Groups
    EXPIRED

Advice please - laptop/printer cable

I've recently updated my PC to a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop (found via this site - cheers OP!)

However I have an old HP Laserjet 1100 printer and I now have nowhere to plug in the male end of the printer cable (has 25 pins and is about 4cm * 1cm in size) as I only have USB inputs to the laptop.

I don't have a clue if you can buy an adaptor to fit the old cable to make it USB compatible or buy a new cable with one end USB, the other end old style or do I even have to buy a new printer. And the only place I'd end up would be PC World or similar where I will end up paying through the roof.

Can anyone please advise the way ahead and maybe shortcut a site which sells what I need a little cheaper, if it is indeed available.

Thanks all from your resident technophobe!

9 Comments

you may find it on [url]www.kenable.co.uk[/url] or com... mine just goes into the USB on my vostro.

tony_s1;2484344

You probably need one of … You probably need one of these:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9135

Should do the job depending on your OS & if there are Vista compatible drivers for the printer......quite a problem with a lot of older printers :thinking:

Original Poster

tony_s1;2484344

You probably need one of … You probably need one of these:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9135

Seems this is the one tony. I take it I plug the male end of my printer cable into the parellel end of the cable you've suggested and the USB end into the laptop yes?

Quick, let me sit my Science GCSE. I'm getting the hang of this

Rep added for finding this. Cheers :thumbsup:

diggergraves;2484523

Seems this is the one tony. I take it I plug the male end of my printer … Seems this is the one tony. I take it I plug the male end of my printer cable into the parellel end of the cable you've suggested and the USB end into the laptop yes?Quick, let me sit my Science GCSE. I'm getting the hang of this :)Rep added for finding this. Cheers :thumbsup:

I think that you just plug the large end of the new cable into the printer and the small (USB) end into the laptop. It'll probably be obvious when it turns up.

A word of warning about dealextreme. Delivery can be very slow as everything comes from Hong Kong - up to a fortnight from ordering is not uncommon. But, they're reliable and customer service is excellent.

If you don't want to wait for overseas shipping, this one isn't a bad price :thumbsup:

techfocus.co.uk/USB…htm

Same day dispatch if ordered before 3pm

Yeah, your printer right now uses a paralell port which has been gone from laptops for a while.

You can't get a straight plug adaptor or parallel to USB cable since they're different protocols (they talk in different languages) but converters to change one signal to the other should work. I suspect the two linked should work as they've got very bulky parallel port plugs which will contain the electronics to do the translation.

You can also get parallel ports that plug into expresscard/PCMCIA slots but for a printer the cable is probably a better idea since on an old laserjet the size of a bulky plug is probably pretty small in comparison.

Original Poster

Thanks for all of your answers everyone.

Original Poster

corred;2485486

If you don't want to wait for overseas shipping, this one isn't a bad … If you don't want to wait for overseas shipping, this one isn't a bad price :thumbsup:http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapters-Dongles/TFA07.htmSame day dispatch if ordered before 3pm

Is this Paul?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Music download79
      2. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67
      3. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1416
      4. Can I do anything with an old router ??44

See more discussions