Advice - Starting up an e-commerce website selling books

5 replies
Found 24th Oct 2010
I'm looking to start up an ecommerce website, mainly for selling books. Seeing as I'm a newbie and don't have losts of dosh, I'm really looking for an all in one ecommerce package rather then programming my own website from scratch.

I've already registered a domain name and so I'm now looking for the best way (cheap is preferable) to create a website and a place to host it.

I've noticed that 123-reg offer an e-commerce service but looking at the reviews online, the general consensus is it's too extensive for what it is.

I just wondered whether anyone could recommend a reasonably priced comapny where I could easily design my e-commerce site. Seeing as I'm planning on selling books, the option of having a preview pages (like amazon) as an option would be extremely useful.

Suggestions would be much appreciated

5 Comments

ive used fasthosts.co.uk in the past, i found it easy to use. Dont think they have book page previews tho? have a look and see what you think

Original Poster

galaxyneo

ive used www.fasthosts.co.uk in the past, i found it easy to use. Dont … ive used www.fasthosts.co.uk in the past, i found it easy to use. Dont think they have book page previews tho? have a look and see what you think

The pricing seems very reasonale, but It doesn't give much information on what the esite builder is like. Do you have a website that I could look at which uses the eshop option?

I've also come across this ekmpowershop.co.uk for £19.99 which also seems like a good ecommerce building site, it is on the dear side however.

Banned

Not looked at the sites you have listed, but being honest, if you can't afford £19.99 to pay for a website, how are you buying stock?
Look at sites such as cubecart or oscommerce, both are usually included in hosting packages that use fantastico and both are free, easy to use.
For me, I found the backend of oscommerce much more user friendly.

i havent sorry im not running it anymore, theres alot of templates you can use, inserting pics and text is very easy, also alot of moving clipart you can use. You get 10 pages with the lowest price but you can get alot on them. Maybe just try for a month and see what you think, dont think theres a lenghty contract.

I use vidahost.com, a Uk company based in Bath

Very good service
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5am gym crew20137
    2. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    3. Marmite1823
    4. Krack WiFi vuln1121

See more discussions