Groups

Advice on what people find is the best products/methods for car washing and polishing , maybe even detailing please ?

Had my car about a month now and was hoping for some advice on the best products and methods you use for keeping it looking good inside and out ?

Hoping this could become a reference thread as I know there are loads of people on here who are car nuts or at least mildly obsessive/ocd

Thanks in advance

12 Comments

Spray the underside of your vehicle with old engine/gear oil once in a while (you may need to remove a fair bit of plastic trays/trim but well worth it if you are keeping the vehicle long term).

marty-4011 h, 11 m ago

Spray the underside of your vehicle with old engine/gear oil once in a …Spray the underside of your vehicle with old engine/gear oil once in a while (you may need to remove a fair bit of plastic trays/trim but well worth it if you are keeping the vehicle long term).

​Probably not the best advice, especially if the op is not familiar with car mechanics ( as I'm guessing you're not) as you could end up sprayed oil all over brake components and other rubber bushes and covers which could actually make things worse by attracting all sorts of debris and dust to stick to components and cause excessive wear.

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog

Probably not the best advice, especially if the op is not familiar with … Probably not the best advice, especially if the op is not familiar with car mechanics ( as I'm guessing you're not) as you could end up sprayed oil all over brake components and other rubber bushes and covers which could actually make things worse by attracting all sorts of debris and dust to stick to components and cause excessive wear.

Looking at the cleaning and polishing side of things rather than actual mechanical maintenance

Edited the title incase it wasn't clear

Thanks for a respose though
    Edited by: "Andi.Keane" 1st Jul

Snow foam. Great fun to apply and starts the cleaning process off by gently loosening dirt/debris before going in for the wash.
    Clean with two bucket method to avoid contaminated water, dry with a thick, microfibre cloth and polish with a good quality polish (auto glym high definition wax is very good imo).

As above get a good pressure washer and snow foam attachment for the pre-wash. Then only use microfibres for washing and drying followed by a good wax every so often.

If the car is a couple of years old consider claying it.

There are some good detailing forums and YouTube videos but some people do go OTT (in my opinion). I like my car clean but do have a life as well.

As above get a good pressure washer and snow foam attachment for the pre-wash. Then only use microfibres for washing and drying followed by a good wax every so often.

If the car is a couple of years old consider claying it.

There are some good detailing forums and YouTube videos but some people do go OTT (in my opinion). I like my car clean but do have a life as well.

Dont use Wash and Wax !!!!
    I use Meguires to wax and then i use a top coat wax on top of that yes it takes time and effort but i only need to Wax every 6 Months also have a look for Wax that suits the colour of your car this will enhance the Shine just google"best wax for White Car" etc but be careful out there there are a lot of cheap wax without Carnuba in them

For normal weekly wash I would
    Snow foam (wax safe)
    Rinse with pressure washer
    2 bucket method with extra bucket for wheels
    Use end of hose to sheet water off
    Dry by patting

For prep of Polish and wax I would

Snow foam
    Iron fallout
    Rinse
    Tar remover
    Rinse
    2 bucket method
    Rinse
    Clay bar
    Hose down
    Dry
    Depends on marks or not
    Koch chemie polish h8 with microfiber pad
    Meguiars 205 with black pad
    Using white diamond sealant/glaze atm
    Wipe panels as go
    Wax by hand using bilt hamber but going down the liquid option now.
    Wheel shine I use chemical guys

All depends on the car paint. I've got a bmw which has reallllly hard coating so defects taking ages.

Since yours is a month old definitely try ceramic coating do some research or look for a detailer near you

Original Poster

jaspreet178 h, 2 m ago

Since yours is a month old definitely try ceramic coating do some research …Since yours is a month old definitely try ceramic coating do some research or look for a detailer near you

​It's just under 2 years old but I have only had it a month

If you eliminate the scratches/swirl to a perfect condition then still go after ceramic, But it could take time and patience.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Why do people scam on Gumtree?33
      2. Anyone tried the Tyrells website for the mini competition?11
      3. A mini break to Edinburgh - recommendations for recommendations/area etc!46
      4. Anything better than allcast?33

See more discussions