Advice please re: supermarket complaints

46 replies
Found 30th Aug 2009
Just looking for a little advice here please.
My Mrs has just found a dead maggot in a packet of pistachio nuts bought from a well known supermarket.
What would be the best course of action regarding complaining. ie. customer services in store, on phone, letter or email. Or writing to The Sun?
Obviously we are looking for compensation to alleviate the distress caused to all concerned parties : )

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
46 Comments

email with pics and see what comes back

So an extra bit of protein, just throw it away and continue with life.

boothy;6163634

+1 and tell them of your disgust and now your extreamly anxious that this will happen to some other poor customer :whistling:

id be well miffed as well if id found some nuts in a bag of maggots id just bought :x

Original Poster

boothy;6163634

Good idea. Could add some pics of the Mrs and kids with sad faces or throwing up as well.

take em to the shop and see what they say. if your not impressed hang onto them. Then get in touch with trading standards i fink

by "best course of action"-do you mean getting the best result for yourself? cos if you do,go into the store-show the department manager the evidence-be polite but firm-tell a few porkies about how unwell your wife was,and explain that you are just informing him out of courtesy but are taking the matter to environmental health department.

Then its just a matter of how many vouchers they will give you to hand over the evidence to them for "independent testing"(ie-they throw it in the bin as soon as you leave)

caN I HAVE THE MAGGOT NOM NOM

richp;6163650

id be well miffed as well if id found some nuts in a bag of maggots id … id be well miffed as well if id found some nuts in a bag of maggots id just bought :x

:-D:-D:-D made me laugh

Original Poster

barky;6163678

by "best course of action"-do you mean getting the best result for … by "best course of action"-do you mean getting the best result for yourself? cos if you do,go into the store-show the department manager the evidence-be polite but firm-tell a few porkies about how unwell your wife was,and explain that you are just informing him out of courtesy but are taking the matter to environmental health department.Then its just a matter of how many vouchers they will give you to hand over the evidence to them for "independent testing"(ie-they throw it in the bin as soon as you leave)

thanks barky. are you speaking from experience?

With the maggot being in the packet with the pistachio nuts its had all the flavouring and salts.....so i'd say quite edible....

only kidding!

get some pics up to the store.....also name and shame!

Pull your greasy hair back in a ponytail, slap on a shellsuit and go on Jeremy Kyle crying about how it's ruined your life!

donnydude;6163693

thanks barky. are you speaking from experience?

lol m8-I work for asda-the managers are all told that in such instances their number one priority is to get the evidence away from you-Ive seen people get 200 quids worth of vouchers to basically hand over the evidence and shut up!

Last thing any supermarket wants is bad publicity,and they certainly dont want unscheduled visits from environmental health!

barky;6163714

lol m8-I work for asda-the managers are all told that in such instances … lol m8-I work for asda-the managers are all told that in such instances their number one priority is to get the evidence away from you-Ive seen people get 200 quids worth of vouchers to basically hand over the evidence and shut up!Last thing any supermarket wants is bad publicity,and they certainly dont want unscheduled visits from environmental health!

its got nothing to do with environmental health, it will be to do with the company that provided the said food, where it is packed etc

Original Poster

barky;6163714

lol m8-I work for asda-the managers are all told that in such instances … lol m8-I work for asda-the managers are all told that in such instances their number one priority is to get the evidence away from you-Ive seen people get 200 quids worth of vouchers to basically hand over the evidence and shut up!Last thing any supermarket wants is bad publicity,and they certainly dont want unscheduled visits from environmental health!

I had a feeling you worked for some supermarket lol. Sounds good to me.
(It wasn't ASDA by the way)

Sorry cant add rep gotta spread it 1st apparently

i would just contact the company that makes the product (well packages it) - send them the empty packet and explain what had happened - they will investigate - was the maggot hard or soft lol

cribert;6163731

its got nothing to do with environmental health, it will be to do with … its got nothing to do with environmental health, it will be to do with the company that provided the said food, where it is packed etc

a complaint of this nature to environmental health means a visit to the store to see what conditions stock is kept in the warehouse-obviously once the packet is opened there is no way of telling if it was correctly sealed at point of sale so certainly the shop gets a visit.

barky;6163758

a complaint of this nature to environmental health means a visit to the … a complaint of this nature to environmental health means a visit to the store to see what conditions stock is kept in the warehouse-obviously once the packet is opened there is no way of telling if it was correctly sealed at point of sale so certainly the shop gets a visit.

indeed, so the store can just say that the maggot or whatever was put there by the customer yes?

Make sure to tell them you ate some nuts before you found it - I would be SOOO angry if that happened LOL!

Deffo take it back to the store, they wont want other customers hearing about it - just act rational and make sure you speak to a manager

AND PLEASE update us :-D

OP,did you mistake the nut wrapper for a condom?:?

Just reminded me I have a bag of salad from asda with a spider in it still in the freezer, not decided what to do about it yet...... lol

i ate a moth once

it was a biggun too

As a journalist...it might be better contacting the supermarket..for like compensation as they would not want bad press. However if that does not work you could try the sun..that might force them to take the matter seriously.

Take em back to the store, you should get a free pack and they will send the infested pack back to head office who will then send you a £5 gift card.

Banned

another grasping compensation thread

what distress exactly was suffered by all parties?

take it back to the store, enjoy your free pack and the £10 voucher and stop going on as if you may have won the Euromillions jackpot courtesy of the maggot

transit;6164454

OP,did you mistake the nut wrapper for a condom?:?

genius repped

just see what they say as per previous posts,dont expect the world though,its not really that big an issue

dimebars;6166199

another grasping compensation threadwhat distress exactly was suffered by … another grasping compensation threadwhat distress exactly was suffered by all parties?take it back to the store, enjoy your free pack and the £10 voucher and stop going on as if you may have won the Euromillions jackpot courtesy of the maggot

+1

Thats disgusting. Especially if its just a regular maggot and not a quality one. Dont be fobbed off with substandard maggots

First compensation/damages case involved something very similar to this (Donaghue V Stevenson).

Strictly speaking if the packaging was sealed properly upon purchase then you should go direct to the manufacturer, it is them who owes you the duty of care to ensure that the product reaches you in the very best condition! Also you don't want somebody else to go through the same thing, and sounds like the company need to tighten up on quality control. I know here has been some stick on here but I personally think you have every right to be upset and want to do something bout it!

jtx;6164514

Just reminded me I have a bag of salad from asda with a spider in it … Just reminded me I have a bag of salad from asda with a spider in it still in the freezer, not decided what to do about it yet...... lol

Warm it up you heartless beast. But let it go in the garden :-D

Banned

wow a maggot in a nut, next you'll be moaning there was a maggot in an apple that came from an organic farm

seriously reconsider your priorities!

lumoruk;6168767

wow a maggot in a nut, next you'll be moaning there was a maggot in an … wow a maggot in a nut, next you'll be moaning there was a maggot in an apple that came from an organic farm seriously reconsider your priorities!

+1

richp;6163650

id be well miffed as well if id found some nuts in a bag of maggots id … id be well miffed as well if id found some nuts in a bag of maggots id just bought :x

LOL

get in touch with environmental health they'll make sure it doesn't happen again!

took a while but a genius idea

magicbeans

took a while but a genius idea

X)

Banned

If you are worried that this may happen to somebody else, then somewhere on the product is show say "if you are not entirely satisfied with this product" then contact Blar blar...ring the number and they will ask for the batch number and or ask you to send the product back to them....when I get stale Walkers crisps I just ring them up and they end out a £5 voucher.

If you are out to capitalise on this for as much as you can get then go to Customer services at the supermarket and collect a £10-20 voucher.

Sloth/Mod

slamdunkin

If you are worried that this may happen to somebody else, then somewhere … If you are worried that this may happen to somebody else, then somewhere on the product is show say "if you are not entirely satisfied with this product" then contact Blar blar...ring the number and they will ask for the batch number and or ask you to send the product back to them....when I get stale Walkers crisps I just ring them up and they end out a £5 voucher.If you are out to capitalise on this for as much as you can get then go to Customer services at the supermarket and collect a £10-20 voucher.

They may wonder why it took him so long

Write to or call Head Office.. if you take them in-store, the most you'll gain is a token amount at the store manager's discretion (no checkout assistant or customer service desk person will be able to give you anything, or care that much either probably) and you'll have to make a big fuss and look like an idiot. You're 100% right for complaining but people always roll their eyes at the guy kicking up a fuss and holding everybody up!

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    2. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79
    3. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?57
    4. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89

See more discussions