Groups

Advice on this please

currys.co.uk/mar…jsp[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladejigglledcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=2&sm=1&tm=0&sku=154587&category_oid=-37388

Is this any good?

or is this one better

direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx

help welcome

THANKS

11 Comments

emachine is pretty good for the cash. but i had bad experiences with there desktops years ago so kept away since

I believe both emachines and Advent are a "PC World / Currys only" brand (or at least were until recently, maybe they have branched out).

They tend to cater for the "Cheap and Cheerful" end of the market.

The Celeron (intel) and Sempron (AMD) CPUs these laptops have are both the cheap, slow, low end of the market. The Celeron in the Advent is particularly low powered.

If all you do is email, internet then they may be fine. Anything more "powerful" and they may struggle.

The Advent also has a very small screen (13.3 inch) and seems to be trying to hit the netbook market.

The emachines has 64 bit Windows (the Advent does not say) which MAY be an issue if you have an old printer or other device that does NOT come with 64 bit drivers for Windows 7. I have to say 64 bit Windows is becoming more and more common as many laptops now offer it.

If you can stretch to it add another £50 and go for a "proper" brand like Toshiba etc

(on a personal level I would never buy an Advent or emachines laptop)

Avoid the emachines one, it's a single core processor which should be avoided at that price in anything other than an ultra-portable machine.

The Celeron 723 is also a single core processor, but at 1.6kg it's a much more portable machine. It's still very slow, but at around 1.6kg you're not going to get anything much better at that price - although I don't know whether the rest of the machine is up to it (battery life, hinge durability, latches etc.). As you're also looking at the much heavier eMachines I guess you don't need much in the way of portability and if that's the case I'd avoid this one as well.

Banned

have you looked at the samsung argos one £399 and with 3 year samsung warranty

Original Poster

sassie;7768734

have you looked at the samsung argos one £399 and with 3 year samsung … have you looked at the samsung argos one £399 and with 3 year samsung warranty

Linky please.

Original Poster

Found this one, can people let me know what they think please. (also anyone know any DELL vouchers or codes etc.)

www1.euro.dell.com/uk/…430

COLOUR CHOICE Obsidian Black edit
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i3-330M (2.13Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word) edit
    SERVICES AND SUPPORT 1 year of coverage included with your PC edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit
    LCD 15.6" High Definition (1366x768) WLED edit
    MEMORY 3072MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x1024 + 1x2048] edit
    HARD DRIVE 250GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 48 WHr Lithium Ion battery edit
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g) edit
    WEBCAM 1.3 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera edit
    Accessories
    Also included with your system
    PROTECT YOUR DATA DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
    Gedis Bundle Reference N0256401
    Order Information Inspiron 1564 Order - UK
    Shipping Documents English Documentation
    Dell System Media Kit Inspiron 1564 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
    Power Supply 65W AC Adaptor
    Standard Warranty 1 year of coverage included with your PC
    Carrying Cases No Carry Case
    Cables 1 Meter Power Cord - UK
    Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Support
    Labels Wireless Label CI3

compared to this one i am also looking at.

pcworld.co.uk/mar…770

Operating system Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium
    Processor Type Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400
    Processor speed 2200 The higher the number of Megahertz (MHZ) the faster the processor should be
    Memory Size 3072 MB
    Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB The bigger the capacity the more you can store
    Optical Drives DVD/RW
    CD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speed
    CD-RW Speed. 8 x Enabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speed
    DVD-ROM Speed 8 x Enabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed
    DVD-RW Speed 8 x Enabling you to store data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speed
    Floppy Disk Drive NO Floppy disks are 3.5" square and store a small amount of data. CDs,DVDs and memory sticks are now usually used instead
    Screen Size/Type 15.6"
    Graphics Card Type Integrated GMA 4500MHD To enable images to be displayed on your monitor
    TV-out NO Allowing you to plug your laptop into a TV to watch DVDs
    Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot
    No. of USB Connections 3 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDA
    Infrared Port Included NO Allowing you to connect to other devices with infrared such as an infrared enabled mobile phone
    Other Interfaces 802.11 b/g
    Battery Type 4 cell
    Battery life (up to) 3 hours
    Software Titles Included -
    Weight 2.7 kg This is the weight of the appliance in KG
    Height 37.5 mm
    Width 373 mm
    Depth 244 mm
    Colour Cherry Red

Original Poster

Anyone help on the above please ?

Assuming it's £400 or so the top one looks like a good deal. The bottom one isn't great value in terms of specification.

Original Poster

Thanks ^^
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2746
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927380
      3. word association Game74044578
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767438

See more discussions