Advice on whether to replace CPU for ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer motherboard

Found 10th Oct 2017Edited by:"dwl99"
My PC spec is as follows:

ASRock Fatal1ty H97 motherboard (socket 1150)
Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz CPU
Intel HD graphics 4600 (onboard)
2x8GB DDR3 RAM
Crucial 240GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro with all updates & newest drivers (recent clean install)

My PC has started to get very slow & almost freezes when doing anything that puts the CPU under load, e.g copying large files. The mouse cursor will get very juddery for a short time (tested with wireless and corded mouse) and when I check task manager the CPU usage is peaking at 100% during these periods. I haven't been able to track down any particular process apart from System that might be hogging resources. Resource Monitor hasn't shown up anything either.

Should this be happening with my current CPU? Would an upgrade be likely to help? If so, which one would give the best bang-for-buck? Compatible CPUs here.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Nothing wrong with your system specs and copying files wont max out your i5 CPU. I think it's a case of not throwing money at a problem and opening performance monitor to check to see what is happening. OS slow downs are mostly due to high latency on the drive controller which will bring any PC to a stand still. You're probably running an intel drive controller so you're going to need to swap out the windows drivers for the official intel or vice versa to see if that fixes the issue.

Open performance monitor and check the HDD latency, you can do this by typing in Performance Monitor in the windows search box. You're looking at average Disk Queue Length and also check interrupt time under processor informance.

I'd save your money and just play with the drivers.
Edited by: "kester76" 10th Oct 2017
Also trim and defrag any drives you have with optimise.
Thanks, I couldn't find an entry for Disk Queue Length in Performance monitor but after a bit of googling I ran winsat and got the following:

C:\Windows\system32>winsat disk
Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running: Feature Enumeration ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: Storage Assessment '-ran -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:00.17
> Running: Storage Assessment '-seq -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:02.73
> Running: Storage Assessment '-seq -write -drive C:'
> Run Time 00:00:02.95
> Running: Storage Assessment '-flush -drive C: -seq'
> Run Time 00:00:00.69
> Running: Storage Assessment '-flush -drive C: -ran'
> Run Time 00:00:00.78
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 374.33 MB/s 8.1
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 433.13 MB/s 8.0
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Write 263.17 MB/s 7.6
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes 0.285 ms 8.4
> Latency: 95th Percentile 1.581 ms 7.9
> Latency: Maximum 32.348 ms 7.9
> Average Read Time with Random Writes 0.333 ms 8.8
> Total Run Time 00:00:07.44

Does this indicate any issues?
Thanks

PS my C drive (SSD) is already optimised, most recently yesterday.

PPS I finally found the Disk Queue Length info 32224755-xBEBn.jpg
Edited by: "dwl99" 10th Oct 2017
dwl9919 m ago

Thanks, I couldn't find an entry for Disk Queue Length in Performance …Thanks, I couldn't find an entry for Disk Queue Length in Performance monitor but after a bit of googling I ran winsat and got the following:C:\Windows\system32>winsat diskWindows System Assessment Tool> Running: Feature Enumeration ''> Run Time 00:00:00.00> Running: Storage Assessment '-ran -read -n 0'> Run Time 00:00:00.17> Running: Storage Assessment '-seq -read -n 0'> Run Time 00:00:02.73> Running: Storage Assessment '-seq -write -drive C:'> Run Time 00:00:02.95> Running: Storage Assessment '-flush -drive C: -seq'> Run Time 00:00:00.69> Running: Storage Assessment '-flush -drive C: -ran'> Run Time 00:00:00.78> Disk Random 16.0 Read 374.33 MB/s 8.1> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 433.13 MB/s 8.0> Disk Sequential 64.0 Write 263.17 MB/s 7.6> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes 0.285 ms 8.4> Latency: 95th Percentile 1.581 ms 7.9> Latency: Maximum 32.348 ms 7.9> Average Read Time with Random Writes 0.333 ms 8.8> Total Run Time 00:00:07.44Does this indicate any issues?ThanksPS my C drive (SSD) is already optimised, most recently yesterday.PPS I finally found the Disk Queue Length info [Image]

Unfortunately you want to copy some really big files i.e. several 5GB to max out the drive. It should start out quickly but then slow down after a minute or so. What you're looking for is high disk activity.

Open Resource Monitor and select the Disk tab. Check to see if you get 100% Disk activity when the PC slows down.
The issue I've had in the past is high disk activity causing the system to hang. I've had to pull 4 x 2TB Samsung 204ui due to them being an issue in the past but sometimes it's a driver issue, other times it has been a rogue SATA cable dropping drive speed to IDE from AHCI.
Update on that, an issue with slow Disk reading can cause windows to set HDD from Ultra DMA to PIO. PIO is really slow and will give you a lot of grief.
Another thing that slows the computer to a crawl is opening Firefox. This is what resource manager shows when I do this 32225205-TejYY.jpgWould this indicate a HDD or CPU issue?

Thanks again
Edited by: "dwl99" 10th Oct 2017
dwl9930 m ago

Another thing that slows the computer to a crawl is opening Firefox. This …Another thing that slows the computer to a crawl is opening Firefox. This is what resource manager shows when I do this [Image] Would this indicate a HDD or CPU issue?Thanks again

That looks more CPU but I guess there's corruption in firefox settings that are causing this. Might be worth completely removing and clearing out firefox and starting again.
If you can I would recommend backing up your files and just doing a fresh install of Windows.
emodan4 m ago

If you can I would recommend backing up your files and just doing a fresh …If you can I would recommend backing up your files and just doing a fresh install of Windows.

This was a fresh install. The old install had the same problem :-(
kester7625 m ago

That looks more CPU but I guess there's corruption in firefox settings …That looks more CPU but I guess there's corruption in firefox settings that are causing this. Might be worth completely removing and clearing out firefox and starting again.

The same thing happens with other random programs such as Chrome. Removing Firefox & reinstalling it with a new profile hasn't fixed it either. I'm baffled why such low level tasks are maxing out an i5.
dwl9932 m ago

This was a fresh install. The old install had the same problem :-(

Have you checked your temps as the cpu would run poorly if thermal throttling. I have a 4770k which is pretty similar to your CPU just with hyper threading and I've never had any similar issues except for the time my water cooler wasn't on correctly and the cpu was running at 85c+.
emodan32 m ago

Have you checked your temps as the cpu would run poorly if thermal …Have you checked your temps as the cpu would run poorly if thermal throttling. I have a 4770k which is pretty similar to your CPU just with hyper threading and I've never had any similar issues except for the time my water cooler wasn't on correctly and the cpu was running at 85c+.

Thanks, that's a good point. Will check the temperature.
dwl995 h, 3 m ago

The same thing happens with other random programs such as Chrome. Removing …The same thing happens with other random programs such as Chrome. Removing Firefox & reinstalling it with a new profile hasn't fixed it either. I'm baffled why such low level tasks are maxing out an i5.

Weird as it beats my fx8350 in performance. Must be some sort of latency holding up the pc unless it's highly multithreaded. I remember something about the browser running a protective mode where each tab had its own thread in case of a webpage crash.
I think it's thermal throttling. The resting CPU temp is around 40 degrees and whenever it climbs to 47 & above, that's when the PC slows down. Will clean out the CPU fan & heatsink and invest in some new thermal paste.

Thanks for everyone's input!
dwl9913 m ago

I think it's thermal throttling. The resting CPU temp is around 40 degrees …I think it's thermal throttling. The resting CPU temp is around 40 degrees and whenever it climbs to 47 & above, that's when the PC slows down. Will clean out the CPU fan & heatsink and invest in some new thermal paste.Thanks for everyone's input!

47°C is far too cool for a CPU to throttle, that doesn't happen until they get to 90°C+. It's unusually cool for a 100% loaded CPU at all, unless you've got a massive cooler on there. Sensors vary by motherboard so sometimes the readouts get mixed up, that may be a socket or motherboard sensor.

Although temperature isn't the best way to check as it can be high and not throttling and high and throttling.

The key indicator of throttling is if the clockspeed drops under load. If your CPU is doing something and it drops below 3.2Ghz on all cores then that's a good indicator it's throttling itself.
EndlessWaves17 m ago

47°C is far too cool for a CPU to throttle, that doesn't happen until they …47°C is far too cool for a CPU to throttle, that doesn't happen until they get to 90°C+. It's unusually cool for a 100% loaded CPU at all, unless you've got a massive cooler on there. Sensors vary by motherboard so sometimes the readouts get mixed up, that may be a socket or motherboard sensor.Although temperature isn't the best way to check as it can be high and not throttling and high and throttling.The key indicator of throttling is if the clockspeed drops under load. If your CPU is doing something and it drops below 3.2Ghz on all cores then that's a good indicator it's throttling itself.

Back to the drawing board then. For the moment I've disabled Cortana, Chrome and Superfetch to see if that helps.
Might be worth buy a sata drive for virtual memory etc to take any additional load off the system drive.
dwl992 h, 51 m ago

Back to the drawing board then. For the moment I've disabled Cortana, …Back to the drawing board then. For the moment I've disabled Cortana, Chrome and Superfetch to see if that helps.

If your clockspeeds are looking fine then have you grabbed the latest firmware for your SSD and BIOS for your motherboard?

It could be a DPC issue:
techreport.com/blo…iew
kester7634 m ago

Might be worth buy a sata drive for virtual memory etc to take any …Might be worth buy a sata drive for virtual memory etc to take any additional load off the system drive.

I already have a 7200rpm SATA drive fitted that I didn't mention
EndlessWaves10 m ago

If your clockspeeds are looking fine then have you grabbed the latest …If your clockspeeds are looking fine then have you grabbed the latest firmware for your SSD and BIOS for your motherboard? It could be a DPC issue:http://techreport.com/blog/30506/re-examining-the-unusual-frame-time-results-in-our-radeon-rx-470-review

Yes, BIOS is up to date & so is SSD firmware
dwl9930 m ago

I already have a 7200rpm SATA drive fitted that I didn't mention

That makes a difference. What do you use the additonal drive for as issues with this drive could slow down the system as well.
kester767 h, 38 m ago

That makes a difference. What do you use the additonal drive for as issues …That makes a difference. What do you use the additonal drive for as issues with this drive could slow down the system as well.

The SSD is the boot drive and the SATA is for storage. All of the appdata & program files are on the SSD.
dwl995 h, 14 m ago

The SSD is the boot drive and the SATA is for storage. All of the appdata …The SSD is the boot drive and the SATA is for storage. All of the appdata & program files are on the SSD.

Try disconnecting the Hard drive and see if performance improves. If it does then swap the hard drive to another SATA socket and see if it stays the same. Sometime a rogue cable or drive can limit copy speed.
Disconnecting everything non-essential is a good thing to try. Take out one of the two memory sticks, unplug extra hard drive, disconnect printers and other peripherals.

It might be worth running Prime95's stress test for an hour or so and see if it throws up any errors. Usually hardware faults cause lots of corruption and nastiness rather than just slowing the system down though.

If it's persisting between installs then that means something that's common between them. Assuming you didn't restore your user data instantly then that suggests either hardware or something like a driver bug.
Thanks, will give this a go over the next few days
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants