Advice re eBay late Argos delivery

Found 18th Jun 2016
So I ordered an item on Monday just went. The delivery to argos store was for Wednesday. I went with this seller because of the quick delivery and was in desperate need.

Anyway on Thursday I contacted the seller via eBay to complain I hadn't received notification to say it was delivered and want to cancel.

Seller confirmed it was dispatched on Tue as I also received a dispatch email.

I got a text/email now to say item has been delivered to my chosen store and it's ready for collection.

I no longer need the item as I bought it from a local retailer. Where do I stand for my refund.

Please advise. TIA
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
eBay delivery times to Argos are estimates, not guarenteed. Sometimes Royal Mail are delayed. Sometimes Argos take a day or two to update system to say it's received.

I believe if you don't pick up the item, it gets sent back to seller and they'll refund you. But check this.
they won't refund
I picked up a couple of eBay items from Argos last week and I'm pretty sure the email said that if I didn't collect them within 7 days they would be returned to the seller and I'd get a refund, so just don't collect it and you should get your money back, though whether you get the original postage cost back I don't know.
it was free delivery. Thanks I'll check my emails and contact eBay.
so you ordered something, decided to but elsewhere, and want a refund, leaving the seller on ebay out of pocket...
nice.

chavhunter

they won't refund

They will refund. OP, if you don't collect the item from Argos, Ebay pay for it to be returned to the seller who then actions the refund in full.

Here's what we found for "Picking up Click & Collect items"When your … Here's what we found for "Picking up Click & Collect items"When your parcel is ready to collect you'll receive an email notification (and SMS if you've selected this). The notification will include a collection code. Take this to your selected store to collect your parcel.Allow up to 5 business days for delivery. If you haven't received your notification within this time, check your messages in My eBay. You can also check the status of your item by selecting View order details in your Purchase History.If you're not able to pick up the parcel from your selected store within 7 days, it will be automatically returned to the seller. You'll be refunded within 6 business days of the seller receiving the returned item.You can arrange for someone else to collect your parcel as long as they have your collection code.Your parcel can only be collected from your selected store.

I think you will be able to get a full refund seeing as it was marked as free postage. If it had a specified amount then the seller would not need to refund postage due to your change of mind on the order or not collecting from Argos. The only way to determine what date the seller actually sent the item is to check package. Unless there was any guarantee for the item to be with you by a certain date, I do feel for the seller if they are out of pocket for this.

an after thought: I am unaware if you as a seller need to pay postage to Argos as I believe it has to be listed as free postage.
Edited by: "Klikbeit" 18th Jun 2016
Don't collect it, it will be returned to the seller, and they will be forced to offer you a full refund.

I know this, as I run an online business and get 5+ a week.
Another reason eBay has gone down hill
Bradleigh

This a thousand fold.

Suck it up collect your item & if its ok then resell it on. I do not like ebayers like you.
centurion01

so you ordered something, decided to but elsewhere, and want a refund, … so you ordered something, decided to but elsewhere, and want a refund, leaving the seller on ebay out of pocket...nice.

​i ordered the item as a genuine purchase, as the seller advertised it will be delivered within 2days. The seller failed to deliver as advertised therefore I'm in my legal right for a refund.

It doesn't matter if there was a delay with royal mail or argos booking in their delivery at the end of the day the seller failed to deliver as advertised and business is business.
YouDontWantToKnow

This a thousand fold.Suck it up collect your item & if its ok then resell … This a thousand fold.Suck it up collect your item & if its ok then resell it on. I do not like ebayers like you.

​seller failed to deliver as advertised so his in the wrong. I am entitled to my refund. This was a genuine purchase for item used for a particular day. Fault is on the sellers end.
Bradleigh

Seller has stated it will dispatch the item within 1 working day upon … Seller has stated it will dispatch the item within 1 working day upon receipt of cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab. Estimated delivery dates - opens in a new window or tab include seller's dispatch time, and will depend on postal service selected. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

Estimated delivery dateThe estimated delivery date gives you an … Estimated delivery dateThe estimated delivery date gives you an indication of how long it will take to receive the item. It's based on the seller's dispatch time, the postage service selected and when the seller receives cleared payment. In certain cases, the estimated delivery date will vary.Working daysThe estimated delivery is given in working days (normal weekdays). Dispatch times don't include Saturdays, Sundays and major holidays. Transit times don't include major holidays and Sundays, but may include Saturdays, depending on the delivery service provider. For example, transit times for Royal Mail services include Monday to Saturday (exception: Royal Mail Special Delivery services include Monday to Friday with an additional charge for Saturday delivery).Dispatch timeSellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and post the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a dispatch time between same-day and 30 working days.Delivery servicesSome delivery services provide an estimate for the number of working days that it will take to deliver the item to the buyer. This transit time does not include the seller's dispatch time.Cleared paymentA payment is considered 'cleared' after your payment has been deposited into the seller's account. If you pay using PayPal, the payment may clear immediately. However, if you pay by cheque or money order, your payment may take several days to clear.

think you need to reconsider your attitude because you are acting like an ignorant tw*t

grow up and learn to read with understanding
Can I have your eBay username? I'd like to block you and ensure I never sell anything to you as you seem extremely unreasonable and unable to distinguish the difference between guaranteed and estimated.
What a nice buyer you are
Are you sure you can't claim compensation for the postal service putting you out
Maybe you should stick to buying from local retailers in the future
Can you post your eBay username so we can add you to our blocked bidders list
powerjumps18

​i ordered the item as a genuine purchase, as the seller advertised it w … ​i ordered the item as a genuine purchase, as the seller advertised it will be delivered within 2days. The seller failed to deliver as advertised therefore I'm in my legal right for a refund. It doesn't matter if there was a delay with royal mail or argos booking in their delivery at the end of the day the seller failed to deliver as advertised and business is business.

If you needed it so urgently, why did you order for it to be sent to a third party rather than directly to yourself? Did you not realise that having it sent to somewhere else would do nothing but slow the delivery down?
for your information delivery to home and argos was the exact date, no where did it say delivery is estimated. No where anywhere on the page did it say delivery could be delayed with royal mail or argos.

I ordered an item to argos before it was delivered on time. I also ordered something for home delivery and it was delivered as it was advertised.

The fault lies with eBay for advertising reason and argos for their part.
What a disgraceful act by the buyer, maybe stop buying online. Appalling behaviour.
I hate these buyers who want things in a rush,they buy first and ask questions after.

I had one buy something on Friday afternoon for courier delivery and Ebay's estimate is 3-5 days,they then send a message saying they need it by Tuesday at the latest grrr
powerjumps18

The fault lies with eBay for advertising reason and argos for their part.

No

The fault lies with you. Like others have said, appalling behaviour.
powerjumps18

for your information delivery to home and argos was the exact date, no … for your information delivery to home and argos was the exact date, no where did it say delivery is estimated. No where anywhere on the page did it say delivery could be delayed with royal mail or argos.I ordered an item to argos before it was delivered on time. I also ordered something for home delivery and it was delivered as it was advertised. The fault lies with eBay for advertising reason and argos for their part.

than please show us a single auction with guaranteed delivery date
Can you let us know your Ebay username so we can block you?
Should have bought instore in the first place. Seller did exactly what is required by ebay but is now out of pocket thanks to your idiocy. I hope they refund him.
mattsokolinski

than please show us a single auction with guaranteed delivery date

​my eBay name is noneofyourbusiness.

As I've said before, I've ordered many items from ebay and majority of times items were delivered on time.
powerjumps18

​my eBay name is noneofyourbusiness. As I've said before, I've ordered m … ​my eBay name is noneofyourbusiness. As I've said before, I've ordered many items from ebay and majority of times items were delivered on time.

​eBay don't guarantee delivery times at all they are always estimates unless you pay extra for next day delivery or special delivery which you did not do. If you needed it so urgently then you should have done that. The buyer is not at fault at all here and you are being unreasonable to think it is the buyers fault. It is frustrating for sellers who through no fault of their own have to refund buyers for their change of mind or other lame excuse.
Have to agree with the majority. As you can tell not everyone who sells on eBay is a big business that can take a financial hit and that is why so many people are annoyed since it could have been any one of them. I ordered an item that stated 1st class but the lady posted second class and it was substantially cheaper, but nothing I could do. I saw it as unreasonable on my part to return the item and cause hassle. Obviously you will do as you wish but in future if you need something urgently then go and physically purchase it. Is it a game that you bought?
Ok, I get that you are annoyed. However I have to agree with the majority, the delivery is an estimate not guarantee.
Unless you can show the item you bought that proves its a guaranteed delivery and not estimate, then I'm afraid you are wrong on this one
did you ever hear of distance selling? if it's a business the op is well within their rights to change they're mind. and to be honest, some of the responses on here from sellers, I hope I never buy anything from you.
newwave19

did you ever hear of distance selling? if it's a business the op is well … did you ever hear of distance selling? if it's a business the op is well within their rights to change they're mind. and to be honest, some of the responses on here from sellers, I hope I never buy anything from you.

I think most of us are aware of that,it's the fact that many buyers these days can be quite demanding,they want everything in a rush and then when that doesn't happen they want to cancel at the drop of a hat.

Amazon have stopped some people buying from them because of their high return rate.
newwave19

did you ever hear of distance selling? if it's a business the op is well … did you ever hear of distance selling? if it's a business the op is well within their rights to change they're mind. and to be honest, some of the responses on here from sellers, I hope I never buy anything from you.

distance selling does not apply to auction style sales. only buy it now or second chance. ohh and it does not apply to private sellers
newwave19

I think that is part of the problem. Those regulations allow returns etc so therefore it's the seller who is really at the mercy of buyers. I also think it's because the op is also saying the delivery was guaranteed that angered some. it could be anyone not just a business and for your small one man operation it can be very disheartening when the odds are stacked against you with things that are out of your control. I'm pretty sure that Amazon was essentially slated for closing accounts due to returns, I could be wrong.
zainarafiq

I think that is part of the problem. Those regulations allow returns etc … I think that is part of the problem. Those regulations allow returns etc so therefore it's the seller who is really at the mercy of buyers. I also think it's because the op is also saying the delivery was guaranteed that angered some. it could be anyone not just a business and for your small one man operation it can be very disheartening when the odds are stacked against you with things that are out of your control. I'm pretty sure that Amazon was essentially slated for closing accounts due to returns, I could be wrong.

Exactly,recently I was trying to obtain a definitive answer from Ebay on Facebook and I repeatedly received different replies as what was the best course of action when a buyer contacted me as they wanted to return something that they bought in error.

I told the buyer they could have a refund of the sale price initially then I asked Ebay if I did this would I receive a refund of the final value fees and it appeared I couldn't.

Then another advisor told me to tell the buyer to open a return case which they did BUT this meant I then had to refund the whole amount including postage,yes I received a FVF refund doing it this way but it had cost nearly four pounds to send the item so I am now out of pocket on that due to the buyer buying in error.

I don't know a way around this as a private seller as it seemed whichever way I refunded I was out of pocket one way or another for their error.
I haven't checked it lately, or even if the consumer rights act has changed it, but the buyer used to be responsible for the return postage costs.
oh and by the way, I'm not saying the buyer is right to do this, as you all have said it's an estimated delivery date given, and when buying from you should always allow for an extra day or 2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions