Expired

Advice plz:: how safe is paying for goods via bank transfer? to a private seller on ie - gumtree

Found 18th Apr 2014
hi guys..
im always buying things off gumtree..
and most people ask for bank transfer then they will send goods..
so what protection level is there?
if i pay from online bank with a refrence to what im buying?
am i really protected? or is it once my money has gone to the other parties bank.i cant get anything back.if item is never sent and im conned.
paypal ..isnt as i thought it would be.it dont really give 100 % protection.for example i buy a phone for £300..after the 40+ days have gone.u cant open a dispute.incase the phone gets blocked.

thanks for ready and sorry for any spelling mistakes ive made..
cheers
Community Updates
12 Comments
NB Wef 17th June Paypal will be extending the period to make a claim to 180 days (currently 45 days). Informed of change by recent email. If you pay for goods purchase via PayPal and use your credit card to entirely fund the purchase you may be able to make a claim through your credit card company. Period may be up to 540 days.
which.co.uk/con…ack

Edited by: "redhot999" 18th Apr 2014
No protection whatsoever. Once you pay, there no way to reverse the payment. I got caught out by paying this way. Paypal is the safest bet. Hope all goes well
Personally I would never ever pay via bank transfer for items purchased from a stranger eg gumtreee ebay. Also never use the pay friends facility on Ebay either always use pay for goods. There are too many people who try to get pally and make you feel at ease just to screw you over. If they are genuine sellers they will have no problem accepting paypal
Dont do it!!! Please take it from me i paid £200 for a supposed iphone that NEVER CAME, do not under any circumstances do it stick to paypal
On top of that you wont get your money back as you gave it voluntarily
I'm amazed you would even consider paying for Gumtree items by bank transfer before receiving them
Original Poster
tallpete33

I'm amazed you would even consider paying for Gumtree items by bank … I'm amazed you would even consider paying for Gumtree items by bank transfer before receiving them

people who want to make a sale.really do sound genuine...

must be another way of paying..
dont want to use paypal.
do it through PayPal. but buy as goods an services. more secure and able to claim if it goes tits up
tallpete33

I'm amazed you would even consider paying for Gumtree items by bank … I'm amazed you would even consider paying for Gumtree items by bank transfer before receiving them

With you on this , it's a no brainer
When selling through gumtree I prefer bank transfers over Paypal, purely due to Paypal fees. However if asked then I will accept Paypal as long as they are prepared to cover the fees, as ultimately I see it as protection for them and not for me. I am also happy for cash on collection from my home.
If I'm selling an item, and someone wanted it shipping then I'd prefer to receive a bank transfer as I'm a genuine seller, who would prefer to sell locally anyway so don't want to risk a charge back. That said, if I were buying I'd only use Paypal and the pay for goods option, as I don't trust anyone. Can even get ripped off by people you buy the item from with cash who seem completely genuine so even bigger risk for someone you've never met. And even then I'd be hard pushed to send a Paypal payment as I don't trust people :p. And for good reason.
don't do it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants