Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Advice on the best gaming headset for my 6 year old?

Expert (Beta)29
Posted 1st May
My little boys school friends play mine craft on the PS4, so obviously my boy now wants to follow suit, they chat whilst online as well, and I was wondering if the wonderful hukd users had any advice for me for the best, but minimal budget headset for kids available please?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all replies
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
Turtle beach ones imo are best bang for buck. I don't use PS4 I'm a Xbox guy but I prefer the one ear headsets on Xbox this just puts the chat through not game sounds which stay on the TV. But others like full headset so the TV can be muted.
Edited by: "chris_clark" 1st May
chris_clark01/05/2020 12:09

Turtle beach ones imo are best bang for buck. I don't use PS4 I'm a Xbox …Turtle beach ones imo are best bang for buck. I don't use PS4 I'm a Xbox guy but I prefer the one ear headsets on Xbox this just puts the chat through not game sounds which stay on the TV. But others like full headset so the TV can be muted.

Are there decent ones specifically for kids?
Argos have the HyperX Cloud Stinger PS4 edition for £35 which is good value and sound/mic are great at the price point. Same price at Amazon actually too.
Edited by: "soggydoggy" 1st May
soggydoggy01/05/2020 12:12

Argos have the HyperX Cloud Stinger PS4 edition for £35 which is good …Argos have the HyperX Cloud Stinger PS4 edition for £35 which is good value and sound/mic are great at the price point.

Are they for children, or does it not matter?
MrSwitch01/05/2020 12:12

Are they for children, or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter as such but they're resilient to a bit of less than gentle care which will save you buying another one in a month's time
If you get the likes of turtle beaches etc then the game sound comes through the headphones so can turn down the TV Volume,

scan.co.uk/pro…als

I got the set up from these and they are superb , although they are billed for Xbox it's only due to green branding (at one point Xbox headsets only had a strange USB port and not 3.5mm jack )
When you say headset, are you wanting the in game audio to go through it too, or just the chat audio and your lad uses the tv speakers for the game audio?
soggydoggy01/05/2020 12:12

Argos have the HyperX Cloud Stinger PS4 edition for £35 which is good …Argos have the HyperX Cloud Stinger PS4 edition for £35 which is good value and sound/mic are great at the price point. Same price at Amazon actually too.

Second this. Had couple of others before Inc Turtle Beach and didn't last. These have and are good quality, my lads just a bit older. Adjustable, so prob ok as long as his heads not fairly small. Volume adjuster and mic switch too. Got ours from GAME at £19.99, a price which seemed to hand around a good while and I think was posted on this site. Not sure of late.
Biddy201/05/2020 12:25

When you say headset, are you wanting the in game audio to go through it …When you say headset, are you wanting the in game audio to go through it too, or just the chat audio and your lad uses the tv speakers for the game audio?

Jeez. I'll say yes and no, I have zero idea
davabob01/05/2020 12:16

If you get the likes of turtle beaches etc then the game sound comes …If you get the likes of turtle beaches etc then the game sound comes through the headphones so can turn down the TV Volume, https://www.scan.co.uk/products/plantronics-rig-400hx-wired-gaming-headset-40mm-drivers-35mm-audio-jack-for-pc-xbox-one-console?utm_source=hotukdeals.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdealsI got the set up from these and they are superb , although they are billed for Xbox it's only due to green branding (at one point Xbox headsets only had a strange USB port and not 3.5mm jack )

Thank you!
Biddy201/05/2020 12:25

When you say headset, are you wanting the in game audio to go through it …When you say headset, are you wanting the in game audio to go through it too, or just the chat audio and your lad uses the tv speakers for the game audio?

Which is best?
I been trying to do the same thing. Plugged a normal pair of earphones is and it worked for my kid just to try out until I fine some head phones. Only issue is most of his mates use an xbox.
At 6 years old so long as they're not all distorted or cutting out I doubt he'll be too bothered. Unless you're looking for a better pair to pinch yourself
smythstoys.com/uk/…510

My son has had this headset a year now and they’re the best yet (also the cheapest!). Although they’re not in stock for delivery have a look at the photo and make sure you buy an adjustable headset (rigid ones are prone to break easily with mishandling and kids can be heavy handed). I wouldn’t spend too much either.
ChelseaRae01/05/2020 12:47

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/gaming-headsets/tx-40-stereo-gaming-and-go-universal-headset-copper/p/169510My son has had this headset a year now and they’re the best yet (also the cheapest!). Although they’re not in stock for delivery have a look at the photo and make sure you buy an adjustable headset (rigid ones are prone to break easily with mishandling and kids can be heavy handed). I wouldn’t spend too much either.

I'm not planning on it, he's 6 he can live with it.
MrSwitch01/05/2020 12:30

Which is best?

Well, on a medical level, it’s best to not use a headset for long periods of time as it can damage your hearing. They say you need to take a break every hour for at least 5 minutes.

On a “I want to keep an eye on what’s going on online” level with kids, a chat headset like this argos.co.uk/pro…573 helps in that you can have the voice chat through the TV.

I use the latter (I own that same headset too) because I can’t stand having the in-game audio and people’s chat in my ears at the same time (triggers my misophonia ). Plus I have a surround sound system so prefer that to in-game audio coming through a headset. I just have all chat audio coming through that headset I linked to.
Whoohoo01/05/2020 12:34

At 6 years old so long as they're not all distorted or cutting out I doubt …At 6 years old so long as they're not all distorted or cutting out I doubt he'll be too bothered. Unless you're looking for a better pair to pinch yourself

MrSwitch01/05/2020 12:10

Are there decent ones specifically for kids?

I thought the PS4 had headphones with mic in the box?
MrMaccieKFC01/05/2020 12:58

I thought the PS4 had headphones with mic in the box?

His didn't. Bought second hand.
My son has went through quite a few pair of headsets in the last 3 years due to them ending up breaking...faulty etc....the last pair he has now had for just over a year and still working perfect and lightweight for the head also...I wouldn’t spend too much on a pair for your boy if he’s only 6(y)

argos.co.uk/pro…571
Mich8ll801/05/2020 13:07

My son has went through quite a few pair of headsets in the last 3 years …My son has went through quite a few pair of headsets in the last 3 years due to them ending up breaking...faulty etc....the last pair he has now had for just over a year and still working perfect and lightweight for the head also...I wouldn’t spend too much on a pair for your boy if he’s only 6(y) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8658571

I bought these for my nephew at Xmas (6 year old) two weeks in and they suddenly stopped working, exchanged for same set and again few weeks in just died went turtle Beach instead

Not saying they are bad but had bad experience with them so wouldn't give them a look again
davabob01/05/2020 13:10

I bought these for my nephew at Xmas (6 year old) two weeks in and they …I bought these for my nephew at Xmas (6 year old) two weeks in and they suddenly stopped working, exchanged for same set and again few weeks in just died went turtle Beach instead Not saying they are bad but had bad experience with them so wouldn't give them a look again

Totally understand...I’m the same if I have a bad experience 2nd time around with the same make/model as I’ve experienced in the past with certain headsets....turtle beach is good though as my boy has a pair he keeps in his dads and has them for around 2 year now obviously there not used as much as the ones in my house;)
the best budget headset is without a doubt the hyper x stinger or cloud. the mic is a completely different level from any others and the build quality is better than the cheaper turtlebeach's.
My 10 year old loves my turtle beach headset so I got her another one in a different colour. Recon70 about £30 Argos amazon etc.
Thanks for all the advice, I've bought the hper x cloud stinger, and stealth conquerer, will return the one he doesn't like

Appreciate the suggestions you lovely lot
MrSwitch01/05/2020 13:36

Thanks for all the advice, I've bought the hper x cloud stinger, and …Thanks for all the advice, I've bought the hper x cloud stinger, and stealth conquerer, will return the one he doesn't like :SAppreciate the suggestions you lovely lot

Good choice, was reading through the comments and was about to suggest these. I got one for gaming and one for work. Very comfy and sound decent imho
Max-Power01/05/2020 14:11

Good choice, was reading through the comments and was about to suggest …Good choice, was reading through the comments and was about to suggest these. I got one for gaming and one for work. Very comfy and sound decent imho

Cool you've alleviated my stress
Biddy201/05/2020 13:21

It’s terrible quality anyway. Probably for the best.

I gave mine away to my Fortnite playing cousin who broke his a year ago, I’ve been using my Sony WH1000XM2 headphones for years via the headphone jack on my monitor and they are fantastic for my noise cancelling and excellent sound quality needs, it has a good mic but I don’t bother talking to preschool brats or my friends in online games anyways.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions