Advice regarding replacement of expansion vessel

Posted 30th Jan
Hi all, some advice from a plumber would be great here. My 9 year valiant ecotec boilers expansion vessel requires replacing. I’ve had a plumber advise that because the boiler is quite close to the ceiling he won’t be able to replace it and therefore would suggest an external expansion vessel. To my mind I thought it would slide straight out rather than up and out? What are the pros and cons of having an external expansion vessel ?

Is he just being lazy? Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Just a thought - it is often quoted that boiler these days are only expected to last about ten years, but obvious this is debatable! Would it be worthwhile considering a new one and a different layout with the expansion vessel?
The vessel is probably mounted top rear of the boiler - behind the combustion chamber (can't be sure dont know that particular model, but why would he lie) - he is right in saying he wont be able to access it if it is too close to the ceiling (he could but that would mean taking the boiler off the wall and would cost a lot - basically the cost of a new install minus boiler and accessories). Get a 2nd quote as you rightly said he may just be being lazy - and look at the boiler when the person opens it up to see where the vessel is, or just look up your exact model to see if it is indeed mounted top and back.
If you really to go all out on an expansion vessel.
Can I recommend the USS enterprise aircraft carrier
39797861-NNGw8.jpg
had a similar problem to your so the plumber fitted a generic expansion vessel of the same capacity in our airing cupboard, this was probably well over 5 years ago & had no trouble with it
Anglebox30/01/2020 13:48

had a similar problem to your so the plumber fitted a generic expansion …had a similar problem to your so the plumber fitted a generic expansion vessel of the same capacity in our airing cupboard, this was probably well over 5 years ago & had no trouble with it

thanks im in a 2 bed flat so space is a bit a premium, hence me questioning the decision for an external generic expansion vessel.
discozohan30/01/2020 12:52

The vessel is probably mounted top rear of the boiler - behind the …The vessel is probably mounted top rear of the boiler - behind the combustion chamber (can't be sure dont know that particular model, but why would he lie) - he is right in saying he wont be able to access it if it is too close to the ceiling (he could but that would mean taking the boiler off the wall and would cost a lot - basically the cost of a new install minus boiler and accessories). Get a 2nd quote as you rightly said he may just be being lazy - and look at the boiler when the person opens it up to see where the vessel is, or just look up your exact model to see if it is indeed mounted top and back.

thanks are you a plumber by any chance? If so what would you normally charge to install an external vessel?
rhythmandsoul30/01/2020 13:54

thanks are you a plumber by any chance? If so what would you normally …thanks are you a plumber by any chance? If so what would you normally charge to install an external vessel?

Not anymore. Used to be a gas engineer years ago but didn’t enjoy it. New/replace a vessel looking around £200
Are you sure the diaphragm in the expansion vessel is perforated.try putting more air in it. approx 1.3 bar.(if water comes out the valve it is perforated),
1850maggie30/01/2020 14:15

Are you sure the diaphragm in the expansion vessel is perforated.try …Are you sure the diaphragm in the expansion vessel is perforated.try putting more air in it. approx 1.3 bar.(if water comes out the valve it is perforated),

Not sure but it’s been diagnosed by a plumber that it’s knackered and a replacement needs to be fitted and as mentioned suggesting external
What was the original problem with the boiler?
Pilsbury1230/01/2020 16:11

What was the original problem with the boiler?

Error code f28 and pressure reached 3 bar. The boiler stopped working
rhythmandsoul30/01/2020 16:13

Just asking cos I had pressure issues on my boiler but mine was the other way, it kept losing all its pressure
Our expansion tank went in November, replacing the internal one was a big job as the tank was at the back of the boiler and you never know what removing it would cause to the boiler itself.

An external one was suggested but it was just less than £200 and would have looked a mess as it was in a larger kitchen cupboard. In the end replaced the boiler, didn’t owe us anything as it was 18 years old. Noticed when they fitted the new one the expansion tank looks to be much more accessible.

if you turn the heating down on the boiler, it reduces the pressure loss, and water that escapes through the drainage pipe but takes longer for the house to heat up obviously.
Edited by: "eslick" 30th Jan
Pilsbury1230/01/2020 16:14

Just asking cos I had pressure issues on my boiler but mine was the other …Just asking cos I had pressure issues on my boiler but mine was the other way, it kept losing all its pressure

This sounds like the same.there is no expansion available in the vessel ,the pressure will go up to 3 bar then the pressure release valve will open and empty water to reduce pressure to the overflow pipe.(pressure will then have dropped and shut down boiler till topped up)..
A TEMPORARY solution sometimes is to half empty a radiator turn up full so it does not turn off .then the air in the radiator acts as a expansion vessel.(NOTE TEMPORARY).
The low pressure was caused by high ph levels. Fully drained system. Put in decent inhibitor and it’s ok now. Think it was the alkaline causing issues with the aluminium parts in boiler
rhythmandsoul30/01/2020 16:13

Did he drain the system/boiler and attempt re-inflating, or did water come out of the vessel valve when pushed? If not then it may just need a drain and pump up.
What a scam. True. Expansion tanks do go. Call the boiler manufacturer support and explain that the plumber says the boiler therefore needs replacing. They will tell you if it’s a difficult job and recommend a trustworthy agent
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants