Advice please on keyboard/ piano and microphone and recording - music related

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
Looking for some keyboard instrument advice please. My daughter and son are both playing around on a P45 weighted keyboard that was lent to us by a friend. It is good but a bit basic and we wanted something slightly more whizzy though not massively more so. My daughter, in particular, writes songs and sings along with the keyboard and we would like something that enables her to record keyboard and voice together.

The wonderful music shop we spoke to originally suggested a Roland FP30 - something to do with having an app that worked well with it if learning to play the piano though I have no idea how good this is. Unfortunately we’ve just found out that there is no ability to plug a mike directly into the keyboard so in order to record both voice and piano we need to buy another piece of equipment (think they suggested a focusright scarlett interface) and maybe something else?

Does anyone have knowledge in this area that can please advise me.Is this the best route to go if she wants to a) record voice and keyboard and b) perform to small audiences. Will she need speakers too? Would we be better buying a different keyboard to start with so the mike can plug directly into the keyboard or would we need the interface anyway- or would we need a completely different set up anyway.So, for example, something like this - hotukdeals.com/dea…781 - would it be better? What doesn’t it have that the above does? Grateful for any technical advice. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I would say purchase a mixer and then plug the microphone, the required instruments and speakers into the mixer.
For cheap options Bheringer is pretty good.
eli7822/12/2019 19:06

I would say purchase a mixer and then plug the microphone, the required …I would say purchase a mixer and then plug the microphone, the required instruments and speakers into the mixer.For cheap options Bheringer is pretty good.

With this option you are most probably going to need an amp to power your speakers and also a recording device.
psychedelicrenegade22/12/2019 19:55

With this option you are most probably going to need an amp to power your …With this option you are most probably going to need an amp to power your speakers and also a recording device.

yes depending on the size of venue.
I use to use monitors (powered) to mixer as well as mic and guitar.
And for recording device Steinberg Cubase
That's all i required to record
This all might be a little too much for what we want - if we did not need it for performing but just for recording would you still be suggesting the same? Thanks.
fairy22/12/2019 21:45

This all might be a little too much for what we want - if we did not need …This all might be a little too much for what we want - if we did not need it for performing but just for recording would you still be suggesting the same? Thanks.

For recording, i used the mixer set up as i kept selling and buying back equipment to record-the mixer set up was the cheapest for me.
but maybe for ease, an audio interface would be sufficient, i used something similar to this (cannot find it) to record audio via cubase. (although mine cost around £150
djfinance.co.uk/m-a…tml
it has phantom power for the condenser mics too.
my brother records guitar and vocals and he uses a bheringer audio interface for around £50 and not bad quality.
This also comes with a lite version of cubase and waves vst plugins which are very good.
Edited by: "eli78" 22nd Dec 2019
fairy22/12/2019 21:45

This all might be a little too much for what we want - if we did not need …This all might be a little too much for what we want - if we did not need it for performing but just for recording would you still be suggesting the same? Thanks.

Op, yeah, we might be getting a bit technical. Eli knows his stuff and I was a sound engineer.

Software on a PC / Mac is the best way to go for recording / editing purposes - something like Cubase (already mentioned), Logic Audio or Pro Tools. If no one in your household is tech savvy, the software can look a bit daunting and can be confusing to setup.

Also, if you didn't want an amp you can get decent active (powered with their own built in amp) speakers from Tannoy / Genelec.

Tascam do all in one mixing desks with built in multitrack recording. This might be worth looking at?

Everything really depends on your budget and whether you are just wanting to record your daughter 'live' and leave as is, or whether you want to polish any recording with post editing?

We've probably given you more questions than answers now!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions