Advice please - looking to buy some form of home heating

Found 14th Sep 2012
I've just recently moved into a one bedroom home - I'm mainly living in the bedroom to save money. Using the kitchen and bathroom as needed. It's all electric - no gas supply. There's no central heating. Economy 7 tariff.

I've been looking at a storage radiator but very expensive outlay. I've also looked at oil filled, non oil filled and convector radiators.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should be looking for keeping the outlay to below £50 but getting the balance between heat and economy?
Community Updates
MiscHeating
34 Comments
Trouble is all electrical heaters are going to cost quite a bit due to the heating element. A fan heater is a no no, they are incredibly juicy. I think a halogen heater is probably your best option.
Have a look around, and look at the wattage of different heaters.
philphil61

some ideas I've been looking atArgos - Dimplex 3077 2kW Thermo Turbo … some ideas I've been looking atArgos - Dimplex 3077 2kW Thermo Turbo Convection HeaterArgos - Argos Value Range 0.45kW Panel HeaterArgos - Dimplex WP400 Low Watt White Steel Panel HeaterTesco - Tesco CH10 Convector Heater

Then panel heaters use a fifth of the electric that the dimplex convection heater uses. Probably your best bet. reviews don't look too bad either.
Original Poster
Thanks jonny619447 - just what I was looking at but wondering if the 400watt will be powerful enough to heat the one bedroom. I will wait for your and others comments before deciding
Banned
Get one 500w oil filled and one 2kw convector for when it gets too cold.
I can highly recommend getting an oil filed Hester from Lidl. Mine also has a fan heater inside for a quick burst of heat.
I have several of the oil filled heaters, from Homebase, Argos, Tesco and Lidl and the Lidl one is by far the best of them all for heating up a large room. People will tell you that so long as the Kw ratings are the same then all the oil heaters will be the same and I can state that's not true! It's the time it takes to warm up, the time it takes to cool down, its how far the heat dispurses and you should look into the reviews.
A cheap option could be to look locally on eBay for secondhand ones.
philphil61

Thanks jonny619447 - just what I was looking at but wondering if the … Thanks jonny619447 - just what I was looking at but wondering if the 400watt will be powerful enough to heat the one bedroom. I will wait for your and others comments before deciding

Like you say you have to balance between electric consumption and output. The thing with halogen heaters is they waste energy as well (they emit light) which is wasted energy as you don't need it as a light.

I have had oil filled radiator heaters, and halogen heaters. The oil filled ones do warn a medium sized room up pretty well. I haven't had a panel heater so I can't say but the reviews on Argos look ok. Look on Amazon as well even if its just for the reviews and see which ones people say work the best.
If you buy a panel heater and fix it to a wall consider installing some reflective insulation otherwise you will lose a % off the heat straight into the wall.

Surely ,if there is no gas , there must be cheap rate electricity ie ,economy 7. You can get slimline night storage heaters that do a good job , even second hand ones . I've been in a flat now for 19 years with no gas , brilliant thing too .............no gas bill. The cost of gas is going to rocket in years to come ,so will electricity though , but I'd rather have 1 bill to pay than 2 . I've thought about solar for years but never did anything about it .2 x 80w panels on the roof and 2 x 12v imersion heaters in the tank will give you loads of hot water , so there's a saving there .There is other things that would help ..................a 12v wind turbine connected to a 12v deep cycle battery running a power inverter would power all the lights . We'll all need something like this in years to come :-)
ricko

Surely ,if there is no gas , there must be cheap rate electricity ie … Surely ,if there is no gas , there must be cheap rate electricity ie ,economy 7. You can get slimline night storage heaters that do a good job , even second hand ones . I've been in a flat now for 19 years with no gas , brilliant thing too .............no gas bill. The cost of gas is going to rocket in years to come ,so will electricity though , but I'd rather have 1 bill to pay than 2 . I've thought about solar for years but never did anything about it .2 x 80w panels on the roof and 2 x 12v imersion heaters in the tank will give you loads of hot water , so there's a saving there .There is other things that would help ..................a 12v wind turbine connected to a 12v deep cycle battery running a power inverter would power all the lights . We'll all need something like this in years to come :-)

Problem with these are the startup costs. My panel, inverter etc all cost around £100 total and that only produces enough for a few lights. Granted it will save me money in the long run but its payback time is quite a while.
Original Poster
ricko

Surely ,if there is no gas , there must be cheap rate electricity ie … Surely ,if there is no gas , there must be cheap rate electricity ie ,economy 7. You can get slimline night storage heaters that do a good job , even second hand ones . I've been in a flat now for 19 years with no gas , brilliant thing too .............no gas bill. The cost of gas is going to rocket in years to come ,so will electricity though , but I'd rather have 1 bill to pay than 2 . I've thought about solar for years but never did anything about it .2 x 80w panels on the roof and 2 x 12v imersion heaters in the tank will give you loads of hot water , so there's a saving there .There is other things that would help ..................a 12v wind turbine connected to a 12v deep cycle battery running a power inverter would power all the lights . We'll all need something like this in years to come :-)

Thanks for such in depth and informative comment. You missed that I stated in my first post that I have Economy 7 and I think you missed the fact that I'm looking for minimal outlay (tight budget) that's why I'm living mainly in the bedroom - no point using the living room if I have to furnish and heat it!

Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Sep 2012
ecconomy 7 is a rip off, I pay less now I don't have it, compared to living in a smaller flat with it.

We bought a fan heater when we were in the old flat, that we would put on for a short while to warm the room so it didn't cost that much. I just used to bring my duvet into the lounge when it got really cold to save money.
Banned
and dont forget to switch your electric provider using cashback! Aim for about 10p per kwh unit
I have a halogen heater that im selling if your interested. used it once and heated up the area very nicely. i have a picture if you want to see and i still have the box.
The most important consideration is to ensure that any heat loss is minimised. That means effective insulation in all possible areas.
Without this in place you will be loosing much of the heat that is generated.
High humidity levels can also make a household feel cooler than it needs to be so have to ensure that any damp has been dealt with.
When you say you dont have gas, is that just in your property or the entire building. If its just your flat it may be worth getting connected. If its the whole building you will of course be restricted to an electric solution which is not necessarily the most cost effective
Banned
WoolyM

The most important consideration is to ensure that any heat loss is … The most important consideration is to ensure that any heat loss is minimised. That means effective insulation in all possible areas. Without this in place you will be loosing much of the heat that is generated. High humidity levels can also make a household feel cooler than it needs to be so have to ensure that any damp has been dealt with.When you say you dont have gas, is that just in your property or the entire building. If its just your flat it may be worth getting connected. If its the whole building you will of course be restricted to an electric solution which is not necessarily the most cost effective

Also important to bear in mind that you could be heading for damp problems if you are just going to heat the bedroom in winter and leave the kitchen, bathroom, lounge cold!
if things are really tight buy yourself a snuggie, the best trick is to wrap yourself up very warm...

I can not recommend storage heaters at all, the oil based ones are best as they continue to heat after they have stopped heating (if that makes sense)

Have the oil one set to 18 degrees and wrap yourself up nice and warm
I use an oil filled radiator, 2500w , it doesn't use all that power as it stays warmer by itself and just uses leccy to top up. Also has thermostat on it if you want to keep on over night at lower temp. Also safer than fan and convector heaters.
But take note that any heater no matter how good will be less effective if you have a high degree of heat loss so need to look at both in combination.
Original Poster
Some good advice and some crazy ideas but thanks for the comments

As stated I'm already on economy 7 tariff. There is no gas (only butane cylinders) on the whole estate! I've searched Ebay etc but nothing local and arranging for delivery on heavy items (storage radiators) from afar will cause the original price to become too expensive. It's one of those... if I see one local then I'll have a bid but I can't keep hoping and waiting that they'll be some soon... it's getting colder now.

Double glazed through-out - yes I'm looking for cheap but thick thermal type curtains (floor level) for the bedroom and a doorway. Roof insulated. I don't see any further (currently affordable) insulation options. Damp is an issue locally we're near a river and yes I understand it's better to keep the whole home heated if that's financially viable but it's not and that's why I'm trying to stick to the bedroom.

I've read some advice already about halogen heaters - they offer a more direct heat - as described like a torch - where the torch points the light will shine so therefore where a halogen heater points it will heat.

So I'm thinking to maintain a comfortable but controllable room temperature I need the oil filled or oil free thermostatically controlled radiator + maybe if I can find a cheaper source a 400w panel heater set be used in extreme cold and mostly on Economy 7

Thanks for all the help and advice

Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Sep 2012
Banned
csiman

Aim for about 10p per kwh unit

how do you do that with primary units?
Banned
lumoruk

how do you do that with primary units?

daily standing charge so you only get 1 tier of unt price
Banned
csiman

daily standing charge so you only get 1 tier of unt price

not in yet though ? I know like 10 years ago they stopped doing a standing charge on Eon saying we are making it better for you. Better my rear, just makes it harder to compare.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 14th Sep 2012
Banned
lumoruk

not in yet though ? I know like 10 years ago they stopped doing a … not in yet though ? I know like 10 years ago they stopped doing a standing charge on Eon saying we are making it better for you. Better my rear, just makes it harder to compare.

not really hard to compare as tier 1 basically adds the equivalent of the standing charge into it.

always compare tier 1 (no standing charge) to the tier 2 (standing charge) when looking for a deal

only benefit of no standing charge comes into effect if you are a really low user

I switched to ovo and prices are fantastic (8.9p for electric kwh and 3.2p for gas)

MSE newsletter advised a fix and the prices were 30% higher than I pay and I can only see them staying stagnant for the next year or two as they have raped us blind for the last 4-5 years)
Banned
BTW, I switch every year as a few minutes work = nice cashback (e.g. £200 from eon 2 years ago!)
Banned
csiman

BTW, I switch every year as a few minutes work = nice cashback (e.g. £200 … BTW, I switch every year as a few minutes work = nice cashback (e.g. £200 from eon 2 years ago!)

I'm a sucker for Eon's energy tracker

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8459/7985348965_f457a66d28_z.jpg
Have you considered setting your house on fire?
Banned
dga

Bloomin' hell, that's a some bonus that! I only got around £40 for … Bloomin' hell, that's a some bonus that! I only got around £40 for Scottish Power

yeah - all a bit tight now unfortunately
a new economy7 heater would cost around £120.

you are better off spending the money on this as in the long run you will save so much money from the economy 7 tariff.

it's a matter of saving the pounds by spending the pennies.
danmc

Have you considered setting your house on fire?

no. but i have, setting the OP's house on fire that is. X)
mutley1

no. but i have, setting the OP's house on fire that is. X)

Mmmn, adding to database. Mutley = firestarter (_;)
dga

Renting a place is rarely long term though.

the OP did not state that he is renting. are you stalking him? oO

if he is in rented accomodation then this question becomes irrelevant as the landlord would be responsible for replacing the broken economy 7 heater.
I bought one of these for when I get up on early starts in the winter. Instant heat and quiet. Not sure about costs, I only ever use it for half an hour, but a 14kg calor gas bottle lasts months.

ebay.co.uk/itm…dd5
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants