Expired

Advice regarding fleas please!!

Found 20th Oct 2014
Hi, all hell broke loose in our house last night when my other half discovered 2 fleas on the cats towel which she sleeps on She was treated with Frontline Spot on 3 weeks ago. I combed her and didn't find any more fleas on her. Needless to say manic hovering followed and a lot of twitching haha! I've washed all the bedding, and I have bought Indorex flea spray to spray everywhere she goes - been told this is great and last for months. I assume that as there were no more fleas found, these were just two that jumped on her at some point. I've heard Frontline doesn't work anymore? Been recommended Advocate (£25 for 3 pipettes at the vets) or £14 online but you have to have a prescription from the vets before you buy - and they charge £10 for this!! I've ordered some Capstar tablets but just wondered if anyone has any experience or advice they can share before I scratch my skin red raw and lock the cat out Thanks in advance - sorry for the epic post....

1. Ask
  2. Flea
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Flea
15 Comments

We just got over this ourselves when the cat brought a couple in that then jumped onto the dog and well you can imagine how it went from there
We ended up just using the usual products: flea spray from wilko
Bob martin products
and lots of vacuming including vac the dog too

Been a week now but no scratching on human or animal

Had this problem few months back use spot treatment on the cat,flea powder carpets and hoover a lot! Sprayed whole house with indorex afterwards.

I tried the smoke bombs too but don't think they were very effective.

Also I put flea collor inside my hoover to kill any in there its all about breaking their breeding cycle keep cat and house clean then they will die off within a week.

Hi, similar issue here. Both cats were frontlined but that seems to have stopped working. Tried Bob Martin but again nothing.

In the end I treated the cats with
Fiprospot Spot On For Cats (CEFIP01)
• Pack Size: 6 Pack
• Includes Vet Product Questionnaire(POMVPS,NFAVPS)

Acclaim 2000 Household Flea Spray (500ml Bottle)

The Acclaim is enough to do a large 4 bed house and lasts they say a year. I have to say that since doing this I have seen zero fleas on the cats or in the house.

Warning the Acclaim kills anything that is in the room, I had various bugs bite the bullet after spraying it!

Frontline has been useless for awhile now, IIRC the EU banned the active ingredient found in most over the counter (ie non prescription) remedies.

Like numb3r9 we use Fiprospot and acclaim spray - worked great - especially as there seems to be a flea ridden moggie local that's reinfecting everyone else's cat.

I bought 2 Acclaim sprays fir a largish 4 bed det - didn't even use one can and I was very thorough.

O and avoid Bob Martin like the plague - lots of very very unhappy owners reporting problems.
Edited by: "capriboycraig" 20th Oct 2014

Do not use Bob martin products, They have been known to kill and make pets ill and they do not kill fleas, True it seems Frontline is no longer effective against fleas. I use Advantage on my dog from the vets. Prescribed flea treatment is a much more reliable cure for fleas. Although Frontline no longer works even from vets.

I have heard Advocate is good but probably same active ingredient as advantage as they are both made by Bayer.

My dog happens to be allergic to fleas and it cost me a fortune in vet bills.

I had this problem about 12 yrs ago. I took my cat to the vet immediately as I had discovered she had lots of fleas on her Indoor cat too! I hadn't seen any symptoms until then. He gave her an injection which kills the fleas immediately they bite the pet. Hoovering the house thoroughly is important of course but also then emptying the hoover immediately and sealing up the contents in a plastic bag or something. The real problems start if the fleas have had time to lay eggs in your house. If not, the hoovering and your other precautions should work. Pet fleas much prefer to be on a pet than on a human, so any remaining ones will prefer to bite your pets than you. If you have treated the pets, then the fleas will die after biting them. Therefore, I'd encourage the pets to be in all the rooms just in case!

I have sanded varnished floorboards in my house, which along with the fact that I hadn't realised there was a problem for several weeks, meant that I had a terrible job dealing with the situation, as they went under the boards, avoiding sprays and even bug bombs. I have dealt with serious issues in my life as most of us have, but that problem silly as it may seem to some, was just horrendous to me. You can't even just avoid a room until they go, since they just go into hibernation for up to 18 months then spring up as soon as they feel the warmth and vibration of an animal or human.

I now have a totally over the top HATRED for fleas!

Original Poster

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I must agree re: Bob Martin products. About 15 years ago I used their flea spray and it nearly killed me cat She went limp, tongue hanging out, hyperventilating. It was so scary. Shortly after that there were lots reports in the media of cats having an adverse reaction to their products and I've never used them since. Thankfully my moggy was okay shortly after but I know there were a lot of cats who weren't so lucky. I remember the injection method - I used to use that years ago and cant think why I didn't continue with it. Advocate is recommended by my vet- but Advantage seems much cheaper (4 vials for under £10 delivered). Very good feedback on this online - aswell as the Indorex spray which people seem to think works a treat.

Interesting that Frontline are still selling their product, at quite a high price, given that so many, myself included, feel that it no longer works! Thanks for your responses.

I had terrible trouble last year with my cats and fleas,i have always used frontline but it just didn't touch them.

Read somewhere online about Advantage spot on bought it from Amazon and within a day or 2 all fleas gone and haven't even seen one this year from one treatment around March.

Your text here
Edited by: "coys67" 20th Oct 2014

I had a major problem years ago when we moved house, I think pulling up old carpet was a big factor in the problem as they can lay dormant for ages and my cat had a few before the move, it was horrendous, my daughter at the time was only 17 months and she was being bitten left right and centre, I felt so sorry for her, I know it wasn't the cats fault but we took her to a cats home in the end, as I couldn't and didn't want this to happen again and we had to have pest control out twice to treat the whole house, was an absolute nightmare, puts me off having pets even though I'd love a dog when my kids get bigger.

Banned

Why on earth would anyone voluntarily put themselves through this.

Musician

Why on earth would anyone voluntarily put themselves through this.

Yea, I tried owning cats but when one got fleas we had to call the exterminnator in, and I had to get rid of them. You naively think frontline and hoovering will control it, but obvs it doesnt. I still miss the cats, but with a newborn, i couldnt risk another flea outbreak.

Banned

espirit77

Yea, I tried owning cats but when one got fleas we had to call the … Yea, I tried owning cats but when one got fleas we had to call the exterminnator in, and I had to get rid of them. You naively think frontline and hoovering will control it, but obvs it doesnt. I still miss the cats, but with a newborn, i couldnt risk another flea outbreak.

That's a little harsh, even by my standards. You could of just taken them to a cats home
Edited by: "Musician" 20th Oct 2014

Musician

That's a little harsh, even by my standards. You could of just taken them … That's a little harsh, even by my standards. You could of just taken them to a cats home

oh hahah, no!!! they both went to loving homes, I made sure of that! haha
didn't want my local kebaby getting hold of them

Edited by: "espirit77" 20th Oct 2014

Hi i had this problem a year or 2 ago. We had a stray cat cat hanging around our area and our cat was in her first season, everytime the front door opened she escaped to be re-infested by the stray. In turn our house became infested, normal bob martin and frontline just weren't helping, a vicious circle started house to cat, cat to house in the end we had send the cat to mother in law to be treated and we had to smoke bomb our house. Along the way I learned that fleas are very dormant in cold weather and it could appear your home is clear during this time. Come spring/summer the infestation could show, long after your pet had fleas initially, my advice is to treat your home aswell as your pets regardless.

I had a nasty flea infestation in my flat a few years ago. I was really baffled as to how it happened as, whilst I do have a cat, I have had him since a kitten and he had never been outdoors nor mixed with other cats. The fleas were everywhere, nonetheless. I used Front line on the cat, which seemed to work. If you need to eradicate fleas from the home I highly recommend Indorex spray, it's excellent and extremely effective. I would advise that you vacate the property after spraying thoroughly as the fumes are overpowering.
Good luck with getting it sorted though, it's a complete pain in the bum!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions