Advice regarding tree responsibility

Posted 14th Jun
Could someone advice if my tree branches goes over the fence to neighbours then who is responsible for pruning cost?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains the property of the person who’s land the tree is on. So your neighbour is within their right to put the off cuts back over your fence for you to dispose of.
jb6614/06/2020 11:00

They have the right to offer the cuts not throw them over the fence

To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours fence and they have asked them to cut it back and OP has refused and is wanting to put the cost to them if they want it doing.

No matter who’s rights are what, OP sounds like an inconsiderate neighbour if their tree is causing issues to someone else.
Edited by: "winzzz" 14th Jun
17 Comments
The neighbour is responsible for branches on their "airspace"
No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains the property of the person who’s land the tree is on. So your neighbour is within their right to put the off cuts back over your fence for you to dispose of.
Unfortunately although the tree belongs to the property it is planted on you are liable for the cost. And you aren't allowed to throw the branches back on to their land either
The below advice from the Royal Horticultural Society suggests that your neighbour is responsible for any costs involved in pruning your tree branches, overhanging their property. If they are instructing a tree surgeon you might wish to jointly pay the surgeon to balance the look of the tree, but there is certainly no requirement for you to do so.

RHS Tree disputes
Your neighbour is responsible for any costs that they incur, but if they have good reason, they can request that you take remedial action, for which you will have to pay. If you fail to take action, then they can then make the arrangements and you will have to pay for those.
winzzz14/06/2020 10:15

No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains …No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains the property of the person who’s land the tree is on. So your neighbour is within their right to put the off cuts back over your fence for you to dispose of.

Edited by: "jb66" 14th Jun
winzzz14/06/2020 10:15

No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains …No one is responsible for pruning costs, but whatever is cut off remains the property of the person who’s land the tree is on. So your neighbour is within their right to put the off cuts back over your fence for you to dispose of.

That's utterly incorrect
jb6614/06/2020 11:00

To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours fence and they have asked them to cut it back and OP has refused and is wanting to put the cost to them if they want it doing.

No matter who’s rights are what, OP sounds like an inconsiderate neighbour if their tree is causing issues to someone else.
Edited by: "winzzz" 14th Jun
neighbour is responsible for any growth on their land, whether the source of the vegetation is on their property or not. i had to pay for ivy to be removed as it came over from the neighbour's. the law is unfair in this in my opinion.
If I was the neighbour, I would set the tree alight on my side and then you would have wished it had never come into my space.
winzzz14/06/2020 11:25

To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours f …To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours fence and they have asked them to cut it back and OP has refused and is wanting to put the cost to them if they want it doing.No matter who’s rights are what, OP sounds like an inconsiderate neighbour if their tree is causing issues to someone else.

If i was their neighbour then i would somehow poison the tree
winzzz14/06/2020 11:25

To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours f …To be fair, it sounds like OP’s tree is hanging over their neighbours fence and they have asked them to cut it back and OP has refused and is wanting to put the cost to them if they want it doing.No matter who’s rights are what, OP sounds like an inconsiderate neighbour if their tree is causing issues to someone else.

Depends how old the tree is, some pre date houses for example
Forget the rights, if it's your tree why do you expect the neighbors too. Pay for it's up keep that's not fair is it unless they wanted you too grow the tree in the first place.

Do the sensible thing and prune it if you are the owner of the tree .
i know what you guys are saying that the OP should take responsibility and be a good neighbour and cut the branches that have intruded over to the neighbour's garden. but this is not the law and so the OP does not have to do so unless he feels extremely nice.

at our previous home, the neighbour always sent someone over to cut the branches back on our side and we thought they were very nice. they were just extraordinarily nice people. the neighbour on the other side was not so nice and we hardly ever spoke to them. they never asked us to cut any tree branches that came over to their side and in fact they came over to our garden and cut a tall bush on our side lower as it was blocking the light into their garden!

where we live now, everyone just deals with the branches that are in their land themselves so we have not gone over to the neighbours to cut anything and when we cut our front hedge, we only cut on our side and they cut the hedge on their side even though it is our hedge.

i am not sure what my response would be if the neighbours asked me to cut it on their side.
Thanks all. I have offered my neighbour to contact me when someone comes to give him quote so I can have separate quote but I think it will be easy to just chip in some money. I will speak to them again. I was just worried about the cost as it is not badly affecting them hence wanted to discuss here.

If someone could give me rough estimate for a 15 feet fence covered by 2 decent size trees
Edited by: "Saver77" 14th Jun
Saver7714/06/2020 14:52

Thanks all. I have offered my neighbour to contact me when someone comes …Thanks all. I have offered my neighbour to contact me when someone comes to give him quote so I can have separate quote but I think it will be easy to just chip in some money. I will speak to them again. I was just worried about the cost as it is not badly affecting them hence wanted to discuss here.If someone could give me rough estimate for a 15 feet fence covered by 2 decent size trees

don't know about 15 feet fence, but we got a tree cut down in london recently and paid £175 including the cuttings being disposed off by the tree surgeon and inserting ecoplugs into the remaining stump to kill it. this is extraordinarily cheap as the other two quotes were £200 to £288.

we got an apple tree removed in surrey at our home 1.5 years ago and that was £260, which included removing the tree from the property and inserting ecoplugs to kill the remaining stump.

then my tenant got a tree surgeon to come round and cut tree branches from a tree in the back garden for a property in london, so only to prune it and to leave the tree cuttings at the property for £75. my tenant paid for the cutting and I had to pay a gardener £60 to take the cuttings to the tip.

so very difficult to tell how much yours will cost as it depends on where you are, whether the tree cuttings will be removed from the property and how lucky you are with getting cheap quotes!

but the above figures will give an idea of a ballpark figure.
Edited by: "mutley1" 14th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants