Expired

Advice please

Found 11th Jun
This is a advice request please .
I have a friend who has health issues and has difficulty leaving the house her daughter is now looking to learn how to drive which is the safest and quickest route is it automatic or manual driving lessons .??
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Automatics are easiest to drive, much less to worry about clutch/gears etc and modern autos are very good, but then you can't drive manuals. If you hire a car auto's are often much more expensive.
Quickest - automatic. Less to learn but it would be a matter of saving hours/days, not a saving of weeks/months.
Safest - manual. You understand other road users.

If health issues predicate the use of an automatic then she will need to declare that to her insurers. They may or may not load her but to state there are no other circumstances for an insurer to be aware of would not be truthful.
Automatic cars are more expensive to buy and rarer so less choice. Pass a manual test and you can drive manual or auto. Pass a Auto test and you need to take the full test again to drive a manual.
As said above. Learn to drive a manual as then you are not limited to automatics, which are expensive
I never drove an automatic car since I was allowed to drive. 1991

I actually enjoy changing gears and give preference to manual gearbox as then tend to be more economical = lower emissions tax
gcmarcal23 m ago

I never drove an automatic car since I was allowed to drive. 1991 I …I never drove an automatic car since I was allowed to drive. 1991 I actually enjoy changing gears and give preference to manual gearbox as then tend to be more economical = lower emissions tax

I've just bought my first automatic after having only ever drvien manuals since 1989, reason being the car i wanted is rarely available in Manual as the auto gearbox is so good. (7g Mercedes auto box, it's actually faster and more economical than the manual version)

I wish I'd done it years ago....Driving in heavy traffic is almost a pleasure

That said I'd always advise getting a manual license even if you only plan to drive an auto as it gives you the flexibility to drive any car
Uridium8 m ago

I've just bought my first automatic after having only ever drvien manuals …I've just bought my first automatic after having only ever drvien manuals since 1989, reason being the car i wanted is rarely available in Manual as the auto gearbox is so good. (7g Mercedes auto box, it's actually faster and more economical than the manual version)I wish I'd done it years ago....Driving in heavy traffic is almost a pleasure That said I'd always advise getting a manual license even if you only plan to drive an auto as it gives you the flexibility to drive any car

I think it depends on the car. For Mine tax for the automatic version is £280.00 comparing to a manual £190.00.
They used to do a few days intensive learning then you take a test. Cost a bit but thats the fastest way. Go for manual. They say 17 hours to learn at 17 years old. 18 hours aged 18 and so on
wayners33 m ago

They used to do a few days intensive learning then you take a test. Cost a …They used to do a few days intensive learning then you take a test. Cost a bit but thats the fastest way. Go for manual. They say 17 hours to learn at 17 years old. 18 hours aged 18 and so on

I once saw a driving school offering this. They were advertising it as a crash course. Not the best wording
Quickest way to learn is an intensive driving course on a manual car, either that or do what I did, do the theory test first and get that out of the way then speak to an instructor and book 5 hours (2 hours in morning then lunch break and 3 hours in the afternoon) of lessons for 4 weeks, then take test. Passed 1st time, both theory and driving test.
It's always difficult taking a driving test when "you have to pass" - i.e. need to use a car straightaway for your current lifestyle (new job, new address or as in this case health reason).

Best to just accept that the learner will pass when they are ready - rather than to a desired timeline. Too much pressure never helps and can lead to dissappointment!

I encouraged my kids to learn before driving was not a necessity for them - much easier.

I would agree learning in a manual car is the best option.
Uridium3 h, 38 m ago

I've just bought my first automatic after having only ever drvien manuals …I've just bought my first automatic after having only ever drvien manuals since 1989, reason being the car i wanted is rarely available in Manual as the auto gearbox is so good. (7g Mercedes auto box, it's actually faster and more economical than the manual version)I wish I'd done it years ago....Driving in heavy traffic is almost a pleasure That said I'd always advise getting a manual license even if you only plan to drive an auto as it gives you the flexibility to drive any car

Funny I was exately the same, 21 years of manuals never having driven an auto, looking at most high performance models these days they are all only mostly available in Auto's. These days with Dual Clutch Auto's and 8 speed boxs, with cars that can red line so quick a human couldn't keep up, not to mention I'd also much rather have both hands firmly on the steering wheel of the beast! Also launch control just puts a big smile on your face lol.

If I was to learn to drive again though I'd still pick a manual rather than 2/3'ing (total random stat lol) my choice of cars I could buy or drive.
Take automatic lessons.
It’s very quick to learn. I got manual lessons at the time and never driven a manual car I’ve always had automatic cars and they’re much easier!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants