Advice - selling digital codes on eBay

Posted 6th Dec 2019
I managed to pick up a new Xbox via the Microsoft Germany deal and have a few digital game codes to sell.

Has anyone sold digital codes via eBay and if so any advice? I don’t want to be stung with the “codes didn’t work” excuse from a potential buyer.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
just make sure you post the codes and record the delivey, and you should be fine
emma1989x06/12/2019 16:09

just make sure you post the codes and record the delivey, and you should …just make sure you post the codes and record the delivey, and you should be fine

I never thought about posting the actual code cards.

I just assumed I’d take a photo and send them an email or direct message.
i dont think your covered with ebay then, you could get scammed, im selling a digital code on ebay at the minute, i would only post,
I think its technically against eBay rules for private sellers to offer digital delivery of codes.

Much better to post out cards by recorded post to ensure you are covered.
Best scam in the world. Never take a photo send it physical
Always send physical via recorded delivery

Make it clear in the listing as well to help avoid any scammers

Never send them via email/ebay message
Thanks guys! Top advise!
Listed on eBay now with the advice of this thread thanks
May want to have a little read of this recent thread:
hotukdeals.com/dis…309

Not exactly the same scenario but shows the pitfalls that can happen when selling "digital" media.

Kind regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 6th Dec 2019
#intrigued.
What difference does sending a physical card make, compared to emailing a code? Either way, the buyer can still claim the code didn't work, can't he?
They can’t if you have the picture of the code not scratched off on the listing
I've been scammed a few times selling digital codes on Ebay. Even if you send them the physical card they can still claim it doesn't work. Ebay will side with the buyer.
^ this.
You have to be creative how you word the description so you are only selling a card and take no responsibility for the code working. I've done this a few times and buyers have emailed to ask about it. I just reply that it's so i can't be scammed. Don't bother with recorded at this time of year just make sure you get a receipt from the post office for posting. If you send it recorded and it will fit through the letter box the postie will often not bother getting a signature at this time of year. You are covered anyway if the customer claims non receipt.
Azwipe06/12/2019 22:13

You have to be creative how you word the description so you are only …You have to be creative how you word the description so you are only selling a card and take no responsibility for the code working. I've done this a few times and buyers have emailed to ask about it. I just reply that it's so i can't be scammed. Don't bother with recorded at this time of year just make sure you get a receipt from the post office for posting. If you send it recorded and it will fit through the letter box the postie will often not bother getting a signature at this time of year. You are covered anyway if the customer claims non receipt.

Any tips on what to add on the description? My items are up on eBay now but I’d like to cover myself by revising the wording... thanks
Only sell to people with 20+ feedback as well as what everyone is saying above, no new accounts they’re normally scammers having a go

Put disclaimer in listing
Edited by: "3ak" 6th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants