Advice pls: Moving home and fibre capacity full.

Found 8th AprEdited by:"top_pull"
Hello,
i just wonder if anyone has had any luck in getting fibre in a location where there is fibre but apparently no space for new connections.

Weve just moved to lovely new house, but I got really grumpy with BT when they told me I had to got back onto ADSL. Now I get get how the system works as its all BT Openreach. I’ve been added to the waiters list. But from reading on the web that seems to mean very little. Virgin hasn't made it to my side of town.

Both my wife and my job have an element of home working and I’m a bit concerned that going back several years in technology is going to “hurt”. First World problems for sure.
thanks in advance.

TP
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
Going back to copper will probably not be a bad as you think. With far fewer people using copper the speed is generally going up with less or no throttling. I was on a 5mb line, with predicted 3mb which is what I got at first. That increased, as the number of subscribers decreased, to over 12mb. Usable for most applications. As for getting fibre, I don't know of any way of bumping the queue.
Can you get 4G? Lots of good deals for data only at the moment. You could get a 4G router and use that instead of ASDL?
I had the same issue, fortunately Virgin was an option so went with them. Sky even let me order it and waited until near the install date to let me know fibre was going to be a no go.
Like ipswich78 says, look into getting a 4g data sim, there's plenty of decent offers around.
There are others companies what about Plusnet . Talk talk . EE. Vodaphone just do a Google
Splice4 m ago

There are others companies what about Plusnet . Talk talk . EE. Vodaphone …There are others companies what about Plusnet . Talk talk . EE. Vodaphone just do a Google

You’ll get the same problem on the exchange with other providers.
I think some slots are reserved for certain companies, try signing up with other providers
jb662 h, 11 m ago

I think some slots are reserved for certain companies, try signing up with …I think some slots are reserved for certain companies, try signing up with other providers

Not possible, reserving slots would go against competition laws, if the PCP is full then wait for the next slot or hope Gfast comes along as they have their own capacity.
In same situation, been checking 3-4 times a week for last 6 months with no joy. Only getting approx 3 Mbps so can't wait for an improvement.
Have you considered microwave broadband? It is transmitted to you via a dish similar to a satellite dish rather than phone lines. I’ve just got it myself as I live in the middle of nowhere and am very happy with it. Costs more a month (£40/£50) but means you don’t have to pay line rental unless you really want a land line.
Get the normal Adsl and get a 4G WiFi box and a sim with 50gb of data per month (that will give you 20mb + speeds). Use the faster stuff when you need it.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Apr
ItWasNotMe1 h, 54 m ago

Not possible, reserving slots would go against competition laws, if the …Not possible, reserving slots would go against competition laws, if the PCP is full then wait for the next slot or hope Gfast comes along as they have their own capacity.

Quite right that they are not reserved. They are paid for.

First try Samknows and have a look to see who else provides VDSL connections from your exchange/cabinet and check whether they can provide service.

Then try 4g as someone suggested.

Second (and you are going to love this), doorstep every house connected to that cabinet to see if the demand problem is widespread. BT add capacity based on visiblity of potential business. If you can prove to them there is interest in VDSL, they will shunt the upgrade up the queue. People need to sign up with expressions of interest via the BT ADSL checker website even if they have no actual interest but are community minded. Sounds grim and it is grim work. A mate and I did this to get a new cabinet and FTTC as a Community Funded project. Took us over 2 years to achieve it.

If you have genuine business premises (not residential home offices) attached to the cabinet, there are £3k connection grants available. You can aggregate the vouchers.

You could try talking to your BT Regional Director responsible for Community Partnerships with Openreach. They are tough to get access to but its a necessity. We also used and abused our local councillor because they merit more attention in BT world than us paying plebs. Someone in the council will be talking to BT.

You can also try to your Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) that is working to fill in broadband Not Spot holes. Ours is CSW Broadband covering Coventry, Warwickshire and Solihull.

Good luck.
cmdr_elito14 m ago

Get the normal Adsl and get a 4G WiFi box and a sim with 50gb of data per …Get the normal Adsl and get a 4G WiFi box and a sim with 50gb of data per month (that will give you 20mb + speeds). Use the faster stuff when you need it.

Is there s 4g WiFi box you would recommend? May look into this if I can get s decent prices data sim
cmdr_elito14 m ago

Get the normal Adsl and get a 4G WiFi box and a sim with 50gb of data per …Get the normal Adsl and get a 4G WiFi box and a sim with 50gb of data per month (that will give you 20mb + speeds). Use the faster stuff when you need it.

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve been slumming it with 4g while they sorted even outbthe basic broadband.

Thanks.
Original Poster
Bit of an update in case anyone is reading. :-)

Currently abroad for a family holiday, and got an email to say that my broadband installation date had been delayed by another 2weeks. I was pretty cheesed off about this so I got onto BT support and spoke to a nice gentleman (albeit a very hard to understand overseas accent).

Turns out the delay is because on inspection there is actually one slot in the fibre cabinet but it has a faulty card. It’ll take Openreach a bit longer, but BT have promised me Fibre in a few weeks.

Probably just lucky, but I do feel that getting rather bristly with them during the house move process kept me on the radar.

Thanks
TP
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants