Advice regarding Ebay/Packling shipping via Hermes

Posted 7th Jul
Sold a number of things on eBay last month including 2 units from my hifi - both around £150 value.
Due to size/weight I packed each in 2 cardboard boxes layered between them with bubble wrap, each outer box measuring 1m length. I thought it would be sturdy enough so I didn't go for enhanced compensation
Shipped to different buyers via Hermes 1 week apart, both got 'lost'?! Obviously I'm only getting £25 back for each but it's just really odd how this never happened to any of the cheaper items ~£30 I sent the same way, and I've sent >20.. Yet these 1 metre packages got lost.. stolen?
Has anyone had any success taking legal actions in a case like this?
It's also unecessarily complicated as Hermes would not speak to me because I purchased label via Packlink and Packink aren't the ones who 'lost' the package...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Sent hundreds of parcels with Hermes of all shapes and sizes, never had a problem.

Why oh why didnt you pay for full cover!!

Also, your contract is with Packlink i suppose as that is who you paid. Keep chasing and they will pay out.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 7th Jul
15 Comments
Sorry that you lost out on the items, it honestly sucks but I wouldn’t send a thing with Hermes, known for being the cheapest and worst.
Sent hundreds of parcels with Hermes of all shapes and sizes, never had a problem.

Why oh why didnt you pay for full cover!!

Also, your contract is with Packlink i suppose as that is who you paid. Keep chasing and they will pay out.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 7th Jul
Hermes is not even 'that cheap' anymore.. Never had lost items with them but didn't really sent valuable items either.

Definitely should've gone for full cover but never thought a huge box can get lost, even more so 2 of them one week apart
What did tracking show? Just out of interest
Edited by: "wayners" 7th Jul
41318385-7a77L.jpg
had that status for over a week and only when I got in touch with them I was told package was lost
I’d try ringing Hermes again:
If you would prefer to speak to us, you can contact our call centre on 0330 808 5456 between 8am and 4:30pm from Mondays to Saturday
Sometimes it depends on whoever picks up the call on how helpful they are.
The only thing you could cling on to is if Hermes open up the parcel and find the packing slip inside and return them to you.
Can you also upload what the Hermes website says about the tracking please.

p.s. I had a large parcel that was delayed in shipment for no apparent reason, the only thing I could think of was that with eBay doing the £1 fvf promotion Hermes were overloaded and someone at the depot decided to fill the vans with 100 small packages rather than 1 large one to keep their delivered on time records looking good.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 7th Jul
When will people learn? Don't use Hermes, pay the extra £1 or £2 and use a proper courier that doesn't rely on a bunch of people delivering in estate cars.
‘driver not scanned at depot’ is worrying, driver definitely has it, but as it’s not scanned, there’s no way to know who the driver is

however, this should ring alarm bells with Hermes, and by default they should refund you, unfortunately this won’t happen with a package of that price, which is why compensation is there, you just chose to take the cheap option
ArcadeAssassin07/07/2020 10:25

Sent hundreds of parcels with Hermes of all shapes and sizes, never had a …Sent hundreds of parcels with Hermes of all shapes and sizes, never had a problem. Why oh why didnt you pay for full cover!! Also, your contract is with Packlink i suppose as that is who you paid. Keep chasing and they will pay out.

Same for me.... hundreds sent, loss rate below 1% - obviously zero would be better but I really think Hermes are not much different from the other 'cheap' options, especially for low value sub-1kg parcels..... but I don't trust them with high value stuff any more.... if the price is higher the buyer is usually willing to pay slightly higher shipping, or I just suck it up and pay a couple of extra £ for DPD or Royal Mail. Worth it for the peace of mind. Especially true for breakable or awkwardly shaped stuff where the risk is greater.

The one time I had a high enough value Hermes loss to really bother chasing it it was a bit of a drawn out process to get it resolved. In the end they did pay out, but only after I hassled them on twitter, so that could be an approach. If you don't cover to full value that's your gamble though... if something happens you're SOL.
I keep telling people selling to use Royal Mail , I used to use Hermes every week because there cheap but there’s to many horrors story’s.

You should have used parcel force 48 I’ve been sending 20kg pools all month and the service is really good .
Just always pay for the full cover, worth it in the long run (as you have unfortunately learned).
To clarify, I don't normally send >£100 value items with Hermes but went for this due to their Print-in-store service.. since working from home, I wasn't able to print labels anymore so was forced to use this.
That's also the reason why both packages were packed in double boxes knowing that sending with Hermes is a risk..

Not going for full cover is totally my fault and yeah, wanted cheap delivery and got it... but still finding extremely odd the fact that both more valuable packages ended the same way..
Totally conspirational thought: since purchasing the label is done through ebay, it can include info about items sold & value.. also info about full compensation could be passed since it's just a tick box.. could they use this and randomly pick packages with >£25 value and no compensation declaring them lost/stolen/damaged?
Post a comment
@
    Text