Advice please! HDD/DVD

Banned 14 replies
Found 8th Oct 2010
Howdy!

My parents are both in their 70's.
They have asked me to look for a DVD player that also has a HDD for recording TV.
So here's what I need
DVD player preferably with HDMI upscaling (they have a HD TV)
Large HDD for recording Murder She Wrote
Twin Tuners for Diagnosis murder/Bargain Hunt clashes
Above all it needs to be reasonably simple to use, if it has to have DVD writer fair enough, but they will never use it.
A good clear on-screen TV guide is a must and series links must be simple.
Preferably less than £250.
I've been looking around but the ones I have found have mostly had poor reviews.

14 Comments

Banned

if enough slots, I would always get a humax PVR (about £120) then a sony upscaling dvd player (about £40)

less hassle if dvd or pvr fails too

Original Poster Banned

csiman

if enough slots, I would always get a humax PVR (about £120) then a sony … if enough slots, I would always get a humax PVR (about £120) then a sony upscaling dvd player (about £40)less hassle if dvd or pvr fails too

I was thinking that, I think that may be the best option.

In exactly the same boat, can you series link on the Humax? It would be much easier to set up the programmes as such.

£80 for a grade A here £6 next day delivery.

No HDMI I see though.

Edited by: "greg_68" 8th Oct 2010

Original Poster Banned

If I go for separates, anyone recommend any?

Banned

greg_68

In exactly the same boat, can you series link on the Humax? It would be … In exactly the same boat, can you series link on the Humax? It would be much easier to set up the programmes as such.£80 for a grade A here £6 next day delivery.No HDMI I see though.

That is an absolute bargain. I have this model and it is superb (best PVR out there imo).

HDMI is irrelevant really as its a freeview box

It does have series link and programming is a doddle

manual here:-

i280.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

Splashed out the £86 on this and couldn't be any happier. The item although Grade A was completely unmarked and everything looked brand new. So easy to set up and use even for the older generation. A very similar set up to Sky+ in a way, just go on the EPG select the programme and it series links or just single episode records.

Highly recommended if you are looking to upgrade from VHS.
Edited by: "greg_68" 13th Oct 2010

Banned

greg_68

Splashed out the £86 on this and couldn't be any happier. The item … Splashed out the £86 on this and couldn't be any happier. The item although Grade A was completely unmarked and everything looked brand new. So easy to set up and use even for the older generation. A very similar set up to Sky+ in a way, just go on the EPG select the programme and it series links or just single episode records.Highly recommended if you are looking to upgrade from VHS.

check the firmware date as new one was released a few months ago and one in Jan 2010 to make it practically silent

Will do, the only issue I had with it yesterday was that Saturday's EPG would not populate, no biggie but stopped me setting up the series links for those programmes.

Banned

greg_68

Will do, the only issue I had with it yesterday was that Saturday's EPG … Will do, the only issue I had with it yesterday was that Saturday's EPG would not populate, no biggie but stopped me setting up the series links for those programmes.

you can tell latest firmware as it keeps EPG in memory when you turn it off

a major improvement for me!

Ok will try that, cheers.

Banned

embarrasingly, I posted this thread when I first got mine and its now the best bit of electronic kit I have ever come across imho

OOOPS!

hotukdeals.com/mis…081

Banned

you can DL firmware and update yourself via PC link

humaxdigital.com/uk/…spx

or leave on-air update switched on (I found it annoying switching on at night though) which updates every 6 months or so

I think you just missed latest over air update:-

dtg.org.uk/ind…php

Once the series links are all set that will cover about 95% of the recordings that will be made on this unit so updating isn't really a problem I don't think. Liked your previous rant.

Banned

greg_68

Once the series links are all set that will cover about 95% of the … Once the series links are all set that will cover about 95% of the recordings that will be made on this unit so updating isn't really a problem I don't think. Liked your previous rant.

still nice having the epg instantly available when turning on rather than waiting 5 mins for it to populate. latest FW also fixed a few lockups which I suffered from. Fault free now

who needs paid for TV (SKY!) when you can get one of these. Always have too mcuh TV to watch now
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Mobile phone advice22
    2. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?23
    4. dakine backpacks22

See more discussions