Advice - Starting new role and getting interview for another job

Found 22nd Jan
Hi all,

I rarely post on here but could do with a little advice.

Before Xmas I was offered a role in a school, after working almost 4 years in another role, it came as a surprise after several failed attempts at other roles, the role is an Pastoral Assistant role working with kids who don't engage in mainstream timetable.
The role is just less than £14,000 pro rata.

Over the Xmas period, after I was offered the role but hadn't yet started. I was intrigued to see what other roles were available in the area, and I saw a Pastoral Manager role going at the school that I previously attended as a pupil, asking for GCSEs and a load of experience that I felt like I had.

I thought I may aswell put in an application, without mentioning that I had a new role, as what was the harm, and the wage is almost £22,000 pro rata, and in the event that I got an interview, I could re-arrange a slot after school to do so, letting them know I had a new role in the process.

So, to much of my surprise, I've been invited for an interview on Friday. However it is an all-day interview, meaning I would have to take the day off.

So in saying that, I'm looking for some advice as to what to do in regards to my new role, what rights do I have if I tell them that I am going for an interview, which I will need a day off for, in the second week that I am there... I don't get it, could this be indirectly held against me, could they say No to letting me go for the interview?

I would rather be upfront with them, rather than calling in sick, as the school I am currently working in have a working relationship with the school I have an interview for (such as pupils having inclusion for a few days in each others schools) so there is a possibility they could find out if something is said between the two schools, even if I ask there be the strictest confidentiality as to me attending the interview, I think this could still happen.

I feel like this is too good of an opportunity to pass up, as it is 33% more money that what I am already on for one, and closer to home, but not too close. But I really don't know how to go about it, any advice is good advice.

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I would not tell them your going for an interview, lying is the best option in my opinion, 100% go for it, you don't owe anybody anything, use a excuse as to why you need a day off, schools won't talk to eachother without consulting you, book ahead best excuse would be hospital appointment
Yeah I would call them up tomorrow and say that you had already had a pre arranged holiday and you will not be in work that day. I would never tell them it’s an interview, the first 12 months in a job they don’t need any excuse really to let you go see how the interview goes and if they offer it you and go from there
Tell the new place you can't do the interview that day as you need to book the time of at your current job. If they can't accomadate you till you can book the time off then they don't really want you.
Original Poster
4TheMenyNotTheFew30 m ago

Tell the new place you can't do the interview that day as you need to book …Tell the new place you can't do the interview that day as you need to book the time of at your current job. If they can't accomadate you till you can book the time off then they don't really want you.

I like this idea actually.

I'm not as fond of the lying option the more that I think about it. The working relationship between the schools is a worrying factor at possibly being found out and ending up with a misconduct meeting!
Be honest - ask for the day off (without pay).

Sometime you lose out by telling the truth but eventually it pays off!
Certainly don't lie. In interviews I always ask the individual what their current situation is and what they told their current employer where they are today. I've never had a full day interview but interviews can be rearranged. It doesn't necessarily reflect badly if you can't make the first interview date
borolad945 m ago

I like this idea actually.I'm not as fond of the lying option the more …I like this idea actually.I'm not as fond of the lying option the more that I think about it. The working relationship between the schools is a worrying factor at possibly being found out and ending up with a misconduct meeting!

The school may not be able to accommodate you with another date as they will likely be interviewing all candidates on Friday and will be making a decision there and then. Suggest you say it would be 'difficult' for you to attend to see if they can offer you another time but still leave it possible for you to attend if they can't offer another time.
Talk to your line manager, no one needs to know or would be told by them. You won't need to explain yourself or anything like that just let them know. Being open and honest is the only way to go... Ridiculous to suggest anything else. If you're dishonest it questions your judgement and professionalism in both schools when they find out. Your current job won't mind at all if they're professional. In fact, if you didn't get the new job they should admire your ambition and keep you in mind for additional responsibility in the future. Best wishes with it, exciting for you
Edited by: "ciaozammer" 22nd Jan
i would take the day off as annual leave and not say anything about the interview. they don't have to give you time off to attend a job interview, irrespective of their relationship with the new school.
Original Poster
Van197328 m ago

The school may not be able to accommodate you with another date as they …The school may not be able to accommodate you with another date as they will likely be interviewing all candidates on Friday and will be making a decision there and then. Suggest you say it would be 'difficult' for you to attend to see if they can offer you another time but still leave it possible for you to attend if they can't offer another time.

I'm thinking about trying this first, not ruling it out but sayign that I would find it difficult indeed.

mutley12 m ago

i would take the day off as annual leave and not say anything about the …i would take the day off as annual leave and not say anything about the interview. they don't have to give you time off to attend a job interview, irrespective of their relationship with the new school.

You must have never worked in a school, no such thing as annual leave haha, they seem to think the half terms, easter, summer and Christmas is enough time for us to have off in a year
borolad947 m ago

You must have never worked in a school, no such thing as annual leave …You must have never worked in a school, no such thing as annual leave haha, they seem to think the half terms, easter, summer and Christmas is enough time for us to have off in a year

that was going to be my next question as my husband lectures at university and he is not allowed to take annual leave during term time.

you could ask the new school for advice on how you can attend interview if you can not take annual leave from your current school. they will ask you the same question at interview as they would know from your current employment that you are not able to take annual leave.
Personally I would tell a tiny fib rather than lie. Tell them that the interview had come through for a similar job that (here's the fib) 'you had applied for before being offered employment here'. They will understand and appreciate your 'honesty' I'm sure.
Speak to your immediate manager/superior, explain the situation.

If you phone in sick or whatever excuse and get the job, great, move on, BUT bear in mind that your manager/superior may just be your boss again in the future....if it were a totally different industry/workplace I would probably lean towards a lie to get the day off, but if its likely to come out at some point that you'd lied to get time off for an interview I can't imagine it would go down well...?

Any boss worth there salt should be right behind someone trying to better themselves, you never know, they may offer you a wage increase....?
Be honest and upfront. If they say no, then tell the prospective employer they said no to giving you time off, it’ll damage their relationship then and then ask for it as unpaid leave (maybe take a week unpaid).
borolad943 h, 55 m ago

I like this idea actually.I'm not as fond of the lying option the more …I like this idea actually.I'm not as fond of the lying option the more that I think about it. The working relationship between the schools is a worrying factor at possibly being found out and ending up with a misconduct meeting!

You have every right to look for another job and go to interviews they can't discipline you for that but they can for taking time off and lying about being ill. It's always best to be as honest as you can with employers but that doesn't mean they have a right to know your business out side your duties.

Good luck!
Do you want to start your new job on a lie ,it’s a tough call but your new employer would respect you more for saying you can’t let current job down can they arrange a time to suit you better

But they mite not do this and get someone else
Based on many of my family working in management in schools I can tell you it will 99% come out if you take a sickie and then get the job if the schools already have a connection which you say they do.
Best thing, as already said, is to ask for a day off unpaid and be honest about it being for an interview. As you’ve been in role for such a short time they may even assume you applied before accepting the role with them. Mention that it is a job with more responsibility and hence why you feel you need to continue to push your career progression - don’t just say it’s more money! If you get the job then you’ll be setting out on the right foot... and if you don’t your current school will value your honesty and be aware that you are keen to progress.
Edited by: "buttonpushervic" 23rd Jan
Original Poster
It turns out honesty is the best policy.
I decided to speak to another member of staff about it and ask how our line manager would take it. She explained that she is lovely and would never stop anyone from trying to progress themselves, and that it was understandable that there’s a possibility that I could have 2 interviews whilst job hunting.
Spoke to my line manager who was grateful for my honesty and wished me all the luck. I did explain that it was due to the salary as to why the reason I was going for it, and she told me that people need to live and do what is best for them, and if I was unsuccessful it would not be held or used against me.
So I have an interview on Friday, and if I’m unsuccessful, have a great role to go back to with great staff support. Win win I think
Original Poster
Update: Didn't get the job, not particularly wounded, back to a job I love on Monday!
borolad9423 m ago

Update: Didn't get the job, not particularly wounded, back to a job I love …Update: Didn't get the job, not particularly wounded, back to a job I love on Monday!

Sounds like you played it well! All good experience, preparing you for the next time!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions