Groups

Advice on poster needed ----- UPDATE ON POST 30

Hi, i am trying to design a poster for computers, but i never was great at graphic design, so i was just wondering how people thought that this looked.

NUMBER REMOVED TO AVOID SELF PROMOTION

37 Comments

Original Poster

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/317/testtv9.jpg

Banned

Too cluttered, too cheap looking, you can't use those logo's without written permission, formatting is a mess, company name doesn't relate to computers. Overall I think.....

....YOU ARE FIRED!!!

Original Poster

lumoruk;3143377

Too cluttered, too cheap looking

That's what i thought, but i'm really struggling to get the information on there without too much text.

I think the design at the moment is better for a flyer

i agree - less is more

lumoruk;3143377

Too cluttered, too cheap looking, you can't use those logo's without … Too cluttered, too cheap looking, you can't use those logo's without written permission, formatting is a mess, company name doesn't relate to computers. Overall I think.........YOU ARE FIRED!!!

What he said

Sorry mate but it is a mess, if that come through my door i'd bin it straight away

Original Poster

Should i drop the upgrades and repairs, and slot another pc in the gap.

Or maybe just drop the repairs and only have the upgrades?

What is the poster advertising? upgrades and repairs or to sell machines?
    you need to focus on the most important message that you want to convey and redesign around this

Original Poster

adofant;3143417

What is the poster advertising? upgrades and repairs or to sell … What is the poster advertising? upgrades and repairs or to sell machines?you need to focus on the most important message that you want to convey and redesign around this

I want to try and get both on there, but as people have said, it's a little crowded. I would like to stick to the selling side, but there's also money to be made on repairs, especially in this climate

peodude;3143410

Should i drop the upgrades and repairs, and slot another pc in the gap.Or … Should i drop the upgrades and repairs, and slot another pc in the gap.Or maybe just drop the repairs and only have the upgrades?

Looks like my view was thought out as I was typing my advice!

What size Poster? and where is it being positioned? can you not design 2 seperate posters for each side of the business?
    If you are limited to the 1 poster...divide it into 2 and keep the selling seperate to the repair

Original Poster

adofant;3143466

What size Poster? and where is it being positioned? can you not design 2 … What size Poster? and where is it being positioned? can you not design 2 seperate posters for each side of the business?If you are limited to the 1 poster...divide it into 2 and keep the selling seperate to the repair

Poster is printed on 8 x 12 photo paper, which for perspective is as near as damnit A4. Not 100% sure if (basically) A5 (half and half) will be big enough.

The bigger size photo up increase the cost 5x, from £1.10 to £5 odd

£50 for a DVD drive:|?

pwauk.com/pos…tml £17 for A1.......cant be bad!...gives you more room to design on and a better result.....however..this is a almost a proportional scale of your current design...so needs re working before you get near this stage

You forgot to include the company address, email and phone number! Free Plug on the forum! lol :-D

I thought that is pretty good :?

I don't like the way the white dots are spaced in both your black boxes.
    Also, the black box on the right, you have "DVD-RW" and "CDRW". Either give them both a hyphen or neither of them a hyphen.
    Underneath your phone number you start with "All our PC's are sold installed with Ubuntu..." The apostrophe should not be there. :thumbsup:

StevenA2000_uk;3143656

You forgot to include the company address, email and phone number! Free … You forgot to include the company address, email and phone number! Free Plug on the forum! lol :-D

It's against the rules.
    Re-read the OP. :thumbsup:

Banned

dean3988;3143689

I thought that is pretty good :?

When you leave McDonald's, you'll see it for all the ****-ness that it is

lumoruk;3143699

agreed, cheap and nasty looking, expensive and the same price and PC WORLD.

look at websites alreayd selling this kidna stuff and get ideas off that.

Banned

sorry OP I'm not having a personal attack on you, it's a valiant attempt but do try again

lumoruk;3143699

right, im getting tired of all this mcdonalds stuff now, so what I have a ****ing job, calm down. even if it is at mcdonalds its a good place to start off and gain experiance and to earn some extra money while I am at college so no more jokes please

Banned

dean3988;3143746

right, im getting tired of all this mcdonalds stuff now, so what I have a … right, im getting tired of all this mcdonalds stuff now, so what I have a ****ing job, calm down. even if it is at mcdonalds its a good place to start off and gain experiance and to earn some extra money while I am at college so no more jokes please

...and he snaps :whistling:

lumoruk;3143764

got that right, not exactly one of my best days today

lumoruk;3143764

sorry, just peed off today, dont mind the jokes, keep joking :thumbsup:

just not today

Banned

dean3988;3143774

sorry, just peed off today, dont mind the jokes, keep joking … sorry, just peed off today, dont mind the jokes, keep joking :thumbsup:just not today

If no one pokes fun you won't have the enthusiasm to better yourself, at least you're still at college I quit after 1yr 9 months into my 2yr Advanced Business GNVQ, dumb smuck that I was, should have saw it through.

.... of course I won't add after I quit I had some of the best memories, went off abroad for a 5 weeks lived off my folks then working at Tesco (very flexible with working hours) so could enjoy weekends and nights out with mates. Now in a lifer job (boring as hell)

For me - the whole layout is slightly confusing and too cluttered. Also the fonts are mismatched (sans-serif and serif). Try picking a good impacting font for all of the headers, and use something like Tahoma for the copy text. This will make the design more uniform and up-to-date.

Ditch the logos, unless you have permission to use them. Go careful with images as you could find yoursefl in a spot of bother. Find some good stock imagery (istockphoto.com is a good starting point and not that expensive). Also remember to reflect the pc in the 2nd image (looks good at the top).

I'd move the company details to the top left, and maybe change the background of the text boxes to a lighter colour. At the minute they are dominating.

Have a look at your company logo and see if it has the impact you want customers to see. Think about renaming it. EZ productions sounds a bit like a touring theatre company. Use a better font than Times New Roman. Try creating or sourcing a logo to go with it. It will look 10 times more professional.

Not because they are good but take a look at Dell flyers. They get so much information onto a small space and it might give you some inspiration.

Have fun and let us see the updates!

For a start: Line stuff up.

Get some strong vertical lines on there, the edge of the top black box and the ends of the line below should line up, as should the celeron and vista logos and the text (which should be left-aligned) on the other side.

Set all the rest of the body text back to left aligned too, the centering just makes it look like someone couldn't keep the start of their lines in the same place.

The staggered 'upgrade' bullet points don't look too bad on their own but they don't work at all well in context. If you could somehow move them to the bottom of the page and match them with a similar slant on the other side it might work better.

Obviously, set the spec bullet points back to left align.

I think you've got about the right amount of information on there, you just need to tweak the alignment, fonts, layout etc. to get it looking more professional.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help guys and gals, i'll take your advice on board, brush it up and come back tomorrow with an improved article :thumbsup:

Original Poster

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1552/testiq8.jpg

Is that legit XP and VIsta you have?

Original Poster

A legit XP and Vista is sold for an additional £75 as shown on the left, yes :thumbsup:

It's so tempting to put pirate on, but unfortunately, we can't :x

Why does it have to be so expensive :viking:

I'd line up the start of the phone number with the start of the lines above and below as it's noticibly off, and put some white space in between the two specs on the left (the pictures make them seem like two different PCs but the single box makes it seem like two different options for the same PC).

Apart from that the specs look a little messy, perhaps shrinking them so you've only got one bullet point per line would be better? A name/title for each pc would be a nice idea too (depicting the PC's most important point like 'silent' or 'budget' and giving the customer an easy reference when they come in to ask about it) and would take up some of the space gained by shrinking.

The top left quadrant? The phone number is the biggest and most important thing on there? Should this be the case? Are the customers interested in what the phone number is? I would shink it, it does need to be in clear space and big enough to be readable so customers can easily find it once they've picked the phone up but you're not trying to tempt the customer with the beauty of your phone number,

Perhaps you could try staggering the two bottom elements in that quadrant, push the two operating systems to the left and have the 'for just £75' on the right, that way it'll better match the pushed to the corner look of the processor logos

Also, try and see if you can get the blue that has the specs in to blend in with the background

dont use gradiants like that is still looks naff! - When you're selling remember to KISS ( Keep it short and simple)

That to me is overload and i lose all interest. PRICE is your selling point Make it stand out. Put a spanky star behind all the prices make them stand out. When selling use impulse to attract your client greed is the main one, use words like BIG REDUCTIONS THROUGH OUT!!!! SAVING, MONEY OFF. Anything to do with money. then sense of urgency make them think they need it now. THIS WEEK ONLY, LIMITED TIME OFFER!

Stuff like that get a logo too something catchy and smaller.

also EZ production is a bad name, sounds like you produce something like films or theatre. Change it to something that fits what you're selling.

EZ Computers
    EZ Systems
    EZ Builds

REDRANGER86;3159709

, use words like BIG REDUCTIONS THROUGH OUT!!!! SAVING, MONEY OFF. … , use words like BIG REDUCTIONS THROUGH OUT!!!! SAVING, MONEY OFF. Anything to do with money. then sense of urgency make them think they need it now. THIS WEEK ONLY, LIMITED TIME OFFER!

Just my personal view, but i dont agree with this. It will probably just make the flyer look cheap and reflect badly on the company. Think about what junk you get through the door. The ones you read tend to be profressional looking, and the bargain madness flyers go straight in the bin.

If the prices are good, they will stand up. Sure think about a good offer. Apple sell more computers based on the fact students get a free ipod for a certain amount of time.

It's still not there though. Deffo change the name and add a logo.

Original Poster

The name and site were buikt in preparation for web design

[url]www.ezproductions.co.uk[/url]

unfortunately, my web design skills are still a little rough round the edges at the moment, so i am using the company to sell computers.

I will look into changing the name though, and having separate linked names, like Virgin Media and Virgin Airways
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.513
      2. One for the mathmeticians2539
      3. Cat Chat77744
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047177

See more discussions