Advice on this phone deal...

Found 14th Sep 2017
Hello all,

Thinking of ending my O2 contract early because it's a rip off!

Found the following deal:

£8 sim only BT deal (3GB data, unlimited mins & texts) with £40 Amazon GC = £152 for 2 years.

LG G6 for £338 (with 2 year warranty)

O2 will charge £65 to cancel early (5 months left)

Can sell my O2 phone for £110 cash at CEX.

Total over 24 months for all of the above is £445.

Just looking for some advice really - is it a good deal?
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Your a bit all over the place with your numbers

First off, Sim Only Airtime Contracts are for 12 months, so if its a BT SIM Only Deal, then that deal will only last for 12 months, in other words if the Deal is a Discounted Deal or Non Plan Offer then the discount or Offer will expire at the end of your contract (12 months) after which, your free to move on, negotiate another Deal with BT, if there is one, or continue paying your SIM Only with BT out of Contract but probably pay more as it will revert to the original plan without discount or the offer, thats normally how it works with Sim Only Contracts. So you cant really say its going to be £152 for 2 years (its not 152 by the way its £192) so it will be £96 for 12 months after that who knows.

Where does the LG G6 for £338 (with 2 year warranty) come from, BT?, A N Other, PAYGO, either way make sure its SIm Free, other wise your tied down again with the Network Provider, and if you unlock the Phone your 2 Year Warranty will probably become Invalid.

O2 will charge £65 to cancel early (5 months left), so you paying off your Airtime Contract early, so effectively for the next 5 months your paying Double Airtime, O2 and BT, and you probably wont be able to use the O2 Sim as they will probably end the Contract when youve paid up.

Can sell my O2 phone for £110 cash at CEX, cant argue with that (if) its your phone, its worth whats its worth, either now or in 5 months time, Is it still Network Locked?, as CEX will probably pay less if it is..

I take it your an Existing BT Customer as most BT (and Virgin) Deals these days are only for Existing Telephone or Broadband Customers, New Customers will pay more for the Deals.

Take on board what Ive said and re arrange your thinking of the deal based over the next 12 months, which is what your new SIMO deal would be.

If it was me, for the sake of 5 months left on your O2 Contract, I would stick it out, then after go back to O2 (If your happy with them) and ask the question, as an now extiblished Customer, What you going to Offer Me to stay with you?, another Deal or a Discounted 12 months SIMO plan and use your Existing Phone or get another Sim Free Phone. Or walk away, go else where and get another Phone or SIM Only Deal, theres always Deals to be had out there.
Original Poster
zirk15 m ago

Your a bit all over the place with your numbersFirst off, Sim Only Airtime …Your a bit all over the place with your numbersFirst off, Sim Only Airtime Contracts are for 12 months, so if its a BT SIM Only Deal, then that deal will only last for 12 months, in other words if the Deal is a Discounted Deal or Non Plan Offer then the discount or Offer will expire at the end of your contract (12 months) after which, your free to move on, negotiate another Deal with BT, if there is one, or continue paying your SIM Only with BT out of Contract but probably pay more as it will revert to the original plan without discount or the offer, thats normally how it works with Sim Only Contracts. So you cant really say its going to be £152 for 2 years (its not 152 by the way its £192) so it will be £96 for 12 months after that who knows.Where does the LG G6 for £338 (with 2 year warranty) come from, BT?, A N Other, PAYGO, either way make sure its SIm Free, other wise your tied down again with the Network Provider, and if you unlock the Phone your 2 Year Warranty will probably become Invalid.O2 will charge £65 to cancel early (5 months left), so you paying off your Airtime Contract early, so effectively for the next 5 months your paying Double Airtime, O2 and BT, and you probably wont be able to use the O2 Sim as they will probably end the Contract when youve paid up.Can sell my O2 phone for £110 cash at CEX, cant argue with that (if) its your phone, its worth whats its worth, either now or in 5 months time, Is it still Network Locked?, as CEX will probably pay less if it is..I take it your an Existing BT Customer as most BT (and Virgin) Deals these days are only for Existing Telephone or Broadband Customers, New Customers will pay more for the Deals.Take on board what Ive said and re arrange your thinking of the deal based over the next 12 months, which is what your new SIMO deal would be.If it was me, for the sake of 5 months left on your O2 Contract, I would stick it out, then after go back to O2 (If your happy with them) and ask the question, as an now extiblished Customer, What you going to Offer Me to stay with you?, another Deal or a Discounted 12 months SIMO plan and use your Existing Phone or get another Sim Free Phone. Or walk away, go else where and get another Phone or SIM Only Deal, theres always Deals to be had out there.

Thanks for your reply and helping me to decide.

I've changed my spreadsheet to just 12 months now. I'll be buying the sim only phone from CEX ( I have a voucher to use) as that's the cheapest place. When I sell my current one, it's unlocked so getting the higher price for it too.

Think I'll wait at least until black friday, or if I can get the LG G6 for sub-£300. Failing that, see the contract out and look for another good SIMO deal.

Thanks for all the advice
Your welcome, Im glad it helped.

Yea, owning your own Phone and going Sim Only is definitely they way to save money, been doing it for years now and have saved thousands over the years compared paying for Phone over 18/24 months on Contract.

I know there are folk out there that want the latest phone every time it comes out and sign up for another Contract Phone, but its an expensive way to fund a new phone in my book.
Original Poster
zirk7 m ago

Your welcome, Im glad it helped.Yea, owning your own Phone and going Sim …Your welcome, Im glad it helped.Yea, owning your own Phone and going Sim Only is definitely they way to save money, been doing it for years now and have saved thousands over the years compared paying for Phone over 18/24 months on Contract.I know there are folk out there that want the latest phone every time it comes out and sign up for another Contract Phone, but its an expensive way to fund a new phone in my book.

Yeah, that's what I've discovered recently too (hence why I want to change).

Im just hoping there'll be a good simo deal when my current contract runs out, and that I can buy either the LG G6 or another decent android phone for a good price SIM free.
Tried using mobiles.co.uk? I got my refurb iPhone 7 128gb for £27 with 3gb data a few months thanks to it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions