour I liked and used satin wood paint. I also painted the overmantel mirror frame with the same paint and both look lovely.
Sand it & varnish it

Don't paint it, it looks fine as it is.
Original Poster
Thank you for your comments guys, looks like I have to get geared up on my days off from work and get down to sorting out the surround
Edited by: "rimz790" 15th May 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions