Groups

Advice on TV on plasterboard/hollow wall

Hi HUKDers.. I am in desperate need of some help/advice. I am looking to fit my 37" TV to the wall in my new apartment. However, the walls are plasterboard/hollow walls. I just wanted to know if anyone knew the best way to go about this, as I know normal wall plugs wouldn't work.

Would anchor plugs work? Such as: ebay.co.uk/itm…a39

Any advice would be gratefully received.

28 Comments

Banned

I think they are what I used for a 42in and worked really will go find packet in tool shed to see

There are a number of plugs (eg: Rawl) etc available but it's more of how much risk you want to take

We took a route of something I had seen at work but then was advised the same by the builder and that was to screw a rectangle board into the wall first and then put the TV on that. Surface area I guess?

i found were the wooden beams were in the wall and screwed it to that a sparky told me to do it that way

Original Poster

How did you locate the wooden beams?

Banned

cant find them but it was them I used im sure however on 1 side I used the stud beam

Original Poster

HUKDeLITE

I think they are what I used for a 42in and worked really will go find … I think they are what I used for a 42in and worked really will go find packet in tool shed to see

THank you, I'm not really a DIYer so any advice is useful!

Banned

Scratty

you can get a detector for few quid or tap the wall till its not a hollow sound but thats a little risky

Scratty

i took off the skirting board mate then when i fitted it to the wall i could pull the cables down to

These yolk's are what you want :

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/farnell/standard/FN0141805-40.jpg

Excellent fixing for dry wall. The good thing is that a modern TV is not that heavy, but yes, the above is perfect for dry wall's

Original Poster

HUKDeLITE

cant find them but it was them I used im sure however on 1 side I used … cant find them but it was them I used im sure however on 1 side I used the stud beam

How can you locate the stud beam? I think there is a beam in the centre of the wall?

Scratty

You can buy a stud locator - or the cheaper method is to probe with a very thin nail or thick needle . If there is no stud - it will be stiff for the first cm then less resistance once it clears the plasterboard. If there is a stud then you will feel increased resistance after the first cm.

A less precise method is to tap on the wall to find out where its hollow and where its not

sparkyIreland

These yolk's are what you want :Excellent fixing for dry wall. The good … These yolk's are what you want :Excellent fixing for dry wall. The good thing is that a modern TV is not that heavy, but yes, the above is perfect for dry wall's

yeah they are the best for plasterboard i think i paid 4 quid for 6 or something like that anyways from B&Q the other day

Original Poster

sparkyIreland

These yolk's are what you want :Excellent fixing for dry wall. The good … These yolk's are what you want :Excellent fixing for dry wall. The good thing is that a modern TV is not that heavy, but yes, the above is perfect for dry wall's

Which would be a better fixing?

Original Poster

gari189

You can buy a stud locator - or the cheaper method is to probe with a … You can buy a stud locator - or the cheaper method is to probe with a very thin nail or thick needle . If there is no stud - it will be stiff for the first cm then less resistance once it clears the plasterboard. If there is a stud then you will feel increased resistance after the first cm.A less precise method is to tap on the wall to find out where its hollow and where its not

I might try the nail/needle method.. are the studs definitely wood?

Mod & Ed

if only it was a shed / trellis problem

Scratty

Which would be a better fixing?

i personaly would put it on ya stud wall if you can

Tap on the walls as others have said, studs are usually about 600mm apart.

Scratty

I might try the nail/needle method.. are the studs definitely wood?

You can get metal systems for stud walls but wood is cheaper so its almost definitely wood.....

Lots of threads on the AV forums about this eg this one
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1240190-hanging-lcd-plaster-board.html

When I mounted mine I was fortunate that the position of the mount was exactly where a stud was. If you are routing the cables up the wall use a gang brush plate - if you have lots a cables use a double gang. Gives a neat finish and stops draughts....
    Edited by: "gari189" 24th Mar 2012

Original Poster

Appreciate all your advice, when attaching to the studs do I just use wood screws? or plugs as well>

Banned

Most modern houses are metal stud not wood. The studs (vertical frame members) are normally 600mm apart as above.

The rectangular backboard is screwed into the stud then the bracket screwed to the backboard. You can't just screw the backboard on anywhere as you'd be as well screwing the bracket on.

Those fixings above are ok for hanging heavier mirrors on plasterboard but I wouldn't hang my TV on them unless screwed to the stud.

Original Poster

gari189

You can get metal systems for stud walls but wood is cheaper so its … You can get metal systems for stud walls but wood is cheaper so its almost definitely wood.....Lots of threads on the AV forums about this eg this onehttp://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1240190-hanging-lcd-plaster-board.htmlWhen I mounted mine I was fortunate that the position of the mount was exactly where a stud was. If you are routing the cables up the wall use a gang brush plate - if you have lots a cables use a double gang.

Thanks for the link. To be honest, I'm not sure if wires go up behind it or not. I have a plug in the corner of the room, but I want to hang the tele in the middle of the wall.

Scratty

Appreciate all your advice, when attaching to the studs do I just use … Appreciate all your advice, when attaching to the studs do I just use wood screws? or plugs as well>

Just screws - but I would get a mate round to give you hand and check things over before you mount the TV.....

As for cables the simplest thing is to use trunking - you can get specific nicer trunking like this for example. Run the cable along the skirting then use the trunking below to run it up the wall to the tv.
    maplin.co.uk/sli…510

Original Poster

gari189

Just screws - but I would get a mate round to give you hand and check … Just screws - but I would get a mate round to give you hand and check things over before you mount the TV.....

Believe it or not, I am more concerned about ripping a huge hole in the plasterboard.. not breaking the tv.

Scratty

Appreciate all your advice, when attaching to the studs do I just use … Appreciate all your advice, when attaching to the studs do I just use wood screws? or plugs as well>

just long wood screw mate

Scratty

Believe it or not, I am more concerned about ripping a huge hole in the … Believe it or not, I am more concerned about ripping a huge hole in the plasterboard.. not breaking the tv.

Plasterboard is pretty easy to repair

You can get lots of different fixings for plasterboard. I think the fixings you mention in the OP are better ones to use than the other ones mentioned in this thread.
    You can get them from Screwfix or toolstation etc
    http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=hollow+wall+anchor

Video here how to use them
    youtube.com/wat…TPI

Yes those plasterboard fixings are perfect for plasterboard, however they wouldn't be good holding such a weight.

Find the studs, and affix the bracket to them, or to spread the weight further, affix a board to the wall just a bit smaller than the tele (10mm MDF), and the bracket to that, this will create a wider load bearing surface.

Original Poster

Thankyou for all advice

When mounting a tv on my kids bedroom wall, I drilled right through it into another room, I then used some long bolts which went through the TV bracket>Plaster board wall>Piece of wood.

Use the wood as a point for some hooks and hang dressing gowns on etc.. Or stick a picture up.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 25th Mar 2012
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      2. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?33
      4. Furniture Sliders45

See more discussions