Groups

Advice on Skype

Is there a maximum video resolution it can broadcast at? i.e. is it worth buying a really good webcam?

Or does anyone know of a good webcam for this type of thing?

Thanks guys

2 Comments

As far as I'm aware any video broadcasting will be dependent on the sender/receivers internet speed and not the actual Skype program. So the higher the broadband speed of the caller and receiver then the higher the resolution that will be able to be used.

However, the only caveat to this is the method in which Skype sends/receives data. It is a Peer to Peer program which means that it can route the data through computers that have a lower speed than the sender/receiver so there could be intermittent staggering of images on the cam. Whether there are any settings in the Skype software to handle this then I'm not sure but personally, I've never really had any issues with it and Skype are in the process of improving the network performance, so unless its really high-res images then you should be okay.

With regards to webcam I'd go for anything over 1MP. Cheers.

Sky says it's 'high quality' mode is ]640x480 which is 0.3 mega pixels, however it is at 30fps which not all 0.3 megapixel webcams will do.

Megapixels refers to the size of the image rather than the quality, 1.3 megapixels is enough to fill a 19" monitor, while a 24" is 2.3 megapixels. Higher megapixel webcams can of course produce smaller video.

EDIT: Looking through skype's site they appear to have some sort of deal with logitech for 'high' quality video, but whether this is just advertising or whether they've crippled the program when used with other webcams I can't tell from there.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service1823
      2. Iphone 7 - What Case?616
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??44
      4. Large card print/poster..11

See more discussions