Advice wanted for wiring up a new smart switch

Posted 13th Dec 2019Edited by:"fablanta"
I decided I wanted a smart switch for my living room light. All that I knew was that it should not have a neutral. but now that I have it I am puzzled as to how to wire it up.

The old switch has all red wiring going to terminals Common, L1 and L2. Unfortunately the switch I found only has terminals for L and L2.

I thought before I bought that the connections would be standard but obviously not. I'm kind of guessing that the Common wire goes in the L on the new switch. With mains voltages it would be stupid to guess so I thought I would come on here to ask. Am I right about L = Common? And what do I do with the two L1 and L2 wires?

3363039.jpgOld Switch

3363039.jpgNew Switch

3363039-xZkEo.jpgThe second light switch

The room has two light switches but I'm not really bothered about keeping the functionality of the other switch as I can use voice control with a smart switch installed.

(Don't worry the lights are off at the fuse box.)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
If anyone is unsure with electrics I feel you should get a professional just to be on the safe side. Imo
You have no Neutral at the switch from the looks of it meaning a WIFI switch won’t work
The exisiting switch is two way - there will be another switch for this light. The smart switch is just 1 way so can't be used without converting your wiring to one way and losing the funstionality of the other switch,
It looks like the original switch is wired for 2-way switching, where there are 2 or more switches controlling one light? Say 1 switch by a door and 1 by the bed? The new switch you have would stop any 2-way switching working correctly
adamalport13/12/2019 15:38

It looks like the original switch is wired for 2-way switching, where …It looks like the original switch is wired for 2-way switching, where there are 2 or more switches controlling one light? Say 1 switch by a door and 1 by the bed? The new switch you have would stop any 2-way switching working correctly

Sorry. I should have mentioned that there were two light switches in the room. I only tend to use the one switch anyway and with the smart switch installed I can use voice commands. So, I'm not bothered about keeping the functionality of the other switch anyway.
(I have now edited the main post to add the extra info.)
Edited by: "fablanta" 13th Dec 2019
adamalport13/12/2019 15:38

It looks like the original switch is wired for 2-way switching, where …It looks like the original switch is wired for 2-way switching, where there are 2 or more switches controlling one light? Say 1 switch by a door and 1 by the bed? The new switch you have would stop any 2-way switching working correctly

Like he said
it’s easily done if you know what you’re doing but difficult to explain and possibly beyond the scope of this thread?
Have a look at this - this is the opposite of what you want to do but shows the additional wiring to convert a 1 way to a 2 way. davesdiytips.com/one…ng/ You need to work out which wire is which - will probably need a multimeter to do this.

It would probably be easier to install the smart switch on the "other" light switch in the room as you will only need to disconnect these three wires which 'extend' the cabling to this switch.
Van197313/12/2019 16:24

Have a look at this - this is the opposite of what you want to do but …Have a look at this - this is the opposite of what you want to do but shows the additional wiring to convert a 1 way to a 2 way. https://www.davesdiytips.com/one-way-lighting-circuit-modified-for-two-way-switching/ You need to work out which wire is which - will probably need a multimeter to do this. It would probably be easier to install the smart switch on the "other" light switch in the room as you will only need to disconnect these three wires which 'extend' the cabling to this switch.

I had a look at the other light switch (new image added to original) and it is just as complicated.
fablanta13/12/2019 21:14

I had a look at the other light switch (new image added to original) and …I had a look at the other light switch (new image added to original) and it is just as complicated.

If you look at the other switch you have two wires in L1 and L2 - one of the wires from each of these will be the ones to connect to the smart switch. One (either L1 or L2) will be a permanent live and the other will become your switched live - you may need a multimeter to determine which wire is which.

Can't really help any more without being there - as they're all red! Ideally they would be identified in some manner - different colours or different coloured sleeves!
For what it would cost pay an electrician if u do it yourself it may work but could still be dangerous not worth trying to save money when it comes to electrics a simple fault could become a worst case scenario
What switch is that, if it's the DEN, they packed up, no server, no smart
THIS IS PROVIDING THE SWITCHES ARE CURRENTLY WIRED CORRECTLY - simple test is to operate the switches in turn, light on, light off, light on, light off. All the cables are Red as they're Live conductors.

ENSURE YOU'RE WORKING ON A DEAD CIRCUIT.

2nd switch - I would put the cables from L1 into L of your new switch. Likewise L2 into L2. Put an insulated block connector on the remaining Common.

You can leave the wiring in the 1st switch 'as is'

The WiFi switch doesn't appear to need a Neutral, if it does; unlucky as the Neutral is in the light fitting.

If the switch doesn't work, it's likely that the cables you've put into L of the switch need to go into L2 and the cables in L2 need to go into L.

**I accept no liability if you follow the above advice!**
Edited by: "spankwilder" 14th Dec 2019
The switch is the 1-gang version of:
EU/UK 1/2/3 Gang eWelink WIFI Smart Wall Light Switch Touch Panel APP Remote Control Switch Single Live Wire No Neutral Line Switch
I got it from Banggood (I cannot post the link as BG are banned on here).
spankwilder14/12/2019 01:00

2nd switch - I would put the cables from L1 into L1 of your new switch. …2nd switch - I would put the cables from L1 into L1 of your new switch. Likewise L2 into L2. Put an insulated block connector on the remaining Common.You can leave the wiring in the 1st switch, as is. **I accept no liability if you follow the above advice!**

Thanks.

So are you saying that you would leave the first old switch in place (the one in the top picture with just 3 red wires) and replace the switch in the bottom picture (the one with the 5 red wires)?

The new switch only has L and L2, there is no connection in L1 (or L3).
Is anyone else like me and wanting to blow the detritus off the last pictures bottom wires?

I don’t know if it’s just the OCD in me or if it’s the possibility of a fire risk running around in my head but I’m still wanting to blow hard at that picture, and the darned things won’t move!

I hope you sort it out soon poster.
Hi, I edited my original post.

'cables from L1 into L of your new switch. Likewise L2 into L2.'

The only switch you're disconnecting has five red wires in it.

The other switch can be screwed back to the wall.
The second light switch with 2 wires in L1 and L2 is the wires you need. One will go into L and other in L2. But u need to work out which wires are coming down from the main light. And which one is the Main Live. Without a tester or testing it live I wouldn't advise you do it as it's a bit more complicated then just turning off the power and replacing like for like. See if you can find someone that knows a bit about electrics to do it.
Also you will only need 2 wires in the new switch the other 3 out the switch will no long be in use.
It would be easier if the wiring was 3 core that was used from one switch to another. Because it's all done in red it's very hard to identify the correct wires for the switch from just a picture.
Edited by: "kash2013" 14th Dec 2019
kash201314/12/2019 13:04

Without a tester or testing it live I wouldn't advise you do it as it's a …Without a tester or testing it live I wouldn't advise you do it as it's a bit more complicated then just turning off the power and replacing like for like.

OK. Thanks. You've finally convinced me. This is a bit of a non-starter as far as safety goes. I'm not going to use this in the living room. AFAIK I will need to find a switch with L1, L2 and Common with no Neutral.
Edited by: "fablanta" 14th Dec 2019
Thanks for everyone's help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions