Groups
    EXPIRED

Advice on This Bike

Hi All,

Looking to get my first Bike mainly to be used on roads, I found this one:

halfords.com/web…534

Can some one point out how well its priced and any other alternative within about £150 would be helpful as well.

Many thanks

8 Comments

Feedback is for HUKD issues only, have asked mods to move.

Hi gurinderc,
    The Feedback forum is for HUKD related issues/problems.

This really belongs in "]Misc".

I will report it for you so that it can be moved.

Edit: Already reported.

Original Poster

Thanks for the action.

Original Poster

Any one here?

I think they're pretty good for the money.

Sometimes there's some variance in price - especially if local stores are selling the previous years model (not much difference where this bike is concerned).

I guess the advantage of this bike, compared with others you may be able to get mail or internet order, is that at least you have a physical store you can return to, if there's problems.

There is £18 (10%) off the listed price - you have to go through to checkout to get it until 4th November at the moment! Not a bad bike but check their assembly because they are generally not that good ............they tried to let me leave with only one brake connected when I bought one!

It looks like 26" wheels from the pic (might be wrong), 700c wheels (hybrid\road) would be a better choice for mainly road use and I would also recomend upping the budget slightly to £200-250 overall quality will be better. To be honest unless you know how to maintain a bike properly and are able to do your own repairs then I would get it from a decent independent bike shop and not Halfords, that way the bike will be checked over properly to start with and you're more likely to get a better service if you get any issues.

With bikes buying cheap or going to the wrong shop normally means spending more in the long run...

FIBRE+;3320871

It looks like 26" wheels from the pic (might be wrong), 700c wheels … It looks like 26" wheels from the pic (might be wrong), 700c wheels (hybrid\road) would be a better choice for mainly road use

The Subway 1 does use 26" wheels, but I wouldn't worry too much for road use - it has pretty slick tyres.

FIBRE+;3320871

and I would also recomend upping the budget slightly to £200-250 overall … and I would also recomend upping the budget slightly to £200-250 overall quality will be better.

To be honest, for road use, there's not really much point. A good frame is a good starting point, and the Subway 1 has a reasonable spec frame (not spectacular, just solid, and reasonably light). It has all the right things (rack mounts and mudguard mounts) for road use, and the components, whilst solid entry-level, aren't rubbish. Again, they're not great, but they're good enough to use for a while, especially when on a budget, and the frame is worthy of upgraded components, once the originals wear out.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gaming graphics- much difference gtx980 vs gtx106068
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…11
      3. parquet floor sanded45
      4. Laptop - is this a good deal?11

See more discussions