Expired

Advice please regarding Faulty Argos TV

Found 13th Mar 2013
Bought an LG 42LS3450 from Argos (First 1 before Christmas)

Which turned out had a faulty display. Issue with fast motion pictures on it with lines going across screen.

Returned to Argos and got a replacement on the 30th Dec.

Now this tv i have has got the same issue again all over.

Spoke to Argos customer service. Who said contact LG. they gave me number. Spoke to lg they said they will get engineer out to fix it and if not fixable "in home" i will be giving a replacement for the time its away.

Now its crunch time. Got call from Engineer who said its going to take 10-12 days to fix which is technically 16 working days as they prob wont work weekends. AND NOT REPLACEMENT OFFERED AS THEY DONT HAVE SETS.

Refused this. Back to argos customer service. Spoke to manager on phone who were refusing to tell with it saying they have a contract with lg to fix the tv if faulty within 12 months. and argos can't replace tv after 30days.

Argos also refusing about replacement tv now. Suprise Suprise.

Where do i stand can i take this back to the shop and demand a replacement as why should i do without a tv upto 16 working days as the engineers don't have the stock required to fix this.
Community Updates
AskTV
25 Comments
Sale of Goods Act

Your problem is with Argos not LG, don`t let them palm you off with manufacturer help lines.

They have no obligation to provide you with a `courtesy` tv if yours is off being repaired, but they do have an obligation to repair it in a reasonable timeframe.
If you don't want to be without a tv whilst yours is being repaired. By the cheapest tv from argos and use for the duration that your one is being repaired then return it to the store saying it has an intermittent fault and get a refund.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

It says there you have thirty days to return the tv.
Original Poster
Gave up with Argos and LG and have cancelled engineer repair.

They are a complete joke. When i get a chance the tv is going back to store and i won't be leaving until its replaced.

The set's are obviously faulty as this is the 2nd one with the exact same fault and even LG Support said they had lots of issues regarding panels in 2012 models of this range.
Within the first 6 months its up to the retailer to prove the manufacturing defect, after 6 months its up to you to prove it.
They are under no obligation to replace it, they also have the right to inspect the set and see if it has been mistreated.
Its not nice but the sale of goods act also protects retailers from consumers who treat products like crap and expect them instantly replaced under warranty.
Argos will send it away to be inspected, they don't have tv engineers instore.

They must repair or replace in a reasonable time period, that's their obligation.
Nothing more, unless you paid for a service that offers more.
A tv is a luxury item.
Speak to Argos customer services rather than the store manager. They are usually very helpful. Since it is under 6 months old, the onus is on them to prove the set did not have a manufacturing defect. You have a strong argument that the first set had the same fault and you had it replaced within days only to find the second set is now doing the same. You should reject the TV and get a refund since you want something that is reliable and will last a reasonable time. Don't be put off by the store manager saying they have a contract with LG. If they do, good luck to them, however your contract is with Argos and it is for them to sort out for you.
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, The Therapist,

I spoke to a manager in Customer Service. Not instore manager.

Still didnt help.
Banned
SmokeyBandit

Gave up with Argos and LG and have cancelled engineer repair.They are a … Gave up with Argos and LG and have cancelled engineer repair.They are a complete joke. When i get a chance the tv is going back to store and i won't be leaving until its replaced.The set's are obviously faulty as this is the 2nd one with the exact same fault and even LG Support said they had lots of issues regarding panels in 2012 models of this range.

best take a tent with you then. They are under no obligation to provide a replacement whilst it is being repaired.
Does this apply under the sale of goods act

S14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and

(e) durability.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 13th Mar 2013
They still have the right to send it away for inspection.
You'll have to do without it until they have repaired it, issued you a new one or refund.
Stick to the supermarkets for your electrical items. Argos have gone the way of Comet and PC world for customer service: -(
Banned
SmokeyBandit

Yeah will defo be last time buying from Argos. Normally buy from Amazon … Yeah will defo be last time buying from Argos. Normally buy from Amazon who are in my books .1 for Customer service.Hope Argos are next to **** off down the drain.

so you hope 10,000 people lose their jobs cos they wont replace a 3-4 month old tv?

somehow, I doubt even amazon would do that oO
Original Poster
Its not the first time i have experienced utter rubbish customer service from Argos.

Pretty sure Amazon would have done alot more.
this whaw happens when u buy lg tvs there cheap this is why .i got pani had it 2 years its a dream
Original Poster
I stuck with lg as i had a 32LE5300 before this and that was an amazing tv.

Only got rid of it as wanted a bigger tv.

Edited by: "SmokeyBandit" 13th Mar 2013
SmokeyBandit

Yeah will defo be last time buying from Argos. Normally buy from Amazon … Yeah will defo be last time buying from Argos. Normally buy from Amazon who are in my books .1 for Customer service.Hope Argos are next to **** off down the drain.

ashmac

this whaw happens when u buy lg tvs there cheap this is why .i got pani … this whaw happens when u buy lg tvs there cheap this is why .i got pani had it 2 years its a dream

Amazon will send you a new TV the same day if in stock, well they did for me, and sent someone to collect the old one

Argos are a joke with returns, they always try to fob customers off to the manufacturers, their staff are either trained to do this, or seem oblivious to the SOGA, they even argue with you when you take a print out of the SOGA and shove it in their face! as i have done myself!

Funny, as my TV which failed was a panny..
Edited by: "jayjayuk1234" 13th Mar 2013
Banned
jayjayuk1234

Amazon will send you a new TV the same day if in stock, well they did for … Amazon will send you a new TV the same day if in stock, well they did for me, and sent someone to collect the old oneArgos are a joke with returns, they always try to fob customers off to the manufacturers, their staff are either trained to do this, or seem oblivious to the SOGA, they even argue with you when you take a print out of the SOGA and shove it in their face! as i have done myself!Funny, as my TV which failed was a panny..

and how old was it?
csiman

and how old was it?

5 months or so
ashmac

this whaw happens when u buy lg tvs there cheap this is why .i got pani … this whaw happens when u buy lg tvs there cheap this is why .i got pani had it 2 years its a dream

got 2 LGs at home now, a 37" 5010 series and a pk590 50"
both over 2 years old, no problems.
have warranty on both of them inc a loan tv tho if either broke.

I bought a tv from argos hardly used was in the bedroom went wrong 12 months and 1 day from purchase Argos did not want to know. They sort of said it was tough. So we had to chuck. Was really annoyed never again would I buy anything big or electrical from them again. Sorry to hear op you have problem. Hope it gets resolved.
Just out of curiosity, does this fault happen when you are watching normal tv or is this your own produced discs or computer streamed media?
Under the sale of goods act, you have to give Argos the chance to rectify the problem, others have said the contract is with them which is correct, but it is made easier for the customer so they can just ring the manufacturer and they will come and repair it, if you went through Argos it would take longer etc etc. You can not demand a replacement unfortunately, the only way the Sale of Goods act will protect you here is if you not having a TV causes you significant inconvenience, but just by not being able to watch the latest episode of Eastenders is not significant inconvenience.

Ride it out, let LG fix it, if it goes wrong again you have a stronger case for a replacement/refund then.
Mumof1

I bought a tv from argos hardly used was in the bedroom went wrong 12 … I bought a tv from argos hardly used was in the bedroom went wrong 12 months and 1 day from purchase Argos did not want to know. They sort of said it was tough. So we had to chuck. Was really annoyed never again would I buy anything big or electrical from them again. Sorry to hear op you have problem. Hope it gets resolved.

Just because Argos staff members said no you still had a valid claim, a couple of letters to the right people in Argos would have seen you with a good percentage of the money back or even a new TV.
aircanman

Just because Argos staff members said no you still had a valid claim, a … Just because Argos staff members said no you still had a valid claim, a couple of letters to the right people in Argos would have seen you with a good percentage of the money back or even a new TV.

Shouldn't need to do that, it's not uncommon either, the majority of Argos staff haven't a clue what they're doing! They should be sufficiently trained!

We use southern electric to supply our gas and leccy and get Argos points on a card for free, I've been in argos before now and the MANAGER hadn't even heard of the scheme! and claimed that the website was not the usual Argos website, and therefore was nothing to do with them!

Having been messed about, they finally backed down, and offered me £50 of vouchers as an apology, did they turn up? no..

Not bought from them since
Edited by: "jayjayuk1234" 13th Mar 2013
jayjayuk1234

Shouldn't need to do that, it's not uncommon either, the majority of … Shouldn't need to do that, it's not uncommon either, the majority of Argos staff haven't a clue what they're doing! They should be sufficiently trained! We use southern electric to supply our gas and leccy and get Argos points on a card for free, I've been in argos before now and the MANAGER hadn't even heard of the scheme! and claimed that the website was not the usual Argos website, and therefore was nothing to do with them!Having been messed about, they finally backed down, and offered me £50 of vouchers as an apology, did they turn up? no..Not bought from them since

You are right that people shouldn't have to jump through hoops to sort an issue out, but if SOGA claims were done in-store, the company would go under very quickly, what I would say is that there should be a clear and set out guideline for every store regarding claims outside of the 12 month warranty period, rather than managers and staff just shrugging and saying no. I don't agree that it should be done in-store.
Edited by: "aircanman" 13th Mar 2013
Original Poster
The issue i am having is a tv fault. Not anything else.

I have tryed built in freeview. Tivo, Xbox, Blu-Ray player, usb media

all have same issue. all using different hdmi cables in different slot.

Tv has been set to factory default and have tryed updating tv firmware. No luck.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants