ADVICE PLEASE - CHARGED TWICE IN ASDA FOR SHOPPING.

Found 25th Feb 2012
Good Afternoon All,
My partner was in Asda yesterday purchasing the shopping.
At the till she payed with her debit card and entered her pin number - she then removed the card and was told by the cashier she had removed the card too earlier and that the payment had not gone through.
So she repeated the process and thought all was ok.

We have today checked her online statements and there is a clear charge of the transaction for 2 occassions (basically it clearly shows payment twice)

She got a mini statement printed off from the cash machine as the bank was not open and she today went into the Asda branch and to the cashier who served her - she presented to the cashier the mini statement and explained the situation - the cashier then got the floor superviser to come down and between them they have advised her there is nothing they can do and that she needs to contact her bank..... they said "if you get no joy there then come back into store".

Now personally i think this is crazy and i want to know if this is correct or do i need to go into Asda and cause a major scene ?????
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
41 Comments
Did your wife put any pertol in her car at Asda last night by any chance?
Cashier was asleep, its their problem, not the bank, they need to sort it in store,it's theft on their part.
Inb4 WIHAD slagging you for shopping at Asda

Anyway, I'd go back to and demand to see the Manager.

I presume the two transactions are for an identical amount, obviously?
Original Poster
unquestioned

Did your wife put any pertol in her car at Asda last night by any chance?

Nope
Bully

Cashier was asleep, its their problem, not the bank, they need to sort it … Cashier was asleep, its their problem, not the bank, they need to sort it in store,it's theft on their part.

hows it the cashiers fault, they cant make the till take payment twice, its an automated process with the till program.

If that program told them the card was removed to early then so be it, all the cashier can say is to redo the details..

It will be a case of talking to the manager i would say
I stopped using asda after the watchdog and which reports about double charging and the poor response from asda.

ASDA
winifer

hows it the cashiers fault, they cant make the till take payment twice, … hows it the cashiers fault, they cant make the till take payment twice, its an automated process with the till program.If that program told them the card was removed to early then so be it, all the cashier can say is to redo the details..It will be a case of talking to the manager i would say

I would say it's the cashiers fault for thinking the transaction had not been processed when it clearly had.
I would go up to the customer service desk, and ask to speak to the store manager. If you buy a dvd or something they can issue you refunds instore so this can be issued instore. If he/she tries to take you to a quiet place to speak, then refuse and make sure other customers can hear. I doubt you will have to wait long for a refund.
deek72

I would say it's the cashiers fault for thinking the transaction had not … I would say it's the cashiers fault for thinking the transaction had not been processed when it clearly had.

Exactly.
deek72

I would say it's the cashiers fault for thinking the transaction had not … I would say it's the cashiers fault for thinking the transaction had not been processed when it clearly had.

Well going on my experience when i worked part time at tesco (not quite the same i know), then the program on the till came up with a message saying the card was removed to early and it had to be redone. The cashier does no thinking, the program prompts them for everything.

Thus its the programs fault
Edited by: "winifer" 25th Feb 2012
go in Asda and they can bring up the till receipt for that transaction also you have proof too with the mini statements, tell them they can refund the money back to your wifes account, will take about 48 hours i think.if not cause a scene. GL
winifer

Well going on my experience when i worked part time at tesco (not quite … Well going on my experience when i worked part time at tesco (not quite the same i know), then the program on the till came up with a message saying the card was removed to early and it had to be redone. The cashier does no thinking, the program prompts them for everything.Thus its the programs fault

That's my point. I don't think the computer would have said 'card removed too early' if the transaction had gone through.
Anyway, it doesn't matter whether it's the cashiers fault or the computers.
It's not the customers fault so the manager has to sort it.
what a joke

its the systems fault this has happened not the bank and not the cashier

asda need to sort this tho sharpish what are your bank going to do give you money that asda owe you, no chance

get back there and start throwing soaps at them
Original Poster
I think what im actually amazed at is the fact the advice offered was "theres nothing we can do you need to visit your bank and come back if they cannot sort it"......sounds like something a dodgy car mechanic would say.

I wasnt with her but i really would not have accepted that response .

The Asda is one of those smaller village ones rather than a large supermarket (not that i would imagine that makes any difference)
Email Asda direct and give them names/dates etc...
Happened to me before in tesco,it's what they call a ghost payment , it goes back to your account balance eventually as the store doesn't actually claim one of the payments,it could take maybe a week though
I have had this before, your bank has put a marker on the money, it won't actually take it, just reserve it for usually about 3 days. If it isn't validated it is released back into your funds. You need to call the bank, if nothing happens after the 3 days
Original Poster
grabbit

Happened to me before in tesco,it's what they call a ghost payment , it … Happened to me before in tesco,it's what they call a ghost payment , it goes back to your account balance eventually as the store doesn't actually claim one of the payments,it could take maybe a week though

This sounds really fishy !!...... basically have to accept the double payment and monitor the bank account hoping it refunds - really not happy with that idea.
google 'ghost payment'
grabbit

Happened to me before in tesco,it's what they call a ghost payment , it … Happened to me before in tesco,it's what they call a ghost payment , it goes back to your account balance eventually as the store doesn't actually claim one of the payments,it could take maybe a week though

yes happened to me to it goes on hold from your account then goes back in about 3 days later.
I would still contact someone higher up than a floor supervisor...
http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/product/24969599/view/1/type/png/width/280/height/280/asda-asbo-spoof-198.png
deek72

Wrong. If the cashier had let the customer leave the shop when that message came up then they could lose their job.
Banned
nick1981

This sounds really fishy !!...... basically have to accept the double … This sounds really fishy !!...... basically have to accept the double payment and monitor the bank account hoping it refunds - really not happy with that idea.

Doesn't matter if you're not happy. That's how the banking system works

Tough titty
Asda...state of the ark

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/113350/113350,1237971493,1/stock-photo-old-cash-register-isolated-on-white-background-27307141.jpg
Pay cash in future
Banned
Two words; Wait Rose.
Banned
How will this affect you not buying a house
Original Poster
dimebars

How will this affect you not buying a house

Haha like it mate... you want a link ??
lily2009

yes happened to me to it goes on hold from your account then goes back in … yes happened to me to it goes on hold from your account then goes back in about 3 days later.

And me, At Morrisons, However Morrisons did say if it doesn't go back in after so long to bring a statement and they would sort out it out.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 25th Feb 2012
I once bought some stuff from the Abercrombie and Fitch store in Florida (£100+) and midway through the transaction there was a powercut, when it all cam back on the lady asked me to do it again as it hadn't gone through. Thought I better do it as she was a solid 9. When we got back 2 weeks later it turned out it had gone through twice. E-mailed them and they refunded no quibble.

Seems strange Asda wouldn't have a similar stance on the situation
Something similar happened to me at Sainsburys self checkout, when the till suddenly asked for a signature rather than a pin. The checkout assistant fumbled about on the machine, which then asked for a PIN.

Online banking shows that the till debited my card twice, but the 1st payment was refunded automatically after a day or so. I think the till pre-authorised (reserved) the money I was about to pay for my groceries.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 25th Feb 2012
Banned
Yes but the OP isn't happy about how the entire UK banking system is set up

It's just not cricket
tinkerbell28

Maybe because it hasn't been out through twice? You were charged twice … Maybe because it hasn't been out through twice? You were charged twice easy peasy refund, if you noticed it two weeks later, it would have been an actual debit not a hold.Here asda authorise payment, lady takes her car out too quick before the transaction has been completed, so the money is held as an authorised ghost payment, but not taken. There is nothing to refund, it's in a holding account.Second transaction completes so she is charged.

So op hasn't been charged twice?
Happens all the time keep an eye on your account and you will find that it will be returned honest.
Banned
No sancho. They haven't
dimebars

No sancho. They haven't

http://www.roflcorner.com/wp-content/gallery/facepalm/facepalm2.jpg
As others have said it's a ghost payment, but if you're worried call your bank and they can tell you if it was actually withdrawn or simply held and not used (in which case you'll get your money back in up to 5 working days)
Had this problem a number of times when companies would authorise a payment using my visa electron card (effectively reserving the money from my bank) but then their own internal system would cancel the payment because it's a visa electron card.
Original Poster
dimebars

Yes but the OP isn't happy about how the entire UK banking system is set … Yes but the OP isn't happy about how the entire UK banking system is set upIt's just not cricket

Indeed i am - It would take a complete dime bar to actually think the UK banking system was anything but Ok........ x kiss
Let's go back to the barter system then.

I'll trade you a half tin of baked beans & this melted calypso ice cream for that 32' tv over there...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions