Advice: Rejecting job offer

Posted 22nd Oct
I've accepted a job offer verbally, but I'm going to have to u-turn I think.
Is there any legal worries about pulling out of a verbal contract of employment?
They sent me paperwork, but I've not signed or returned anything yet.

Searched online, but there's conflicting advice.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
lanc197922/10/2019 18:45

I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding …I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding it until mid Nov to be sure I've got a job elsewhere first,

To be fair, that is not really fair on the employer or the other candidates
No worries whatsoever my friend. You may have to explain why (which is fair I suppose) but you have no obligation to do so. You are entitled to change your mind. I'm also sure that they will have possibly seen other candidates before you so you won't be putting them in a muddle. They'll probably contact their "No2" option who will be thrilled to hear from them.

Don't burn bridges though. Even though you don't have to, apologise for any inconvenience caused as you never know what could happen further down the line eh? Best of luck with whatever your plans are.

Regards, Phsy.
Legal worries ? Are you joking ?

What do you think they will do take you to court for not taking the job .

You have not signed any employment contact so as it stands you have no ties to the company apart form Them saying we will offer you a job .
19 Comments
Legal worries ? Are you joking ?

What do you think they will do take you to court for not taking the job .

You have not signed any employment contact so as it stands you have no ties to the company apart form Them saying we will offer you a job .
No worries whatsoever my friend. You may have to explain why (which is fair I suppose) but you have no obligation to do so. You are entitled to change your mind. I'm also sure that they will have possibly seen other candidates before you so you won't be putting them in a muddle. They'll probably contact their "No2" option who will be thrilled to hear from them.

Don't burn bridges though. Even though you don't have to, apologise for any inconvenience caused as you never know what could happen further down the line eh? Best of luck with whatever your plans are.

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix22/10/2019 18:40

No worries whatsoever my friend. You may have to explain why (which is …No worries whatsoever my friend. You may have to explain why (which is fair I suppose) but you have no obligation to do so. You are entitled to change your mind. I'm also sure that they will have possibly seen other candidates before you so you won't be putting them in a muddle. They'll probably contact their "No2" option who will be thrilled to hear from them.Don't burn bridges though. Even though you don't have to, apologise for any inconvenience caused as you never know what could happen further down the line eh? Best of luck with whatever your plans are.Regards, Phsy.

Thanks for reassurance - I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding it until mid Nov to be sure I've got a job elsewhere first, so I think the number two candidate will be long gone. I worry they'll have to start the whole process again, which is why my concern.
How strange i found myself in the same position today, i was relocated due to my company being taken over by a bigger company and them splitting the contracts and selling half to a new starting small company. I'm not happy with the new place being many miles further and right by spaghetti junction which can be grid locked, i was offered a job back at my old place by the new company that took over, but then i found they had lied to me about contract lengths they have with customers etc.. meaning the jobs not safe long term. Also when i told my new employer im leaving they increased my wages and offered me money to travel.
I just called back up and told them im no longer interested and they were annoyed but said ok thats fine

I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding …I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding it until mid Nov to be sure I've got a job elsewhere first,

Mark_Hickman22/10/2019 19:23

How strange i found myself in the same position today, i was relocated due …How strange i found myself in the same position today, i was relocated due to my company being taken over by a bigger company and them splitting the contracts and selling half to a new starting small company. I'm not happy with the new place being many miles further and right by spaghetti junction which can be grid locked, i was offered a job back at my old place by the new company that took over, but then i found they had lied to me about contract lengths they have with customers etc.. meaning the jobs not safe long term. Also when i told my new employer im leaving they increased my wages and offered me money to travel.I just called back up and told them im no longer interested and they were annoyed but said ok thats fine

Wish I could do this to my employer

Thanks for reassurance - I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, …Thanks for reassurance - I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding it until mid Nov to be sure I've got a job elsewhere first, so I think the number two candidate will be long gone. I worry they'll have to start the whole process again, which is why my concern.

I doubt they will hold it for another 3 weeks, they will be chasing for the signed contract very soon.
MR112322/10/2019 19:40

Wish I could do this to my employer

It was worth the risk for me, i found out my old manager was being sly and lying to me at my old place just to get me in the job because im already trained and pretending not to know info i asked about contracts etc.. but then another employee told me the same manager had told them the info i asked about.
However i still decided to mention my offer of employment to my current employer and play on it a little, give them a resignation letter and they gave me travel money etc.. to keep me there, even though i had a change of heart and was not really going to leave, but i had something to fall back on

Thanks for reassurance - I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, …Thanks for reassurance - I've been holding the offer for about 3 weeks, and could do with holding it until mid Nov to be sure I've got a job elsewhere first, so I think the number two candidate will be long gone. I worry they'll have to start the whole process again, which is why my concern.

I do not know the definitive legal position but if the prospective employer subsequently gets even a sniff of deliberate delay to change of mind notification I suspect the candidate will have some legal liability related to any reasonable additional expense that would not have accrued if the c-o-m notification was prompt; maybe readvertising & HR processing costs? Whether a company would choose to legally chase the deliberately obstructive (non)candidate is a different matter.
AndyRoyd22/10/2019 21:01

I do not know the definitive legal position but if the prospective …I do not know the definitive legal position but if the prospective employer subsequently gets even a sniff of deliberate delay to change of mind notification I suspect the candidate will have some legal liability related to any reasonable additional expense that would not have accrued if the c-o-m notification was prompt; maybe readvertising & HR processing costs? Whether a company would choose to legally chase the deliberately obstructive (non)candidate is a different matter.

thats just NOT going to happen.
No issues whatsoever. Like someone else says, try not to burn bridges would be my only concern.
tregs22/10/2019 19:32

True. No arguments here. But it's my family's future, so I'll do what's needed.
Mark_Hickman22/10/2019 19:23

How strange i found myself in the same position today, i was relocated due …How strange i found myself in the same position today, i was relocated due to my company being taken over by a bigger company and them splitting the contracts and selling half to a new starting small company. I'm not happy with the new place being many miles further and right by spaghetti junction which can be grid locked, i was offered a job back at my old place by the new company that took over, but then i found they had lied to me about contract lengths they have with customers etc.. meaning the jobs not safe long term. Also when i told my new employer im leaving they increased my wages and offered me money to travel.I just called back up and told them im no longer interested and they were annoyed but said ok thats fine

Very similar to me.
cmdr_elito22/10/2019 19:58

I doubt they will hold it for another 3 weeks, they will be chasing for …I doubt they will hold it for another 3 weeks, they will be chasing for the signed contract very soon.

Absolutely, expect them to which gets the next question. Pulling out of a signed contract?
I'm not trying to be unfair, the whole thing is a storm to be honest, didn't really want to be in this position. Thanks for responses.
lanc197922/10/2019 23:55

Absolutely, expect them to which gets the next question. Pulling out of a …Absolutely, expect them to which gets the next question. Pulling out of a signed contract?

Nearly all new contracts have a probationary period (usually 3 months) during which the employer or employee can terminate the contract for any reason.
You have nothing to worry about.
Technically verbally accepting an offer is a contract, but most employers will be reasonable especially if you haven’t yet started
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants